Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

I remember being on a tour with a guy, all of us sweaty, muddy, bloody, dusty etc and he never failed to get his tweezers out for a little pluck. Priorities I guess :) So there's really no excuse. 

14 hours ago, bickster said:

What is? The rent and the Fuel bills? They certainly aren't by direct debit. Why would you give a third party the right to take whatever they want, whenever they want from your bank account?

That’s not what DD is. 

And if it was that risky, again you’re being safe by letting your wife take all the risk instead. What a gent.

But suit yourself. I’ll stay with everyone else in the 21st century. 

Edited by Stevo985

13 hours ago, bickster said:

Yeah but think about this, if someone wrongly takes money out of your account (which happens very often), why should it take days for you to sort out with them before the error is rectified. And what happens if that was all the money you had to survive until payday or being all modern... it, in turn, means other direct debits go unpaid, which in turn affects your credit rating and more basically you have nothing to eat until you get paid next

All that hassle and grief... all because you gave someone the ability to take money from your account because you'll get the money back eventually

What happens if someone pickpockets you because you’re carrying all your cash around and that was all the money you had to survive until payday?

Are you really trying to convince everyone that bank accounts and direct debits are a bad idea?

:crylaugh:

12 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

That’s not what DD is. 

And if it was that risky, again you’re being safe by letting your wife take all the risk instead. What a gent.

But suit yourself. I’ll stay with everyone else in the 21st century. 

That is exactly what Direct Debit is, you are giving a third party the right to take money from your account at any time if they so wish. They may agree with you when that money comes out on what day and time but should they so wish they can change that. It’s not good customer service to do so, but will have given them permission to do that.

DD is exactly that, you giving a third party mandate on your account

One thing I will say which I find annoying to the point of rage, is when payments go out of your bank and you never gave authority for that transaction. That has happened more than once with me, and the one time a car insurance company took over 1k out of my bank. It took days for it to go back, so I kind of see where bicks is coming from there, but it's not that much of a problem where I wouldn't have my own bank account. 

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

What happens if someone pickpockets you because you’re carrying all your cash around and that was all the money you had to survive until payday?

Are you really trying to convince everyone that bank accounts and direct debits are a bad idea?

:crylaugh:

That would be my fault for carrying all my cash around on me at once.

No-ones ever done that to me, I’ve had plenty of money taken out of my account incorrectly though

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

One thing I will say which I find annoying to the point of rage, is when payments go out of your bank and you never gave authority for that transaction. That has happened more than once with me, and the one time a car insurance company took over 1k out of my bank. It took days for it to go back, so I kind of see where bicks is coming from there, but it's not that much of a problem where I wouldn't have my own bank account. 

I never said that was the reason I don’t have a bank account. All I said was it is perfectly possible to survive without one

25 minutes ago, bickster said:

That is exactly what Direct Debit is, you are giving a third party the right to take money from your account at any time if they so wish. They may agree with you when that money comes out on what day and time but should they so wish they can change that. It’s not good customer service to do so, but will have given them permission to do that.

DD is exactly that, you giving a third party mandate on your account

So, again, you just let your wife take that risk so you don’t have to?

32 minutes ago, bickster said:

That would be my fault for carrying all my cash around on me at once.

No-ones ever done that to me, I’ve had plenty of money taken out of my account incorrectly though

No one has ever taken money out of my account but I’ve been mugged. 

So is that not the same logic?

and if someone DID take money from my account, it would be a lot easier to get back than if someone broke into your house and stole your money from under your mattress or wherever you keep it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Direct debits may not be as bad a thing as they used to be but I still have a second bank account (with a different institution) solely as a payment account for DD transactions that I have to make.

• Like 1

Â