Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

It just seems a bit shallow to just tell them 'this is how it happened' rather than teach both viewpoints and let them make their mind up.

"Both viewpoints"?

There are thousands of creation myths and one scientific theory. Will you give them all equal time, or just focus on the one that is real?

In a Catholic school, looking at Creationism would be a requisite and I wouldn't have an issue with it if I could teach evolution at the same time. I could do a whole topic on creation myths really but I doubt the school would like it :D

At least they put Creationism under RE and not Science.

It just seems a bit shallow to just tell them 'this is how it happened' rather than teach both viewpoints and let them make their mind up.

"Both viewpoints"?

There are thousands of creation myths and one scientific theory. Will you give them all equal time, or just focus on the one that is real?

In a Catholic school, looking at Creationism would be a requisite and I wouldn't have an issue with it if I could teach evolution at the same time. I could do a whole topic on creation myths really but I doubt the school would like it :D

The Vatican's official position is that evolution is true. It makes no sense to teach anything else as well, that can only screw with the kids' heads.

"Both viewpoints"?

The Vatican's official position is that evolution is true. It makes no sense to teach anything else as well, that can only screw with the kids' heads.

It is? I'll copy and paste what the curriculum said.

"Children will learn the story of the creation of human beings from the Book of Genesis. They will explore and understand that humans are created in the image and likeness of God. The children will also know the story of Abraham’s sacrifice and Joseph’s relationship with God."

I might be worrying for nothing. It's very much in the 'religious education' section of the curriculum. Might be worth asking about at interview (if I get one!).

I was thrown out of RE most lessons for questioning the things that were presented to me as fact.

It caused all sorts of issues for me long term, the unwillingness to accept authority being the main one. Though at times that is a blessing!

Those who can, teach. Those who can't, teach RE.

• Like 1

I was thrown out of RE most lessons for questioning the things that were presented to me as fact.

It caused all sorts of issues for me long term, the unwillingness to accept authority being the main one. Though at times that is a blessing!

Those who can, teach. Those who can't, teach RE.

And PE.

Same with me, by year 9 I was permanently removed from RE lessons because I was either a nightmare during them or didn't bother going at all

I only liked PE for football and Rugby

"If you don't tie your hair back I won't let you play rounders"

"Fair enough, I don't like rounders"

"Oh... uh... fine, just play"

Yeah, that kinda of stuff is why the behaviour management stuff is the only testing part of PE lessons. When I first started, I threatened to make a kid sit out for not doing it properly. After realising that's what he wanted, I took his break time off him. He soon started doing it properly. It's about each individual child. Sometimes as well it's better to praise people to get the behaviour you want. In my Y2 class, I make a big deal out of praising those with good manners rather than scolding those with none*

*Boring thread invasion YEAH

I only liked PE for football and Rugby

"If you don't tie your hair back I won't let you play rounders"

"Fair enough, I don't like rounders"

"Oh... uh... fine, just play"

Yeah, that kinda of stuff is why the behaviour management stuff is the only testing part of PE lessons. When I first started, I threatened to make a kid sit out for not doing it properly. After realising that's what he wanted, I took his break time off him. He soon started doing it properly. It's about each individual child. Sometimes as well it's better to praise people to get the behaviour you want. In my Y2 class, I make a big deal out of praising those with good manners rather than scolding those with none*

*Boring thread invasion YEAH

That's good.

One of my PE teachers faced a similar problem so said "you can either do it properly, or go and pick litter up around the astro turf, I'll get you a bag and then at the end of lesson you can show me how much you've picked up, if it's not enough, you can come and do it on lunch as well." 

He did what he was told, silly prick.

:snip:

It is? I'll copy and paste what the curriculum said.

"Children will learn the story of the creation of human beings from the Book of Genesis. They will explore and understand that humans are created in the image and likeness of God. The children will also know the story of Abraham’s sacrifice and Joseph’s relationship with God."

I might be worrying for nothing. It's very much in the 'religious education' section of the curriculum. Might be worth asking about at interview (if I get one!).

Pope JP 2 was first to acknowledge that evolution was fact. Ratzinger did the same but changed the goalposts slightly to say that evolution couldn't explain where "spirit" came from (making it unfalsifiable and therefore impossible to discuss).

The NC mandates teaching evolution as the only extant scientific theory.

Inflicting cognitive dissonance on children by telling them that two mutually exclusive things are true should not be allowed.

Fwiw I was never taught about creationism at [my catholic] school.

RE was all about Catholicism, but every other lesson was as it would be at any other school. Religion never came into it.

Don't know if that's normal, but there you go.

Also, I'd argue that whilst I don't disagree that schools that only teach one kind of religion are wrong, surely you choose where your child goes?

Hungry but I can't be bothered to cook. I've only had two Pop-tarts today.

I do that all the time, sometimes I'll go into work on a Monday having not eaten since Friday evening, not for any real reason sometimes I just don't get hungry, if I'm not hungry I can't be bothered to cook, people think that's really weird

• Like 2

Hungry but I can't be bothered to cook. I've only had two Pop-tarts today.

I do that all the time, sometimes I'll go into work on a Monday having not eaten since Friday evening, not for any real reason sometimes I just don't get hungry, if I'm not hungry I can't be bothered to cook, people think that's really weird

I_know_that_feel_bro.jpg

At work I never bother with lunch as I just don't get hungry during the day and my colleagues seem to think this is the most amazing thing.

Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Sarah Chalke, Sandi Toksvig, Michelle Gomez, Jennifer Aniston, Katherine Parkinson, Jessica Hynes/Stevenson, Amanda Abbington, Olivia Colman, Jo Brand... there's loads of funny women.

I'm unfamiliar with Jennifer Aniston's stand up routine ....

Jo Brand was funny for about 13 minutes back in the early 90's I think

Who said anything about stand up? It was about being funny in general. I don't find any stand up funny in general, does one have to be good at stand up to be funny?
Yes

Do much stand up do ya? ;)

Saw Frank Skinner last night and as I left someone handed me this flyer

Clearly they haven't read this thread :)

5kiu5g.jpg

Â