Things that piss you off that shouldn't

AVFCforever1991

7 minutes ago, a m ole said:

you don’t have to raise it to your face, it works perfectly from waist height exactly where you’d use your thumb if you took it out your pocket. The only way it differs is you can’t do it while it’s in your pocket, but what farfetched situation would you need to do that in?

I don't know how far fetched I can make it, but I do this every single time I take my phone out of my pocket.

I guess the facial recognition works even if you aren't looking at it (in order to remain situationally aware). That sounds like it can recognise someone from their chin. I don't think so.

20 minutes ago, limpid said:

I don't know how far fetched I can make it, but I do this every single time I take my phone out of my pocket.

I guess the facial recognition works even if you aren't looking at it (in order to remain situationally aware). That sounds like it can recognise someone from their chin. I don't think so.

Great idea for a game-show. "Whose chin is it anyway?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Making an official complaint to the regulator is literally exactly what Mary Whitehouse used to do. 

EDIT: She also used to refer to legislation while she did it as well. 

Yes, and there was nothing wrong in prnciple with her doing that. The point is that she was merely a prude, who would complain about literally anything to do with sex (or even mild swearing). That's very different from what Raver is talking about. 

• Like 3

Agreed. The point seems to have been completely missed (although I suspect he's well aware of that). I think Raver's post raises the opportunity for an interesting discussion about what some people perceive to be double standards in the media.

Personally, I'm not sure what side of the debate I fall on but I can certainly see his point. It seems to be acceptable to portray men in ways that would cause a shitstorm if roles were reversed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, limpid said:

well i use it, and it does. you can turn off the setting that means you have to be looking at the phone for it to unlock too.

The way the facial recognition works is instead of having to put your thumb on the button, it just works when you swipe up. It’s close to seamless.

Edited by a m ole

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

2. Middle class kids (I was going to say white kids, but that's probably just the area I live in) using 'street slang' when talking. i.e; what I heard at the bus stop this morning: "Fam.  Trust.  I was so baked last night.  Didn't even link with any galdem."  NO. JUST NO.

Seems to be an abundance of these words removed in Four Oaks recently 

The wife is after coming back from getting a new phone s7 took it out if the box and plugged it in .... Without any further touching the screen is now broken ? ...wtf ..... I'm telling her to bring it back in tomorrow and say it was broken in the box ...it can be the only way it broke 

1 hour ago, limpid said:

But why would you need to unlock your phone and then not look at it?

Despite my better judgement, I got lured in to placing an order with PC World. It made me feel ill, but they had a piece of kit for a surprisingly good price.

Only to see this, for two addresses within a mile of Nottingham city centre. I guess we are a bit out in the sticks...

Sorry! We are currently unable to offer standard delivery in your area. Please enter a different delivery address to continue.

Excited to see what kind of non standard delivery they might offer me, I scrutinised the page, only to surmise that what they actually mean is that they can't offer any delivery in my area.

Incompetent clearings in the woods, I know not to bother again, at least.

17 minutes ago, limpid said:

"OK google. Navigate to nearest chip shop."

Fairly sure you can do that with Siri without unlocking. Could be wrong. 

Wouldn’t you have to look at your phone to follow the directions anyway?

Either way, it’s fairly niche. And again the OP was about acid attacks. So are we really saying that Apple are putting people at risk of acid attacks because you have to glance at your phone to unlock it?

its a bit of a stretch. 

Edited by Stevo985

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Fairly sure you can do that with Siri without unlocking. Could be wrong. 

Wouldn’t you have to look at your phone to follow the directions anyway?

Either way, it’s fairly niche. And again the OP was about acid attacks. So are we really saying that Apple are putting people at risk of acid attacks because you have to glance at your phone to unlock it?

its a bit of a stretch. 

I can't do it with Siri at all. Google reads out the instructions.

We are in the thread about things that piss me off but shouldn't. Removing the fingerprint scanner is up there with removing the headphone socket for me. And I'd be critical of any manufacturer doing there things, not just Apple.

23 minutes ago, limpid said:

I can't do it with Siri at all. Google reads out the instructions.

We are in the thread about things that piss me off but shouldn't. Removing the fingerprint scanner is up there with removing the headphone socket for me. And I'd be critical of any manufacturer doing there things, not just Apple.

I realise that, but it was originally I response to a post about acid attacks, which is the bit I find strange. But each to their own. 

31 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I realise that, but it was originally I response to a post about acid attacks, which is the bit I find strange. But each to their own. 

It actually started about people robbing phones on mopeds and how in London you can't have your phone out.  Which is exactly what a "use face to unlock phone" system encourages - because of your face.

• Like 1

Local news on the telly.  Usually a load of pointless shite and the presenters are terrible.  Harry Redknapp just showed up being interviewed at some Christmas lights getting turned on down a random street.  He didn't even get to turn them on, the weather presenter did.  Piss off.

5 hours ago, JB said:

Agreed. The point seems to have been completely missed (although I suspect he's well aware of that). I think Raver's post raises the opportunity for an interesting discussion about what some people perceive to be double standards in the media.

Personally, I'm not sure what side of the debate I fall on but I can certainly see his point. It seems to be acceptable to portray men in ways that would cause a shitstorm if roles were reversed.

Just for the record, I haven't 'completely missed the point', I just don't agree that the double standards that several of you perceive actually exist; that you could meaningfully prove they do short of making the exact same commercial with the gender roles reversed; that the double standards (if they did exist) would be any more serious than the double standards that exist with pit girls or podium girls or national newspapers speculating who won 'Legs-it' or any other double standard; and that asking for censorship is a good first resort for someone who values free speech. 

Just a difference of opinion, not a failure to comprehend. 

• Like 2

Â