Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

12 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

My eldest (6) has been complaining about "a bad leg" this week.  He's mentioned it a lot and we've missed football which was unlike him.

He mentioned it again yesterday, but when I got him to lie down and lift both legs, he could do it quite easily.  We thought it might be a muscle thing, but he woke up this morning at 2.45 and came into our room crying with pain.

Took him to A&E and it turns out he has a virus called Transient synovitis, which attacks the hip joints of prepubescent children!

I've been really wary of him about it, thinking he's pulling our leg about it, not quite believing how bad it was for him and now I feel so terrible about it, but he's not really been able to describe the pain - sometimes he can walk, sometimes he says he can't without pain, I got him to do the muscle stress tests etc and he passed them all, so I thought maybe a tiny fracture of his hip or something, hence A&E.

Won't be doubting him again 😔

They get all sorts of non specific things.  I remember being in A&E with my daughter when she was very young moaning about pains in her knee and couldn't walk after she fell over.  She was running around the next day. 

Nothing to beat yourself up over. 

• Thanks 1

I know someone who, as a kid, fell off a ladder and hurt their arm. It wasn't a big fall, they didn't land too awkwardly and weren't obviously hurt, so the day carried on as normal, they played, messed about, etc, the usual kids stuff.

Later that night their arm began to hurt, and they complained to their parents that their arm was painful. The parents just gave them some Calpol and said they'd been fine all day it's just the bruise coming through from the fall. More Calpol later, they were asleep. The next day the bruise had come out and the arm was stiff and painful. More Calpol, witch hazel to bring out the bruise, you'll be fine.

The next day the arm was agony and Calpol wouldn't touch it, so they begrudgingly went to A&E, where they quickly were informed that the kids arm was broken.

Said parents have never been able to live that one down.

Apparently as a young child I started moaning that my neck ached.  My parents told me to stop moaning and went about their normal Saturday shopping. 

All round the shops I was moaning about my neck ache, my dad admits he lost his rag with me. 

Anyway it turns out I had got mumps. 

They're still guilty 45 years later. 

The moment when Question of Sport lost me forever was when they decided to move the studio audience behind the teams.

Why? What was the thinking behind that? Was there a conspiracy theory among viewers that there was no studio audience and the producers wanted to prove there was? Did they feel that the live experience of it for those who had made the trip to the studio would be enhanced if only they could stare at the back of John Parrott’s head during recording?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

The moment when Question of Sport lost me forever was when they decided to move the studio audience behind the teams.

Why? What was the thinking behind that? Was there a conspiracy theory among viewers that there was no studio audience and the producers wanted to prove there was? Did they feel that the live experience of it for those who had made the trip to the studio would be enhanced if only they could stare at the back of John Parrott’s head during recording?

I’ve tried to get tickets over the years (my mom is a huge fan) and the waiting list was usually about 18 months. So I don’t think they struggled for a studio audience

11 hours ago, Davkaus said:

"**** the blues" is not appreciated during w work Christmas party rendition of sweet Caroline

There are other words to that verse?!

38 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I’ve tried to get tickets over the years (my mom is a huge fan) and the waiting list was usually about 18 months. So I don’t think they struggled for a studio audience

Oh I don’t doubt it’s a popular show to go and see being recorded. I just don’t quite understand why they felt the need to show us the studio audience after years of success without them occupying the background.

I used to think the audience in Top Gear kinda looked awkward, but there’s a bit more movement and jumping from one part of the studio to another so it makes a bit more sense that they’re spread out and visible “on stage” as it were.

11 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

At a rather nice restaurant last night for girlfriend's birthday, table behind us had what looked like mother, 3 kids about 6-8 yrs old and also their grandad.

Kids were given ipads or mobile phones to keep themselves amused,  which they did by playing the most annoyingly loud games with whistles, car horn noises and cats meowing. Mother and her dad didn't give a flying toss no matter how much noise the brats made and it was plentiful and often.

The missus kept me from going over and hurling the noisy lil words removed through the window. All I was thinking was I was paying three figures for a swanky dinner and I'm damned if I'm having it spoiled by the clampitts 😡

You’d hope that the restaurant staff might have a quiet word with them about the noise potentially upsetting other diners.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

You’d hope that the restaurant staff might have a quiet word with them about the noise potentially upsetting other diners.

Find restaurants are often too scared to do this anymore. 

The parents seem to take massive offence to it, post about it online and get people worked up saying that the restaurant is snobby, hates kids and gets a load of abuse. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

Erm....I thought so too but no. The grandad also had an annoyingly booming voice and "told" the kids off once or twice but was even louder arguing with his daughter about who should pay the bill. Just pay it and eff off !!!

28 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

At a rather nice restaurant last night for girlfriend's birthday, table behind us had what looked like mother, 3 kids about 6-8 yrs old and also their grandad.

Kids were given ipads or mobile phones to keep themselves amused,  which they did by playing the most annoyingly loud games with whistles, car horn noises and cats meowing. Mother and her dad didn't give a flying toss no matter how much noise the brats made and it was plentiful and often.

The missus kept me from going over and hurling the noisy lil words removed through the window. All I was thinking was I was paying three figures for a swanky dinner and I'm damned if I'm having it spoiled by the clampitts 😡

Reminds me of a family boxing day meal about 5 years ago in Lichfield, I was hungover from the night before so not in a great mood.

Some daft bint had a squealing, screaming child in the restuarant that did NOT shut up for the two hours we were there.

Of course I made a lot of very loud comments aimed at them which did very little, apart from annoy my own family and my missus didn't speak to me for the rest of the day.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 11:06, lapal_fan said:

My eldest (6) has been complaining about "a bad leg" this week.  He's mentioned it a lot and we've missed football which was unlike him.

He mentioned it again yesterday, but when I got him to lie down and lift both legs, he could do it quite easily.  We thought it might be a muscle thing, but he woke up this morning at 2.45 and came into our room crying with pain.

Took him to A&E and it turns out he has a virus called Transient synovitis, which attacks the hip joints of prepubescent children!

I've been really wary of him about it, thinking he's pulling our leg about it, not quite believing how bad it was for him and now I feel so terrible about it, but he's not really been able to describe the pain - sometimes he can walk, sometimes he says he can't without pain, I got him to do the muscle stress tests etc and he passed them all, so I thought maybe a tiny fracture of his hip or something, hence A&E.

Won't be doubting him again 😔

We have a 6  year old, when he was 3 he was always getting bad colds and we were told kids catch everything at nursery, so didn't worry to much, also took him the doctors who said the same.  He started to get a bit of a temperature, which again we thought was just general illness, then one day in the morning we couldn't wake him up, he just seemed so tired. Ended up taking him to A & E. To cut a long story short, he was rushed from Good Hope to Birmingham childrens hospital in a ambulance. Found out after about 6 months of colds he had a immune issue and his hemoglobin levels where dangerously low. He was given a blood transfusion and a week in hospital. He was back a week later for another transfusion and another 4 days in hospital, horrible times.

He is much better now, still has the immune issue and it's still being investigated, me and the Mrs have to go for blood tests soon to see if it's hereditary. He will be able to live with it as he gets older no problem, an he has been ill since and had Covid and been fine. But we look back at pictures just before the illness and he was so pale, we just didn't pick up on it, as he was acting like a normal 3 year old child, playing, running around. Like yourself, we obviously take nothing for granted now, but we proper regret not picking up on it earlier.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Find restaurants are often too scared to do this anymore. 

The parents seem to take massive offence to it, post about it online and get people worked up saying that the restaurant is snobby, hates kids and gets a load of abuse. 

If the restaurant is trying to market itself as a fine dining establishment I would think a complaint from a mother that they didn’t tolerate kids’ caterwauling would actually be seen as a positive review.

• Like 4

Â