Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

"I'm so sick of reading xxxx on Facebook!"

"I'm so sick of reading xxxx on Twitter!"

Yeah, because there's literally no way of filtering what you look at and from who is there?

That's you deleted then ya word removed :)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

But if you lived next door to him instead of using FB, you'd still have that problem. It's a people issue, not a social media issue. 

Totally agree. I'm not blaming Mark Zuckerberg for my right wing Uncle. It's just that in the circumstances I explained in my OP, blocking them isn't an option, because I would miss conversations with him about football, music, and my family.

15 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Totally agree. I'm not blaming Mark Zuckerberg for my right wing Uncle. It's just that in the circumstances I explained in my OP, blocking them isn't an option, because I would miss conversations with him about football, music, and my family.

I guess it just depends how bad his views are? I mean, if they were really objectionable, I would block, as I really would get worked up seeing that kind of guff/intolerance on my timeline, from a family member.

If they're just 'a bit right wing', then yeah, just live with it, and/or add your own views in there to give him a different perspective than maybe he's used to?

1 hour ago, dAVe80 said:

This is true, but as an example, I have an Uncle who I love dearly, but he isn't that clued up when it comes to politics (which is my way of saying he's not a bleeding heart leftie, like me). If I block him, I don't get to interact with him, regarding all the things I like about him.

You can hide him.

That's what I do with what must be around 50% of my FB friends.

It means you don't see the shite they post, but you can interact with them when you need/want to.

• Like 2

The (seemingly) sudden spike in people confusing "lead" with "led".  I'm even seeing it in popular media outlets, and have installed the Grammarly extension on Chrome which has even underlined the correct spelling in this post.

Led - the past participle of Lead.  A design-led organisation.  He led the team to victory.

Grrrr!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

You can hide him.

That's what I do with what must be around 50% of my FB friends.

It means you don't see the shite they post, but you can interact with them when you need/want to.

Yeah sorry, that's what I mean by block. If I totally unfriended him, there'd be hell on!

6 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

The (seemingly) sudden spike in people confusing "lead" with "led".  I'm even seeing it in popular media outlets, and have installed the Grammarly extension on Chrome which has even underlined the correct spelling in this post.

Led - the past participle of Lead.  A design-led organisation.  He led the team to victory.

Grrrr!

Probably not helped by the pronunciation of the metal!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jon said:

I guess it just depends how bad his views are? I mean, if they were really objectionable, I would block, as I really would get worked up seeing that kind of guff/intolerance on my timeline, from a family member.

If they're just 'a bit right wing', then yeah, just live with it, and/or add your own views in there to give him a different perspective than maybe he's used to?

Yeah, I guess you're right. The thing that made me post my OP, was a terribly ill thought out, and ill informed post about people supposedly caring more about refugees than elderly British people. It's pretty much in my upper limit of what I'll bite my tongue about. For the sake of peace, and in all honesty, so as not to get dragged into a stupid debate, I just chose to let it slide.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Grrrr!

43 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Probably not helped by the pronunciation of the metal!

errrmm, I'm responsible for part of that spike.

I don't suppose you've been receiving some hastily written tender documents?

I've had to write up some notes on metal corrosion and it's consequences and what the remedy is presumed to be.

Lots of sentences where corrosion led to the need for lead on a long lead in time. It was a nightmare. I got word blind and distracted whilst under silly time pressure, started ignoring the helpful grammar and spelling notices from word.

I'm doing a guided speaking tour of the building for the tenderers on Friday. Anybody picking up on my spilling stands little chance of winning.

• Like 2

Led Zeppelin = a zeppelin that somebody has been leading. :)

Back on FB, my wife's (considerably older) sister has recently signed up. She rarely posts, but reads and occasionally comments. She is a classic Daily Mail victim, and I do wonder what she makes of mine and Mrs M's posts and comments, as until now I suspect she had no idea how politically opposite we are to her. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Led Zeppelin = a zeppelin that somebody has been leading. :)

Back on FB, my wife's (considerably older) sister has recently signed up. She rarely posts, but reads and occasionally comments. She is a classic Daily Mail victim, and I do wonder what she makes of mine and Mrs M's posts and comments, as until now I suspect she had no idea how politically opposite we are to her. 

Then there's a lead zeppelin and a lead zeppelin.  One is at the front and the other doesn't float too well.

• Like 1

On 31/01/2017 at 13:25, Stevo985 said:

Stuck their arm out. They were intending to cross the road at a zebra crossing. But they stuck their arm out a good 5 yards before they got there.

To be fair it worked. But it annoyed me.

that shouldn't piss you off, thats hilarious.

2 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

Grrrr!

'He led the team to victory' isn't using the past participle of the verb 'to lead' :P

37 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

'He led the team to victory' isn't using the past participle of the verb 'to lead' :P

15 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

???

Yes it is.

Strictly speaking, it's the past tense verb of lead.  If I'd said 'he has led the team to victory' it'd be a past participle.

Nonetheless, lead wouldn't be appropriate in either case...!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Strictly speaking, it's the past tense verb of lead.  If I'd said 'he has led the team to victory' it'd be a past participle.

Nonetheless, lead wouldn't be appropriate in either case...!

I stand corrected.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Then there's a lead zeppelin and a lead zeppelin.  One is at the front and the other doesn't float too well.

It would float just fine in any fluid more dense than lead. Like this bucket of neutronium under my desk.

• Like 1

Kate McCann leading a choir of other parents of missing children on Britains Got Talent. Its not my place to speculate on what happened to that little girl, but surely her mothers time is better spent looking for her daughter than potentially going through 12 weeks of live TV to win a meaningless competition.

Also, it is another guaranteed cash-cow for Simon Cowell, so is doubly annoying......

10 minutes ago, limpid said:

It would float just fine in any fluid more dense than lead. Like this bucket of neutronium under my desk.

Or in water if beaten into the shape of a boat? 

• Like 1

Â