Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

On 03/02/2017 at 07:11, HanoiVillan said:

Indeed. It's just an example of the 'no true Scotsman' fallacy:

'No true Scotsman is a kind of informal fallacy in which one attempts to protect a universal generalization from counterexamples by changing the definition in an ad hoc fashion to exclude the counterexample.

[. . .]

Imagine Hamish McDonald, a Scotsman, sitting down with his Glasgow Morning Herald and seeing an article about how the "Brighton Sex Maniac Strikes Again". Hamish is shocked and declares that "No Scotsman would do such a thing." The next day he sits down to read his Glasgow Morning Herald again; and, this time, finds an article about an Aberdeen man whose brutal actions make the Brighton sex maniac seem almost gentlemanly. This fact shows that Hamish was wrong in his opinion, but is he going to admit this? Not likely. This time he says: "No true Scotsman would do such a thing."'

So we are all agreed then ? Hamish McDonald did all the Brighton one's as well ? 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

You were together for only two months but refer to her as your ex? :blink:

That's about enough time to go out a few times, get your wicked way, and then go out again a few more times. I wouldn't consider myself in a relationship after that kind of time period. 

She's an ex girlfriend. So yes I'd call her my ex.

22 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

On the plus side, by your first sentence I thought you meant they had died, so could be worse!

Hope you sort it out

It did read like that at first, so I went in and edited it so it was less dramatic!

I'm sure it'll all iron itself it out. I just feel a bit lost though as this was someone who I spoke with most days. 

Dyson vacuum cleaners; is this an example of style over substance ? I have never cared for these things and particularly don't care for (millionaire) James Dyson who shut his factory in Wiltshire, making several hundred people redundant, and shifted production to the Far East. Pratt ! Anyway, just used in on garage floor to clean up after essential  velo maintenance and the effing top dropped off, spilling all that I had just cleaned up, back onto the floor. If they are that damn good why do you always see at least one in every Council tip!!

PS re. shifting production - would Trump have stood for that:D

Edited by veloman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, veloman said:

Dyson vacuum cleaners; is this an example of style over substance ? I have never cared for these things and particularly don't care for (millionaire) James Dyson who shut his factory in Wiltshire, making several hundred people redundant, and shifted production to the Far East. Pratt ! Anyway, just used in on garage floor to clean up after essential  velo maintenance and the effing top dropped off, spilling all that I had just cleaned up, back onto the floor. If they are that damn good why do you always see at least one in every Council tip!!

PS re. shifting production - would Trump stood for that:D

The early Dysons are great, we've had one for about 20 years, get it serviced annually. The guy who does it says he's worked on the whole range, and yes, the new ones are indeed utter shite. His advice was that if ours ever does fail, not to buy a new one, but get some other brand. (Cue Ruge recommending a Henry...) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, veloman said:

PS re. shifting production - would Trump stood for that:D

Yeah, there's absolutely no way Mr Trump would move any sort of manufacturing to/have any of his branded goods made in China.

Edited by snowychap

Girlfriends I've had where it's been a serious relationship or been longer than a few months are who I refer to as an 'ex'. The rest are just girls I've seen and shagged for a bit.

But I will add that it wouldn't bother me if it was different for someone else. If she's an ex to you then she's your ex as obvious as it sounds. Why someone would get hung up on that is bizarre :blink:

Edited by Ingram85

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Surely if someone was your girlfriend at one time, and now is your girlfriend no longer, she is literally, definitionally, your ex-girlfriend. That's how English works.  

Oh, I think it works a bit more subtly than that. I'd distinguish a difference between "an ex-girfriend" and "my ex". The latter implies (a) most recent, and (b) long-term, 'serious'. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Oh, I think it works a bit more subtly than that. I'd distinguish a difference between "an ex-girfriend" and "my ex". The latter implies (a) most recent, and (b) long-term, 'serious'. 

I agree with your a], but not your b]. I think it depends on the experience of the person using it. Before I met my wife, I only had one girlfriend. We had a brief relationship (shorter than Stevo's), but nevertheless a real one. Therefore she is 'my ex', even though it was neither long-term nor particularly serious. 

31 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I agree with your a], but not your b]. I think it depends on the experience of the person using it. Before I met my wife, I only had one girlfriend. We had a brief relationship (shorter than Stevo's), but nevertheless a real one. Therefore she is 'my ex', even though it was neither long-term nor particularly serious. 

I refer to all females who I have once classed as my "girlfriend", but aren't currently my "girlfriend", as my ex or an ex.

I didn't realise there was a difference :D

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

Â