AVTV: General chat

ciggiesnbeer

In my opinion none of our video/social content should be paid for, it should all be free.

And even if it is paid for, the quality needs to be improved.

AVTV is something I would have considered (and probably still would).

But all I ever hear is how crap and unreliable it is.

But yeah, it should be free. In the long term that'll be way more beneficial, as you've already said.

There are a few things on AVTV that I'd pay consistently for, like for example the interviews when we sign new players and press conferences - however, it really should be free IMO.

In my opinion none of our video/social content should be paid for, it should all be free.

And even if it is paid for, the quality needs to be improved.

AVTV is something I would have considered (and probably still would).

But all I ever hear is how crap and unreliable it is.

But yeah, it should be free. In the long term that'll be way more beneficial, as you've already said.

There are a few things on AVTV that I'd pay consistently for, like for example the interviews when we sign new players and press conferences - however, it really should be free IMO.

I agree it needs to be better more to attract foreign fans than for ones in England but it is free to ST holders and needs to be paid for somehow. I suppose it's a fine line with having it completely free for all and increasing the fan base or charging and making it self sufficent. A mixture of both IMO would work.

I'd love to know how much money they make from avtv subscriptions.

At £60 a year at most, I can't imagine it being more than about half a million a year.

I'm sure there are plenty of ways they could make that much money through YouTube.

Interesting topic - I think it's good that the club have allowed this meeting to take place. Hopefully it'll be a constructive one from which they'll implement some improvements to their (currently) quite poor service...

For me personally, I've only ever really used AVTV during pre-season, to gain access to new player interviews or streaming of games. Outside of this period, however, AVTV is definitely not worth paying for, since the content is quite bland, of poor quality and doesn't really tell you anything different to what you might get on your mainstream websites like BBC Sport.

I think the whole thing needs a complete revamp, new presenter(s), new presentation/graphics, new and more exciting types of content. Captain Jack, as endearing as he might be at times (something that's up for debate...) isn't really someone that likes to ask (or isn't allowed to) tough questions, or at least ones to elicit interesting information. Maybe he'll do well with a co-presenter, but there's definitely a lack of personality coming across.

I'll reinforce the point made by someone else earlier about the presentation on videos coming across as dated, and I'll agree with that. It's just middle of road, and utterly bland. It could be argued that some Youtubers that are fresh out of school can present their material way better. We're obviously paying someone too much. Video quality is also damn poor for an organisation that turns over millions of pounds every year - I mean, just get a better camera! (can't be a problem with encoding...)

The most crucial and important point is about the content itself... Now, we all know that Premier League footballers are multi millionaires that are detached from the rest of society. Producing videos that maintain the status quo isn't really a great thing. I think fans would appreciate these guys putting across their "human" side more, and especially their personalities. Heck, it might fail completely but why not have players interviewing other players (or perhaps use some respected ex-pros to do it). That would be pretty cool. Behind the scenes stuff, historical features/mini documentaries on the club (researched and done properly), stuff like that would be much more interesting than what we have now.

My final point is regarding the delivery platform - Youtube is certainly a more visible and accessible platform (especially globally) than the club website. It would be interesting to see how many people actually pay for AVTV outside of season ticket holders. It can't be all that much, probably enough to cover Jack's wages... It's certainly something that should be explored.

• Like 4

There's 4 season ticket holders in the house all "entitled" to AVTV!

However as we're all on I pad / I phone we cannot connect - couldn't this be sorted?

That is just so poor. It seriously doens't work with iOS on any device?!

Everton/Man City and Chelsea from the top of my head give LIVE press conference via a youtube link.

This is something I'd like to see the club do. Instead of shoving it as a premium (which isn't even live) by the time they put it on AVTV the quotes/part of the video is already on Sky, local journos twitter feed etc

One of the best features (IMO) of AVTV is when a "Memory Match" is added prior to a game, I think this could be extended into a complete vault of previous game highlights going as far back as possible with easy to navigate menus (year > month) to find the game you want to watch.

Accessibility is an issue, I don't often use AVTV (I get it free as a ST holder) but I would use it more if there was a well designed app for iOS and Android that gave all the same features it does on the website.

I'll second (third or fourth...) the point regarding picture quality, it should be far better given how little cost seems to go into making it possible to create better quality videos.

a few seasons ago, we were able to access highlights of matches from years and years ago. (Like 2004/05 season) until it was removed when the site underwent a revamp. Would be nice to have those back accessible on demand.

Just more access the the general day-to-day at the training ground really. The latest video of Gil arriving at BMH for his medical and reuniting w/Sanchez was really good. More of that.

Edited by adz.villa

This is all the stuff that the Fear and I went through with them a few years back (and all the same suggestions).

I guess that this time around it may be different due to Mr. Fox coming in, who knows, fingers crossed.

• Like 1

There's 4 season ticket holders in the house all "entitled" to AVTV!

However as we're all on I pad / I phone we cannot connect - couldn't this be sorted?

That is just so poor. It seriously doens't work with iOS on any device?!

Download a browser called photon you can watch it on there then.

So, as a general consensus for YouTube:

• Our content is relatively boring - we need funny/fun content
  • Player-to-Player interviews or Player "guided" videos
  • Training ground goals, skills, tricks etc.
  • Q&As (maybe the questions could come via Twitter?)
  • U21 full games or at least highlights
  • Better pre-game footage, rather than just the players arriving
  • Pre-season full games or at least highlights
  • Like 2

So, as a general consensus for YouTube:

• Our content is relatively boring - we need funny/fun content
  • Player-to-Player interviews or Player "guided" videos
  • Training ground goals, skills, tricks etc.
  • Q&As (maybe the questions could come via Twitter?)
  • U21 full games or at least highlights
  • Better pre-game footage, rather than just the players arriving
  • Pre-season full games or at least highlights

Press conferences would be good too.

Pretty sure you can stream stuff live on YouTube these days?

That would be a cool feature if we could watch pressers live.

• Like 3

Â