Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

For those of you talking about Gasland, whilst there are concerns about fracking, much of that 'documentary' is way off base. Good essay here.

As for excellent documentaries, try the Power of Nightmares. That link is part one, there are another two. Made by Adam Curtis for the BBC. It's about how governments construct an enemy to defend us against. Fascinating in part 3 about Sept 11 2001.

• 4 months later...

I watched a good one called Grey Gardens after seeing it in a list on the Guardian site. It's about some American Socialites who were down with the Kennedys and people like that. Then had some misfortune and ended up living in Raccoon infested mansion, sad to see how it was in the old black and white photo's and how it turned out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxsUHFTx--c

• 1 month later...

I watched a good one called Grey Gardens after seeing it in a list on the Guardian site. It's about some American Socialites who were down with the Kennedys and people like that. Then had some misfortune and ended up living in Raccoon infested mansion, sad to see how it was in the old black and white photo's and how it turned out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxsUHFTx--c

Interestingly (or not...) Mark Gatiss has one of the stars (Judith Beale) of this Documentary as his twitter avatar.

Some real good documentaries I liked were the Men Who Made Us Fat and The Men Who Made Us Thin series. Originally shown on the BBC in England but now they've been uploaded to Youtube

There was a documentary on the BBC once about war photographer Don McCullin. Absolute must watch.

Aye - think I mentioned it in the recommend me a film thread a few months ago. Phenomenal film.

Sure it's been mentioned in here already but Senna was outstanding.  Very poignant the whole lead up tot he Imola Grand Prix and all the footage.  You could see Senna was uneasy the whole time and the race did seem cursed with the incidents involving Barrichello, Ratzenberger and the Lehto/Lamy incident which injured spectators.

Senna seemed like a genuinely nice bloke too.

Â