Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

20 minutes ago, astondalston said:

Watched it, enjoyed it but still not 100% on its credibility. Definitely worth watching though 👍

Actually watching it right now, just finished part 1. It's interesting but as you say I'm not 100% on how truthful it is, partly because of the guy who is making it. Mats Brügger, there is something off with him. Maybe it's just how he likes to portray himself because the Dag Hammarskjöld documentary that he made was the same. Then again a lot of documentary filmmakers are a bit strange and use it as a selling point.

Looking forward to pt2 as I've spent some time in Uganda and I have a friend who has spent a lot of time there.

36 minutes ago, sne said:

Actually watching it right now, just finished part 1. It's interesting but as you say I'm not 100% on how truthful it is, partly because of the guy who is making it. Mats Brügger, there is something off with him. Maybe it's just how he likes to portray himself because the Dag Hammarskjöld documentary that he made was the same. Then again a lot of documentary filmmakers are a bit strange and use it as a selling point.

Looking forward to pt2 as I've spent some time in Uganda and I have a friend who has spent a lot of time there.

Its the 'Mr James' character that bugs me as he's totally winging all the way.  No way  deals as big as these are taken on a promise without any due diligence?

5 minutes ago, astondalston said:

Its the 'Mr James' character that bugs me as he's totally winging all the way.  No way  deals as big as these are taken on a promise without any due diligence?

Yeah, they all kinda feel like actors, which I guess they are. 

Fun side story. My friend who spent a lot of time in Uganda got to know a Germany guy who for vague reasons lived in Uganda these days. He was an ex Stasi East German radio and signal intelligence guy apparently and lived on an private island in lake Victoria. He helped him with some stuff and was also involved in fixing my friends fishing bout that was sunk during a storm and had both engines ruined. That is another story but suffice to say it didn't pan out as planned. I met the guy when I was there and both me and another friend we were traveling with instantly thought this guy was shady as f and had a huge ego.

Anyway, apparently he was arrested in Germany earlier this year when returning home. I'm not 100% on the details but I think it had to do with weapons trafficking :D 

• Haha 1

On 07/10/2020 at 07:50, dubbs said:

Yeah me and the other half watched this last week.   It's funny how the neighbour with the cctv immediately picked up that something wasn't right with the guy,  but the cops dismissed it.

That cops never dismissed it. They just don't make presumptions to members of the public. You can bet your bottom dollar they knew it was him from the off. That was the only scenario that made any sense. That's why they played him like a fiddle in the interrogation scenes. Once he took the lie detector, they knew it was game, set and match. 

What a horrible piece of shit he was. 

watched long shot on netflix

feel like they could have gone in to it a bit deeper (without needing the Netflix 12 episode treatment) its definitely a fascinating hard to believe its true story - a guy accused of murder defence was based around him being at a dodgers game, HBO just so happened to be filming an episode of curb your enthusiasm at the stadium that night and caught him on film - they explain the incredible part in detail but for me didn't cover the rest of the case as well, he was facing the death penalty based on 1 eye witness

felt like another chance to do a "America is a crazy stupid place" type documentary but it skirted around it

still worth its 40 minutes

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

That cops never dismissed it. They just don't make presumptions to members of the public. You can bet your bottom dollar they knew it was him from the off. That was the only scenario that made any sense. That's why they played him like a fiddle in the interrogation scenes. Once he took the lie detector, they knew it was game, set and match. 

What a horrible piece of shit he was. 

Yeah agreed. Again that youtube stuff I posted mentions that the police were basically positive he was guilty when they were doing the interrogation, and the neighbour's info would have helped. The interrogation wasn't to find out information, it was to get a confession. They already knew he was guilty

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, theboyangel said:

What’s this Shown on?!?

It's in the cinemas in Sweden from November 2nd, think I read it's already aired in Ireland. No idea about the UK but something similar maybe?

• Thanks 1

I'm about to embark on watching the old 70's behemoth The World at War series about WW2 narrated by Laurence Olivier. 26 part documentary that is supposedly amazing.

Think I've seen the odd episode before but never watched is a whole. It's almost 50 years old so be interesting to see how it holds up.

The World at War Poster

• Like 4

On 11/10/2020 at 09:44, sne said:

This might be interesting. The Mole, about a Danish guy who infiltrated North Korea. 

It's on SVT-Play in Sweden and apparently on BBC-player in the UK.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-54464581

Long article.

Edit: It's made by Mads Brügger who is a bit of a strange fellow and who also made a documentary about UN leader Dag Hammarsköld that was let's say speculative, but interesting. So take it for what it is.

I’ve met some KFA members on my trips there , they are proper fan boys and get unrestricted access when in the DPRK rather then restricted access people like me get as a tourist ... whilst the media like to fabricate some stuff about North Korea , people being fed to dogs , killed with rocket launchers or even that The Koreans murdered Otto Warmbier ... I’d expect most of the events in the this documentary are real maybe with a hint of embellishment for dramatic effect 

• Like 1

Somewhat topical  as America prepares for civil war , but been watching “Grant” on Sky History .

My knowledge of American history is somewhat limited and can be summarised as  a bunch of ungrateful bastards relying on ze French to rescue them , so this show is a real education and put together with a mixture of re-enactments s historians discussing events ... 3 + hours of really interesting viewing .  I could be wrong but I don’t think Grant gets the true recognition he deserves based on what I’m learning today.

well worth checking out for any history buffs out there 

On 31/10/2020 at 12:43, sne said:

I'm about to embark on watching the old 70's behemoth The World at War series about WW2 narrated by Laurence Olivier. 35 part documentary that is supposedly amazing.

Think I've seen the odd episode before but never watched is a whole. It's almost 50 years old so be interesting to see how it holds up.

The World at War Poster

I'm 19 (out of 35 + extras) episodes into this now and it's absolutely stupendous.

No doubt you can find stuff about specific events that goes into greater detail, but if you want a comprehensive look at the war this is outstanding. 

As close to a 10/10 you can get.

• Like 1

Â