Antonio Luna

Phumfeinz

Haven't seen the guy play but referring to several reports concerning his ability have we really improved upon Bennet? We have improved the squad as in numbers and competition for places but have we improved its quality?

Cresswell may have cost more but he is better than Bennett and would have shored (no pun intended) up our left side.

Its a bit of a strange transfer to me when maybe better more proven quality was available to us but we'll see. 

Yes, I think we have to wait and see, Morpheus. Reserve our judgement until he has had time to settle in. Lambert has earned our trust and I think Bennett eventually will come good given time and support, and added competition will challenge him to improve.

Edited by tarjei

So I did a bit of reading up on him and apparently he's been sold because a younger player Alberto Moreno started playing really well and played him out of the team hence him being loaned out. I don't know whether that means we'll be getting someone who can't cut it or whether it just means the guy who replaced him is just better, like really high quality and Luna has potential but needs more time which he didn't have.

Alberto Moreno played every minute of Spain U21 first 2 group games and both knockout games (sat out final group game because they'd already qualified). Spain beat everyone and he looked very good.

No shame in that.

Welcome Antonio.

Must be the beard but he looks a lot older than 22.

Should be good competition for Bennett who I still have high hopes for. Saw enough in him last season to think he can kick on this season and seems to have a good attitude as didn't go into hiding after a number of poor performances. Hopefully Luna can bring the best out of him and they can push each other. Genuine competition for places is always good.

I already prefer Luna, top beard and not chavvy. Already an improvement!

Agreed. I'm liking Luna's tats too.

Never seen him play so don`t know what to expect really. Guess a spanish international isn`t that bad considering the massive talent that is produced over there. Good too have contenders in the back at least.

So I did a bit of reading up on him and apparently he's been sold because a younger player Alberto Moreno started playing really well and played him out of the team hence him being loaned out. I don't know whether that means we'll be getting someone who can't cut it or whether it just means the guy who replaced him is just better, like really high quality and Luna has potential but needs more time which he didn't have.

Alberto Moreno played every minute of Spain U21 first 2 group games and both knockout games (sat out final group game because they'd already qualified). Spain beat everyone and he looked very good.

No shame in that.

Moreno is back up to Alba and very highly rated by Sevilla.

Haven't seen the guy play but referring to several reports concerning his ability have we really improved upon Bennet? We have improved the squad as in numbers and competition for places but have we improved its quality?

Cresswell may have cost more but he is better than Bennett and would have shored (no pun intended) up our left side.

Its a bit of a strange transfer to me when maybe better more proven quality was available to us but we'll see. 

You said it yourself, you've not seen him play.

I don't take the first bit of notice of fans reports on players, I mean for all we know they could be the Spanish Con :)

So to answer your question we don't know if we've improved on Bennett, we will find out over the course of next season. It remains to be seen if the quality has improved in that position but as with all players he will need to be given a little time for us to find out.

I can't say I've seen much of Creswell and seeing as he has played at a lower level than Luna I'm kind of hoping we have signed a better player as well as a cheaper one.

I have to say, I really don't agree with your assertion that someone playing the Championship is more proven quality than someone playing in La Liga.

Haven't seen him play either, but not too overly concerned about fans reports about him - after all the Genk fans were quite critical of Benteke when we signed him. For all we know, they could be the SGC or CI of Seville fans anyway ;)

Lambert has obviously seen enough of him to deem him worthy of a place in the team, so we'll soon find out how he gets on.

In terms of Bennett, I think there's definitely a good player tucked away in there. IIRC, he was injured at the start of the season and didn't get his first game in the big leagues until late September or something. Got himself stupidly sent off in one game, injured himself again in the fall at Tottenham, his confidence must've been all over the place in a team playing poorly.

Towards the end of the season, with a good run of games under his belt, he noticeably improved. Far from the finished article, and still with stupid mistakes in him (think the Norwich game), but a significant improvement non the less.

If he can continue his defensive development over the close season, have genuine competition for the LB spot, and work even more on his good attacking play, I hope we'll be pleasantly surprised by him this season.

Talking to one of my clients who has played against Cresswell numerous times.  He was shocked that Ipswich wanted between £4m and £6m.  He reckons Bennett is a better player,  Then again he also thinks that Forest on their day are the strongest team in the Champs. 

I think the signing of Luna, along with our other signings, was done with the intent of putting pressure on the players in the first team, rather than replacing them. I sense that Lambert is reasonably happy with how we ended the season and doesn't want to replace too many, if any, of those players immediately. What he is doing is replacing the likes of Lichaj, Clark, Bannan, Bent and Holman with players that he has a little more faith in. I wouldn't expect him to write Bennet off just yet, and nor should he. If he can bring in some direct competition for him in the form of Luna, then that gives Lambert options.

On a personal level, I don't want to see wholesale changes to the Villa side. The team that finished last year was full of players who I wanted to see be part of the Villa team for years to come, and I wouldn't want to see them being brushed aside. I'm dubious about our need to bring anyone else in; I don't even think we need the fabled attacking midfielder that everyone seems to be craving. 

• Like 2

No shame in that.

I thought Arsenal's LB was backup to Alba. Either way Moreno is quality.

No shame in that.

I thought Arsenal's LB was backup to Alba. Either way Moreno is quality.

This kid will bypass Monreal, only in U21's as he's eligible. Spain are not like England when promoting youth, even if they have a national cap and are eligible for U21, they will send them.

Â