Antonio Luna

Phumfeinz

This kid will bypass Monreal, only in U21's as he's eligible. Spain are not like England when promoting youth, even if they have a national cap and are eligible for U21, they will send them.

I've no doubt he will bypass him at some point (hopefully so will Luna ;) ) but I don't think he's ahead of him atm.

Well, we have a chant for him at least... courtesy of Duran Duran (New Moon On Monday)...

'Last time La Luna,
I light my torch and wave it for the
New moon on Monday,
and our GLORY through the night.
We ARE the Holte End, and the Villa never die...'

Work in progress... just a thought though.

We really missed a trick when we had Fernando Nelson - why we never sung that Abba song I will never know. ;-)

Well, we have a chant for him at least... courtesy of Duran Duran (New Moon On Monday)...

'Last time La Luna,

I light my torch and wave it for the

New moon on Monday,

and our GLORY through the night.

We ARE the Holte End, and the Villa never die...'

Work in progress... just a thought though.

We really missed a trick when we had Fernando Nelson - why we never sung that Abba song I will never know. ;-)

we did.... well i did Edited by Uncle Albert

Cresswell may have cost more but he is better than Bennett and would have shored (no pun intended) up our left side.

Seen Cresswell play in the Premier League?

No and thats the sort of rebuttal i was expecting. 

Haven't seen the guy play but referring to several reports concerning his ability have we really improved upon Bennet? We have improved the squad as in numbers and competition for places but have we improved its quality?

Cresswell may have cost more but he is better than Bennett and would have shored (no pun intended) up our left side.

Its a bit of a strange transfer to me when maybe better more proven quality was available to us but we'll see. 

You said it yourself, you've not seen him play.

I don't take the first bit of notice of fans reports on players, I mean for all we know they could be the Spanish Con :)

So to answer your question we don't know if we've improved on Bennett, we will find out over the course of next season. It remains to be seen if the quality has improved in that position but as with all players he will need to be given a little time for us to find out.

I can't say I've seen much of Creswell and seeing as he has played at a lower level than Luna I'm kind of hoping we have signed a better player as well as a cheaper one.

I have to say, I really don't agree with your assertion that someone playing the Championship is more proven quality than someone playing in La Liga.

Thats an interesting point if i may turn it around slightly that a player could be viewed as better quality just because he plays in a better league. Not sure you can judge players like that in the same way that you really can't be sure on judging Luna by fan reports. Thats what i meant by 'we'll see.'

Haven't seen the guy play but referring to several reports concerning his ability have we really improved upon Bennet? We have improved the squad as in numbers and competition for places but have we improved its quality?

Its a bit of a strange transfer to me when maybe better more proven quality was available to us but we'll see.

Haven't seen him play either, but not too overly concerned about fans reports about him - after all the Genk fans were quite critical of Benteke when we signed him. For all we know, they could be the SGC or CI of Seville fans anyway ;)

Lambert has obviously seen enough of him to deem him worthy of a place in the team, so we'll soon find out how he gets on.

In terms of Bennett, I think there's definitely a good player tucked away in there. IIRC, he was injured at the start of the season and didn't get his first game in the big leagues until late September or something. Got himself stupidly sent off in one game, injured himself again in the fall at Tottenham, his confidence must've been all over the place in a team playing poorly.

Towards the end of the season, with a good run of games under his belt, he noticeably improved. Far from the finished article, and still with stupid mistakes in him (think the Norwich game), but a significant improvement non the less.

If he can continue his defensive development over the close season, have genuine competition for the LB spot, and work even more on his good attacking play, I hope we'll be pleasantly surprised by him this season.

My point is that reflecting on what i've read about Luna he may not be much of an improvement on Bennet and may need more time to adjust to the English game than say Creswell but by the same token he very well might turn out to be another great signing by Lambert.

Like i said we'll see?

Stuff "proven quality". I think Lambert's earned the right to be trusted when he signs these kinds of players.

Benteke, Lowton and Westwood have been excellent. Vlaar has been ok for me and nothing more than that. KEA and Bennet have been poor so far. So while Lambert is just ahead on the averages concerning transfers i'm not yet so sure that he has earned our trust yet.

We'll know more when the new signings this window are blooded but i must say i'm looking forward to seeing those players play. 

Stuff "proven quality". I think Lambert's earned the right to be trusted when he signs these kinds of players.

Benteke, Lowton and Westwood have been excellent. Vlaar has been ok for me and nothing more than that. KEA and Bennet have been poor so far. So while Lambert is just ahead on the averages concerning transfers i'm not yet so sure that he has earned our trust yet.

We'll know more when the new signings this window are blooded but i must say i'm looking forward to seeing those players play. 

Vlaar definitely warrants another season to prove himself, as you say he has been ok, i'd put his first season down as a 6.5/10 which when you consider the injury he suffered and that it was his debut season in the Premier League isn't too bad. I really think he will be much improved next season.

What, you don't think 3 excellent signings out of 7 is worthy of trust? It's not like the other ones were bad either. Vlaar is has been solid and Sylla has also been a good buy. Let's not forget as well that he re-signed Guzan. Even the players that you wouldn't class as successes (Bowery, Bennett and KEA) were cheap and probably aren't on that much in terms of wages.

I honestly don't know what more you're expecting. If he has the same kind of success rate with his signings every season we're laughing.

Also, with regards to "proven quality", that was our transfer policy for years under O'Neill and McLeish and look how that turned out. It's absolutely baffling that after the performances of most of Lambert's "unproven" signings people still aren't willing to trust him in the transfer market.

Edited by Mantis

Yeah agree with most of that 'daggy_333.'

I am a little concerned though with Vlaar's aerial ability. He isn't really domineering enough in the air for a Premiership CB so it will be interesting to see if that improves. 

What, you don't think 3 excellent signings out of 7 is worthy of trust? It's not like the other ones were bad either. Vlaar is has been solid and Sylla has also been a good buy. Let's not forget as well that he re-signed Guzan. Even the players that you wouldn't class as successes (Bowery, Bennett and KEA) were cheap and probably aren't on that much in terms of wages.

I honestly don't know what more you're expecting. If he has the same kind of success rate with his signings every season we're laughing.

Also, with regards to "proven quality", that was our transfer policy for years under O'Neill and McLeish and look how that turned out. It's absolutely baffling that after the performances of most of Lambert's "unproven" signings people still aren't willing to trust him in the transfer market.

I learned a long time ago that it's pointless trying to argue with Morpheus, if we'd be signing "proven quality", he'd be bitching and whining why we aren't buying young and promising players.

Even the players that you wouldn't class as successes (Bowery, Bennett and KEA) were cheap and probably aren't on that much in terms of wages.

I found this point very interesting.

Are you saying that poor signings can be excused because they haven't cost that much especially when having a small budget?

Your other points while valid have been debated to death throughout the site so i'll leave them well alone.

I learned a long time ago that it's pointless trying to argue with Morpheus, if we'd be signing "proven quality", he'd be bitching and whining why we aren't buying young and promising players.

We'll then it has taken you a long time to completely come to the wrong conclusion.

Even the players that you wouldn't class as successes (Bowery, Bennett and KEA) were cheap and probably aren't on that much in terms of wages.

I found this point very interesting.

Are you saying that poor signings can be excused because they haven't cost that much especially when having a small budget?

Your other points while valid have been debated to death throughout the site so i'll leave them well alone.

No, but a poor player signed for a low fee and on a low wage is better than a poor player signed for a big fee on a big wage, and we've had many of the latter over the past few years.

You're not going to have a 100% success rate with all your players. Mitigating the damage done financially with poor players is much more beneficial than signing the Dunne's, Ireland's, and Hutton's of the world.

• Like 3

Â