Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

43 minutes ago, blandy said:

This isn’t an argument, but I read some years ago that Newcastle has the largest unique catchment area of any club. If I remember it correctly, the study looked at distances to the next club(s) and then split that halfway and so drew a border around each club ground, and then counted the population within it. My memory is very hazy, but they had something like 2.8 million people in their zone.

It may be a factor, perhaps, or just someone playing with maths. Regardless, anyway, if you take away the gurning for the media numpties that all clubs have, Newcastle fans always seemed to me from going to away games there and talking to them, as a really good bunch. The media coverage they get doesn’t really represent them as I see them. They’re sort of portrayed as über passionate, tunnel vision obsessives. They’re not much different to any other set of fans.

Sounds slightly better than my GCSE attempt

14 minutes ago, bobzy said:

If it's going to Carlisle (a league club) then yes, must have been. 

Must have been all league clubs counted , but PL sides measured, if that makes sense - not just (then) distance to other prem clubs only.  Like I say, not after an argument, I just remember the article as it surprised me at the time.

• Thanks 1

A lot of children of immigrants, especially from countries which don’t speak English (ie much of the Indian subcontinent) ended up supporting Liverpool and Manchester United because they didn’t feel the geographical tie to their city, didn’t have a parent whose footsteps to follow in and for the most part just wanted to back a winning horse.    I’m not sure it’s the case in Newcastle, it was absolutely the case (in my experience) in the West Midlands. 

source: married one of ‘em.  😝

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

Why are Sky being so obsessive over Newcastle? The commentators are acting like they’re the official club of the country and as if them losing is heartbreaking for everyone. 

Everyone hates them except the media.  Same as Everton.

• Haha 1

Just now, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

So many empty seats in general in the man United end. Couldn’t imagine be that too used to success. 

To be honest it's because Wembley is a nightmare to get away from after games. If I was a united fan today I'd have left once the board for the number of added minutes went up.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, villa89 said:

To be honest it's because Wembley is a nightmare to get away from after games. If I was a united fan today I'd have left once the board for the number of added minutes went up.

Yeah to be fair you’re not wrong. I’ve had the experience after games and after gigs and it’s horrendous! 

Â