Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

6 hours ago, theboyangel said:

There's is a one city club with no local rivalry, pissed on their own self importance

For my maths GCSE coursework I had to do some analysis or something or other but anyway I decided to look at the distances between PL stadiums and travel times etc

Can't remember exactly which teams were in the league at the time but it showed that Newcastle were 2.45hrs from man utd as the nearest club, how many PL grounds can villa do within that travel time? How many fans in villas catchment area can drive to Liverpool or Manchester in half that time? They are closer to Glasgow than they are to Liverpool

They are an island, uniquely positioned to not lose fans to other clubs

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

For my maths GCSE coursework I had to do some analysis or something or other but anyway I decided to look at the distances between PL stadiums and travel times etc

Can't remember exactly which teams were in the league at the time but it showed that Newcastle were 2.45hrs from man utd as the nearest club, how many PL grounds can villa do within that travel time? How many fans in villas catchment area can drive to Liverpool or Manchester in half that time? They are closer to Glasgow than they are to Liverpool

They are an island, uniquely positioned to not lose fans to other clubs

They still get massive attendances given the size of the city.

What are they meant to do?  Up the club somewhere closer to Manchester?  It's such a **** bizarre criticism.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

They still get massive attendances given the size of the city.

What are they meant to do?  Up the club somewhere closer to Manchester?  It's such a **** bizarre criticism.

Who said it was a criticism?

Its an explanation

Conversely it's an explanation as to why villa have the opposite problem (in simple maths and distances ignoring the cultural differences between the 2 cities)

Edited by villa4europe

Just now, villa4europe said:

Who said it was a criticism?

Its an explanation

You said they're uniquely positioned not to lose fans to other clubs.  That makes no sense at all.  What makes someone from Birmingham more likely to support Man Utd than someone from Newcastle?

14 minutes ago, bobzy said:

You said they're uniquely positioned not to lose fans to other clubs.  That makes no sense at all.  What makes someone from Birmingham more likely to support Man Utd than someone from Newcastle?

The fact that Manchester is a shorter trip up the M6

The midlands pisses fans away whereas Newcastle dont because they are more isolated than we are

You can then go in to cultural and historical demographical differences between the two cities too for a reason as to why those fans aren't fans of Midlands clubs

The reason why newcastle in a smaller city can get more fans each week than villa in the big city is not because of blues, wolves and baggies

You think there's coach loads of Liverpool season ticket holders travelling from Newcastle every game? 

25 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

The midlands pisses fans away whereas Newcastle dont because they are more isolated than we are

You can then go in to cultural and historical demographical differences between the two cities too for a reason as to why those fans aren't fans of Midlands clubs

The reason why newcastle in a smaller city can get more fans each week than villa in the big city is not because of blues, wolves and baggies

You think there's coach loads of Liverpool season ticket holders travelling from Newcastle every game? 

I guess it's not down to the location - there's something deeper than that.  Probably an identity of being a Geordie more than anything else.  It's not the additional hour it takes to travel to a ground; most Man Utd fans I know from Birmingham don't go to Old Trafford they just support that club.  It isn't a geographical thing.

Newcastle is a city of 300k people.  Tyne and Wear is about 1.1m and yet Newcastle are getting attendances of 50-52k and Sunderland in high 30,000's in the Championship.  Identity taps deeper up there.

Edited by bobzy

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

If you look at their attendance pre Keegan when they were crap, it was pretty average. Then King Kev came along just when football got fashionable, along with a rebuilt st james's park and there you go. Geordie Nation and all that nonsense. For some reason our attendance 'surge' has happened after we got promoted from the championship four years ago, not 20 years previous.

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

If you look at their attendance pre Keegan when they were crap, it was pretty average. Then King Kev came along just when football got fashionable, along with a rebuilt st james's park and there you go. Geordie Nation and all that nonsense. For some reason our attendance 'surge' has happened after we got promoted from the championship four years ago, not 20 years previous.

Fans need galvanising sometimes. I remember Southampton used to get piss poor attendances, maybe would take a few hundred away fans, now they have a decent away following and were getting good attendances for home games, this all came about when they got promoted back into the PL.

3 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Fans need galvanising sometimes. I remember Southampton used to get piss poor attendances, maybe would take a few hundred away fans, now they have a decent away following and were getting good attendances for home games, this all came about when they got promoted back into the PL.

And a new stadium. The dell was tiny.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

I guess it's not down to the location - there's something deeper than that.  Probably an identity of being a Geordie more than anything else.  It's not the additional hour it takes to travel to a ground; most Man Utd fans I know from Birmingham don't go to Old Trafford they just support that club.  It isn't a geographical thing.

Newcastle is a city of 300k people.  Tyne and Wear is about 1.1m and yet Newcastle are getting attendances of 50-52k and Sunderland in high 30,000's in the Championship.  Identity taps deeper up there.

This isn’t an argument, but I read some years ago that Newcastle has the largest unique catchment area of any club. If I remember it correctly, the study looked at distances to the next club(s) and then split that halfway and so drew a border around each club ground, and then counted the population within it. My memory is very hazy, but they had something like 2.8 million people in their zone.

It may be a factor, perhaps, or just someone playing with maths. Regardless, anyway, if you take away the gurning for the media numpties that all clubs have, Newcastle fans always seemed to me from going to away games there and talking to them, as a really good bunch. The media coverage they get doesn’t really represent them as I see them. They’re sort of portrayed as über passionate, tunnel vision obsessives. They’re not much different to any other set of fans.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, blandy said:

This isn’t an argument, but I read some years ago that Newcastle has the largest unique catchment area of any club. If I remember it correctly, the study looked at distances to the next club(s) and then split that halfway and so drew a border around each club ground, and then counted the population within it. My memory is very hazy, but they had something like 2.8 million people in their zone.

It may be a factor, perhaps, or just someone playing with maths. Regardless, anyway, if you take away the gurning for the media numpties that all clubs have, Newcastle fans always seemed to me from going to away games there and talking to them, as a really good bunch. The media coverage they get doesn’t really represent them as I see them. They’re sort of portrayed as über passionate, tunnel vision obsessives. They’re not much different to any other set of fans.

Must have been looking at top flight clubs?  Sunderland and Middlesbrough would draw from the south and there's nowhere near 2.8 million people living in Northumberland.  For league teams, I'd have thought Norwich is more isolated than any other - or maybe Plymouth, but depends how far down the league structure you go.  But as a top flight team, Newcastle has a vast area, for sure.

On the latter bit, I don't think they have any better or worse fans than most clubs.  There's definitely a feel of everybody in Newcastle being a Newcastle fan, though.  FWIW, it's quite similar in Nottingham (mostly for Forest, fewer County fans) - certainly very different to being in Brum.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Must have been looking at top flight clubs?  Sunderland and Middlesbrough would draw from the south and there's nowhere near 2.8 million people living in Northumberland

It may have been, I don’t remember for certain, but they had all the way up to Scotland, across towards Carlisle and so on. Tyneside alone is over 800,000 people with just one league club, before you add in the outlying places further from Newcastle.  They do have a large local population where they draw supporters from

11 minutes ago, blandy said:

It may have been, I don’t remember for certain, but they had all the way up to Scotland, across towards Carlisle and so on. Tyneside alone is over 800,000 people with just one league club, before you add in the outlying places further from Newcastle.  They do have a large local population where they draw supporters from

If it's going to Carlisle (a league club) then yes, must have been.  Tyneside is split by the way - South Shields is very much 50/50 (possibly more Sunderland, but it'd be slight).  

If you did a similar thing with Birmingham, you'd be including Aston Villa and Wolves and that's it.  Villa's "catchment" would be the entirety of Birmingham, out to Coventry, down to... probably the whole of the Cotswolds and out to Wales.  It'd be absolutely massive.

Â