Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

36 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I read it differently, as just accurately describing what's happening. It does contain some positive adjectives, but presumably the resort *is* lavish and futuristic, and the climate definitely *is* glorious. 

It's good in general to be clear about what we are angry about. I think some of the criticism of Qatar got a bit confused about this, and maybe the Newcastle/Saudi situation is going the same way. For me, the issue is that a sovereign wealth fund cannot be a 'fit and proper' owner, because it gives a club too many financial advantages and this distorts the competition too much. Another thing to be angry about is Saudi's government actions, in particular its war crimes in Yemen, and the murder of an American journalist, and the lack of division between the Saudi state on the one hand, and the ownership of Newcastle on the other, is another reason not to consider Newcastle's owners to be 'fit and proper'. But what this really tells us is that the 'sportswashing' was allowing the purchase in the first place. Sadly, our government not only allowed it but actually worked hard to facilitate it, so Saudi ownership of Newcastle is now a fait accompli, and the 'sportswashing' is the current situation.

By contrast, *reporting* on things that are happening is not 'sportswashing', unless it involves diminishing or ignoring crimes or whatever. We need to be able to say true things like 'this hotel is nice and so is the weather'. 

perhaps I just read it a bit differently. you're probably right in that it's not trying to paint it in any other light other than what is actually happening. that would be more in line with my expectations from The Guardian so I'm likely wrong XD.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Why do Newcastle succeed and we don't?

What do they have that we don't have?

They got lucky and didn't hire Steven Gerrard and we did

They wanted him

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 3

Sold their soul for the Arab blood money and have currently neither won nor achieved a thing

I'm still OK taking the piss out of them

Hope they get over excited followed by Liverpool, Chelsea, spurs and utd showing them how the league is already rigged in their favour, Liverpool already signing up a £50m rotational player

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Sold their soul for the Arab blood money and have currently neither won nor achieved a thing

I'm still OK taking the piss out of them

Hope they get over excited followed by Liverpool, Chelsea, spurs and utd showing them how the league is already rigged in their favour, Liverpool already signing up a £50m rotational player

Newcastle hired Ashworth who knows how football works and makes sensible signings. They will be fine sadly

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Newcastle hired Ashworth who knows how football works and makes sensible signings. They will be fine sadly

They will be OK no doubt

Doesn't change my opinion that the league is **** and so are the rules

And all Newcastle will do to overcome the way the CL prize money and bigger sponsors tip the balance in favour of the sky 6 will be to continue to dive deeper in to the pockets of their Arab owners with bullshit sponsors and partners

And even after all of that I still think they'll do **** all... It will take a decade if not longer to catch man City such is the advantage city have over them and that's before this new FIFA club wc and its not doubt £100-200m in prize money is gifted over to city

15 hours ago, tomav84 said:

time to rename the thread? 😢

Could do, but they're still funny. They aren't a football club any more though, maybe we should move this to off topic.

Sport is about stakes. Caring about the outcome, because it affects your future. Newcastle have no need to win, lose or draw. They just exist as a sportswashing machine.

Hiring Ashworth was just what everyone else who needs results didn't need. If City had someone like him when the money first came it wouldn't have taken them 10 years to become the joke success they are now.

Ashworth will do it for Newcastle up against FFP as well. Simply by signing good players at good ages for spots in the team they need.

• Like 2

I suspect that if Man City don't win the CL within 2 or 3 seasons then Newcastle may end up beating them to it. 

Might as well get used to the fact that Newcastle are now another club we will never finish above again.

(Not that we used to much anyway)

Edited by GlobalVillan

I remember when eddie howe was getting touted here befor ehe jouned newcatsle and people said he wss piss poor. Shows how much they know. 

Eddie howe as done a absolutely amazong job there. I really think he will and should get manager of the year.

Its amazing how much teams just fall apart against them. Leicester did we did spurs did.

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I remember when eddie howe was getting touted here befor ehe jouned newcatsle and people said he wss piss poor. Shows how much they know. 

Eddie howe as done a absolutely amazong job there. I really think he will and should get manager of the year.

Its amazing how much teams just fall apart against them. Leicester did we did spurs did.

For what it’s worth I wanted Howe. Thought he did an unbelievable job at Bournemouth. Never expected him to do this well at Newcastle though. They’ll still probably **** him off once they get top 4.

edit: As for him getting manager of the year. Do you mean manager of calendar year and is that a thing ?

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

They are in that kind of form and team spirit that Leicester were when they won the league. It's those players together that make the team a bit better than the sum of their parts. Just like Leicester that year. 

Takes a good manager to get there and to keep it that way for a longer time.

• Like 1

Â