Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

2 hours ago, DK82 said:

Newcastle fans, you know that righteous  lot who cried and still cry over our banners, are paying for a plane with a banner to fly over the Stadium of Light, to celebrate Sunderland getting relegated.

After crying about our banners, you'd think something like that would be above them.

I agree it's all a bit small time. 

Having said that, it's to be expected considering Sunderland fans were flying "5 in a row" banners last season.

I think they were always massive favourites to win it though. Their squad wasn't relegation quality last season. McLaren didn't do a good job, then Rafa had an awful start and got them no closer to safety. But they were certainly better than 18th in terms of quality. 

As for Clark, he was always going to look alright at this level. He'll be poor or replaced for next season. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DK82 said:

Newcastle fans, you know that righteous  lot who cried and still cry over our banners, are paying for a plane with a banner to fly over the Stadium of Light, to celebrate Sunderland getting relegated.

After crying about our banners, you'd think something like that would be above them.

Banners about your huge local rivals seems more appropriate than a club some 300 miles away.  But maybe that's just me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I think they were always massive favourites to win it though. Their squad wasn't relegation quality last season. McLaren didn't do a good job, then Rafa had an awful start and got them no closer to safety. But they were certainly better than 18th in terms of quality. 

As for Clark, he was always going to look alright at this level. He'll be poor or replaced for next season. 

Completely again about Clark and he was also going to a team that completely humiliated spurs last game of the season as we were getting humiliated near emough every week

He will be at hull city or Boro next season. Wait until they see how shit he really is at top flight level

4 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

All the posturing aside, they've smashed it out the park this season. I think I probably underestimated Benitez, which is strange as I've always thought him to be world class. They also nailed it in last summer's transfer window, Ritchie and Gayle in particular, Diame, Gouffran's return as well as keeping hold of Shelvey. They've even got Ciaran Clark looking like a player. 

Fair play to them, the rocket polishers. 

Yep, I agree with most of that and I must give Benitez credit.  I really didn't rate him.  A lot of his Liverpool achievements were often put down to Pako Ayesteran and since they parted ways Rafa has been on a whistlestop tour of stinking various places out.  So I thought my hopes of him bringing Newcastle down again were well placed.  It seems not.  I will however allow myself a told you so on Gayle because that was always going to be a great signing in my eyes.

It'll be interesting to see how well Newcastle can do in the Premier League next season with some decent backing, a fairly stable foundation and a Rafa that knows what he's got and what he needs at his disposal.  What's clear is the North East needs a good Newcastle, because the other 2 showers of shite are exactly that.

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

Banners about your huge local rivals seems more appropriate than a club some 300 miles away.  But maybe that's just me.

It's nothing to do with what's more appropriate.

It's about moaning about a club taking the piss out of you when you get relegated, and then taking the piss out of a club when they get relegated.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I think I probably underestimated Benitez, which is strange as I've always thought him to be world class.

i cant have that

he's a good manager, maybe in the 2nd tier of managers in a couple of spells, never in the world class bracket, the scousers might bang that drum but he's not been close for me

newcastle fans will almost quite rightly laud the fact that they have him but the reality is his star had dwindled after poor spells at inter, chelsea, napoli and madrid, there wasnt that many other places for him to go and id be under no illusion that if someone in the CL was to come sniffing he'd be off, they're paying him a lot of money too

think they've got a year of doing **** all next season, might finish about 15th but they can go back to being in the happy to be there brigade which they'd been in for the previous 15 odd years

12 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

might finish about 15th but they can go back to being in the happy to be there brigade which they'd been in for the previous 15 odd years

I'm not so sure.  When you see the shit that's finishing 8th, it's certainly not beyond them to do something similar IF they can get it right.  They're also a bit more of an attractive sell than places like West Brom or Stoke to new players.  Not as attractive as the fans think, but better than some of what they're being promoted in amongst.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It's nothing to do with what's more appropriate.

It's about moaning about a club taking the piss out of you when you get relegated, and then taking the piss out of a club when they get relegated.

Also the fact they had a banner against us last season. 

I don't get why Clark gets hate on here. He wasn't amazing for us, but he has found a system he works well in and is part of the back line that has conceded the least amount of goals this year. I think he will do fine in the premier league. Won't be an amazing center back, but Clark isn't just lucky he is playing for a good team. He is part of Newcastle's success. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BOF said:

Yep, I agree with most of that and I must give Benitez credit.  I really didn't rate him.  A lot of his Liverpool achievements were often put down to Pako Ayesteran and since they parted ways Rafa has been on a whistlestop tour of stinking various places out.  So I thought my hopes of him bringing Newcastle down again were well placed.  It seems not.  I will however allow myself a told you so on Gayle because that was always going to be a great signing in my eyes.

It'll be interesting to see how well Newcastle can do in the Premier League next season with some decent backing, a fairly stable foundation and a Rafa that knows what he's got and what he needs at his disposal.  What's clear is the North East needs a good Newcastle, because the other 2 showers of shite are exactly that.

We might not agree about grealish but gayle 100%!! I said he would smash it at this level and he has. If he became available I'd definitely suggest us going for him

• Like 1

Must be just me who doesn't think they've played much better than us for a lot of this season?

Yes they've got the points on the board but that was due to their fantastic start. After losing their first two leagues I think they won 16 of their next 18 or something ridiculous while we were struggling to even win one game.

If people are giving Bruce stick on the main board for scraping past teams I'd suggest looking at the likely champions beating likes of Burton and Wigan by one goal margins at home and maybe think the championship is that sort of league.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Would love it if they ballsed it up and lost in the play-offs.

shame huddersfield collapsed either side of the international break as they were in a strong position to win the league themselves a month ago and they way things have panned out would have seen newcastle miss out on automatic promotion

2 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

The last thing we want is Toon in the CH next season.

I want them up for next season, then back down again  the following season.

If they don't go up I think rafa would leave end of season as would the likes of shelvy and gayle. They wouldn't be the force they are this season.

But there is no chance Huddersfield are catching them

I think Rafa will be gone at the end of the season regardless, I can only see him staying if he was given £100m+ which just isn't going to happen. The squad is poor, they have a lot of dross (as do we) that will not cut it at that level. Rafa won't be signing up to battle against relegation.

It would take a minor footballing miracle for them to miss out on automatic promotion now, but as others have said, that's a good thing for us.  I'll take my chances against relegated sides than I would over someone missing out in that manner.  They'd be monsters next season if they missed out now.  But they won't.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I think Rafa will be gone at the end of the season regardless, I can only see him staying if he was given £100m+ which just isn't going to happen. The squad is poor, they have a lot of dross (as do we) that will not cut it at that level. Rafa won't be signing up to battle against relegation.

I am amazed it hasnt kicked off before. Rafa is not a patient manager

Â