Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

Things not good at Sty James

Rafa Benitez admits frustration over lack of Newcastle transfers

By Nick Lustig

Last Updated: 11/07/17 9:56am

Rafael Benitez has added just two players to his Newcastle squad ahead of the new Premier League season

Newcastle boss Rafa Benitez has expressed his frustration over the "crazy" summer transfer market, but insists he will keep working hard to strengthen his squad.

Benitez has made only two major signings ahead of the Magpies' return to the Premier League, with winger Christian Atsu arriving from Chelsea on a permanent deal and defender Florian Lejeune joining from Eibar.

Owner Mike Ashley had previously promised to give Benitez "every penny the club generates" from promotion and players sales to rebuild the squad.

, Benitez said: "It's not easy for a lot of teams because the market is a little bit crazy. We have to try to do our best.

Benitez led Newcastle to the Sky Bet Championship title last season

"The top sides have a lot of money. The other teams are spending too, but we will see what we can do."

Newcastle have already missed out on the signings of goalkeeper Willy Caballero and striker Tammy Abraham, who instead joined Chelsea and Swansea respectively.

With just over a month to go until Newcastle's opening Premier League match against Tottenham at St James' Park, Benitez admits the current situation is not what he was hoping for.

"We know where we are - that is not ideal because everybody wants to see a lot of players signing already, but we have to keep working and see what we can do," he said.

"We can do nothing other than just keep working to find the players that we want, and hopefully we can do it."

Doesn't sound happy does he? If they don't strengthen as I think they need a load of players, they will be relegated again. They only won the title because of us, and they didn't run away with it like most people and pundits felt. 

At least from the fans' perspective, it sounds like it's just the transfer market rather than Mike Ashley that he's frustrated with.

18 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

We all know what is happening here. Mike Ashley is going to continue to run the club like a corner shop, pray he finishes 17th and rake him the great receipts, TV deal and free sponsorship opportunities.

Of course. He has no intention of  progression. 

1 hour ago, BOF said:

At least from the fans' perspective, it sounds like it's just the transfer market rather than Mike Ashley that he's frustrated with.

Smokescreen

20 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

We all know what is happening here. Mike Ashley is going to continue to run the club like a corner shop, pray he finishes 17th and rake him the great receipts, TV deal and free sponsorship opportunities.

This is it 

• Like 1

Surely they have to have tons in the bank now. They didn't even spend the Sissokho or Wijnaldum money last season. Plus with promotion, they have to have money to spend. But question is do people want to come to a club that was just promoted? 

2 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Surely they have to have tons in the bank now. They didn't even spend the Sissokho or Wijnaldum money last season. Plus with promotion, they have to have money to spend. But question is do people want to come to a club that was just promoted? 

They will have money to spend, but will Ashley want to spend enough to give the fans some excitement and success. They are set up to make a real go of it, but the owner does not seem to want to make a go if it. 

Newcastle's squad is easily good enough to stay up.

Gayle will have plenty of confidence from being number one striker and 20 goals last season, he was only ever a bit part player at Palace.

Shelvey is easily a decent premier league midfielder if a manager can get inside his head as Benitez did last season.

Matt Ritchie had a good season for Bournemouth.

Their defence as ever isn't anything to write home about but Benitez will make them difficult to score against.

The crux here is that Rafa wants more than just finishing 17th, he wants to challenge top half and that's pretty difficult unless they significantly strengthen.

I think Burnley might go down, not convinced their signings are great. Brighton be down there as well with Palace, Swansea. WBA, Stoke, Watford only want to get to 40 points and dont think any have improved that much  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think Burnley might go down, not convinced their signings are great. Brighton be down there as well with Palace, Swansea. WBA, Stoke, Watford only want to get to 40 points and dont think any have improved that much  

I don't think west born or stoke will be anywhere near relegation zone, rest I agree with, I think possibly Southampton and Bournemouth may struggle

Edited by Demitri_C

On 12/07/2017 at 21:23, VillaChris said:

Newcastle's squad is easily good enough to stay up.

Gayle will have plenty of confidence from being number one striker and 20 goals last season, he was only ever a bit part player at Palace.

Shelvey is easily a decent premier league midfielder if a manager can get inside his head as Benitez did last season.

Matt Ritchie had a good season for Bournemouth.

Their defence as ever isn't anything to write home about but Benitez will make them difficult to score against.

The crux here is that Rafa wants more than just finishing 17th, he wants to challenge top half and that's pretty difficult unless they significantly strengthen.

Shelvey and Ritchie I agree with. Gayle I'm still not convinced is a top level player. Defence leaves a lot to be desired. Championship players.

Benetiz is a very good manager though so think he'll get them safe.

On 12/07/2017 at 22:34, penguin said:

There's nothing easy about them staying up. Huddersfield obviously favourites for rock bottom but who are the other two teams Newcastle are clearly better than?

I thought Brighton would do a lot more business than they have.

They've signed a new keeper but they already had a good defensive record in the championship.

Chris Hughton is a very good championship manager but we've seen before he plays pretty negatively in the prem when results start to go against him. Not sure who's going to score their goals either. Would be very surprised if they finished above Newcastle.

Said before but really think Stoke will struggle much more than they usually do. Ended last season terribly and they seem to have an air of stagnation we did in the prem with an uninspiring squad.

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sne said:

Clever boy Voldemort, stepping on Alli's foot 5 yards in from of the ref who's looking right at them.

What a dunce :crylaugh:

One if the most idiotic reds ive seen. Have to make me question whether he wanted to get himself sent off the cretin

No doubt the team was sent out to 'wind Alli up because he does react' and then Shelvey does that. The guy is a **** moron, you only have to look at him to see there is not much going on between the ears. If not for football he would be working in a supermarket. Yarp.

Edited by rodders0223
  • Like 1

Â