Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

Saudi PIF owned Newcastle are being sponsored by Saudi PIF owned Sela.

This should be the end of FFP if Newcastle can blatantly circumvent it with this deal.

NSWE might as well get the Milwaukee Bucks to sponsor Villa for £250m.

34 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

This should be the end of FFP if Newcastle can blatantly circumvent it with this deal.

Well there's certainly no precedence for this, it's not like the best team in the league have a shirt & stadium sponsor owned by the same people that own the club. 

Maybe Sky should think of calling the next Grandslam super sunday the Arab derby, Saudi versus UAE.  

Actually surprised they haven't done naming rights for St James Park yet, guess that's next summer's way to get round FFP if they miss out on CL with improvement from likes of Liverpool.

Can remember when Mike Ashley briefly called it the Sports Direct arena with the inevitable howls of derision from the Gallowgate so interesting how they respond when it happens again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

With all the smoke around Man City at the moment you'd think they'd maybe be just a teeny smidge less blatant?  

Nah.

They'll get the backing of the PL though on this deal. 

City's issue was that the funds were coming directly from the government rather than the sponsor itself (even though the government own the sponsor and it makes no real difference), and the PL didn't approve the the self funding so by hiding it, and then proceeding with it, it broke the rules.

In this case,  the deal will get reviewed and approved by the PL before it is in place. So they're covered, as long as the money actually does come from Sela's bank accounts. The PL will explicitly approve the fact that its a self funded deal with their new model. 

Absolute joke. They got the precedent set by the sky 6 the second they got champions league football. PL shot themselves in the foot and now have no leg to stand on to stop it. The fact any other club that sneaks into the champions league for one year won't be able to sign a £30m deal is irrelevant.

There was an episode of The News Agents podcast this week on how the government pressured the Premier League to sanction the take over of Newcastle so as not to damage relations with Saudi Arabia.

Sickening stuff really.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Actually surprised they haven't done naming rights for St James Park yet, guess that's next summer's way to get round FFP if they miss out on CL with improvement from likes of Liverpool.

Can remember when Mike Ashley briefly called it the Sports Direct arena with the inevitable howls of derision from the Gallowgate so interesting how they respond when it happens again.

Does this mean that V Sports can take the naming rights for Villa Park for millions, for FFP accounting purposes?

8 hours ago, pas5898 said:

Ludicrous - The Saudi Government has nothing to do with Newcastle United according to the PL

The Premier League knows it’s the Saudi government running things. That’s why they refused their purchase for over a year. It was the British government who pushed it through, against the wishes of the PL. 

• Like 3

On 25/05/2023 at 12:25, StanBalaban said:

Does this mean that V Sports can take the naming rights for Villa Park for millions, for FFP accounting purposes?

Pretty much

What it'll mean is a passing contest between Newcastle and City with where there are right now city's rights should be worth more than Newcastles, which is why Newcastles has taken a jump in terms of sponsorship but they're still relatively sensible 

If Newcastle sponsor the ground for £100m a year man city are the champions so theirs has to be worth more 

When the Qatari bid goes through for Manure the PL heads should be strung up on a lamppost. What a **** joke. Imagine in a few years the top 3 teams dominating all Gulf state teams. I'll probably give up watching to be honest

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

When the Qatari bid goes through for Manure the PL heads should be strung up on a lamppost. What a **** joke. Imagine in a few years the top 3 teams dominating all Gulf state teams. I'll probably give up watching to be honest

Same. 

Well, I was wrong. I thought they would tail off and drop, and that Howe was insanely overrated, but they have proven they are the real deal. I stand corrected. They will fight at the absolute top for years to come.

47 minutes ago, daft said:

They will fight at the absolute top for years to come.

That's the fear. I hope not. 

I really don't get it as an enterprise, if these states want to cleanse their reputations, fund huge infrastructure projects on an aid basis in low/middle income countries. Mass Transit System in major cities would be an absolute gift in PR terms, particularly if you plaster your name across it (it also has the benefit of being actually good).  This buying football clubs and paying people £10s of Millions is more about vanity than sanitising reputations.

Edited by Dale
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Dale said:

That's the fear. I hope not. 

I really don't get it as an enterprise, if these states want to cleanse their reputations, fund huge infrastructure projects on an aid basis in low/middle income countries. Mass Transit System in major cities would be an absolute gift in PR terms, particularly if you plaster your name across it (it also has the benefit of being actually good).  This buying football clubs and paying people £10s of Millions is more about vanity than sanitising reputations.

Owning a football club is fun, building a subway isn't. And tbh they're no less likely to make money on the football club anyway. 

On 25/05/2023 at 11:16, Stevo985 said:

There was an episode of The News Agents podcast this week on how the government pressured the Premier League to sanction the take over of Newcastle so as not to damage relations with Saudi Arabia.

Sickening stuff really.

Jesus 😳 I need to listen to this. 

Â