Christian Benteke

Kwan

It means he's not as good as Dzeko and Costa and the real top clubs may have doubts about him.

His first season in the premier league he was superb but last season he wasn't quite as impressive.

This will be a big season for him. If he proves he is good enough then teams like Chelsea and City could come knocking.

The fact that he's still here doesn't mean he's not as good as Dzeko and Costa - he's not as good as them because he's not as good as them. As I said, him still being here is irrelevant to that as the top players don't always immediately go to the top clubs. He's clearly still way above our current level.

• Like 1

Benteke has at times been excellent in what has in the main been a very poor side. He has never had the luxury of having creative players around him putting chance after chance on a plate for him. If you put Benteke into a very good team he will get you 25+ goals a season. We will likely find out how good he can be in a very good side next season but sadly I doubt very much it will be with us.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

We all know he is too good for us. But other clubs won't come in for him big time this summer unless he has a stormer. So then we won't make a huge profit and he won't sign with two years left. We need to increase his wages now to maximize the use of him or profit on him.

We don't need to increase his wages until he proves that he is fit enough to last the season.
I disagree. He is our only world class player and if we want to keep him we have to take a chance. If he proves himself worthy of a new contract then do you think we are the only ones who sees that?

Thankfully you are not the one handing out contracts.

Touch of the Martin O'Neills you have got there.

I can see what you mean. But IF and that is a big IF we are ever going to claw our way back to the top, we need world class players. Due to the FFP we can't buy them so we need to find gems like Benteke and hold them for as long as we can. At some point we will be forced to sell him, but a that time we need crazy money for him. That is why I want to tie him up for at least one more year. It might cost us 10-15K more a week. That is 720K a year + the extra years wages that is 1 mill. In all less than 2 mill for a move that significantly strengthens our hand or gives us a year more of a world class player. Is that to big a gamble? I don't think so.
Are you saying that he's world class?

When he is at his best - yes I think he is world class, not the best in the world class. Apart from the spell last fall when he was injured, his goal per game ratio is crazy for a team in the bottom of the PL

Couldn't find a Carew topic and didn't fancy starting a new one for just one comment. So sorry if i have broken rules

He's just on SoccerAM along with Blue Nose Small Heath Fans - what a legend - haveing a dig at them - smirking and saying it's a great derby and better when he always beat them and even betetr when you ignore them and still beat them. Calls Villa - my Team - We are doing OK - we will do well. Loved it - guys a legend! :D

• Like 4

He's not better than Costa for me.

My word, he's about 45 times the player of Dzeko, what a waste of time he is.

Honestly, he is a passenger like no one else I've seen at a title-chasing side ever. Absolute garbage 99% of the time, but he bags a few goals so people lap it up that he's top drawer. You put Grant Holt in front of a midfield of Silva, Nasri, Toure and Fernandinho, with Aguero playing off him and Zabaleta and Kolarov banging crosses in every so often, he'll score 15 goals all comps no problem.

Where to start with this post as there's so much wrong with it! Are you a WUM by any chance?

• Like 1

Page break got me so I'll say it again:

He is only 23.

Very true but Gary Shaw was finished by that age and Michael Owen had his best years before 23. No doubt he hasn't peaked yet and hopefully we can see the best of him.

Now i happen to follow Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga since the 90's thanks to Eurosport & Eurogoals and them having a manager named Wolfgang Wolf.

Dzeko was an absolute monster for them along with Grafite and Misimovic scoring tons of goals and assists at the age Benteke is now.

I really rate Benteke, but he has some way to go to be named in the same company as Messi, Costa or even Dzeko.

If he can stay fit and get some supply this season (I have high hopes for a Cissokho - Benteke partnership) he might hopefully regain his form from the season before last, and who knows where he'll go from there...

Btw, here is a video of Dzekos Wolfsburg goals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy6HFz484Z0

• Like 1

People saying he's not world class because he hasn't had a bid or been sold to a top club baffles me. He would have ben sold this summer if he wasn't injured. It does come down to what you consider world class. For me you have the real top players like Ronaldo Messi etc but there's probaly 10 at most in the world after that you have players that could play for any team in the world but may not be the top player at that club. For me that's where Benteke is. He is good enough to play for any team and I think there's still loads more to come whether it gets into the top bracket time will tell. I can see him ending the season the way he ended his first.

Soccer Saturday pundits saying he should start. I understand their reasoning but I'm wary of what happened last season and I think 20/30 mins today then two more weeks of full training before unleashing him at Goodison would be the better option.

• Like 2

Edin Dzeko is one of the best strikers in the league. Apart from Aguero, Costa I can't think of many others ahead of him.

As for Benteke I can't see how we won't be 3-0 down by the 70th minute, Id rather let him rest and save him for when we actually need him than risk him here.

Â