Christian Benteke

Kwan

World class to me is Messi, Ronaldo and Suarez. Benteke isn't in the league, but we all have different interpretations of what world class is.

Indeed. My interpretation is that he would score goals and is "capable" of playing for any side in the world. I think he's a better player than Dzeko and Balotelli, for example. Perhaps even Costa. The players currently leading the line for last seasons top three.

He'll be gone soon, he'll win league titles and we'll miss him.

With Benteke though he's performed well over a small period. I think he's more than capable of being one of the best strikers in the world but he's now coming back from a serious injury and we don't know if he'll ever be the same player. I hope he will! I just hope we don't expect too much from him. 

I think he's better than Lukaku.

Edited by PaulC

With Benteke though he's performed well over a small period. I think he's more than capable of being one of the best strikers in the world but he's now coming back from a serious injury and we don't know if he'll ever be the same player. I hope he will! I just hope we don't expect too much from him.

I don't yet see why he will be any less of a player than he was before. Is this that kind of injury? It won't be a constant niggle, the only issue he might face is confidence. Does he strike you as anything but confident? Overly at times. I'm uber confident myself that he'll get back to form quickly.

He is better than Lukaku yes.

He found his feet quick enough in this league and then took it apart. He was coming back to form again when the injury happened. How small is small?

Edit - basically, I think he's absolutely electric. He does miss the odd sitter, granted, but the unreal goals he scores from nothing make up for it in my opinion. Best forward player of my time as a villa fan (inc Yorke) and second only to McGrath overall. That's where I'm at.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

World class to me is Messi, Ronaldo and Suarez. Benteke isn't in the league, but we all have different interpretations of what world class is.

Indeed. My interpretation is that he would score goals and is "capable" of playing for any side in the world. I think he's a better player than Dzeko and Balotelli, for example. Perhaps even Costa. The players currently leading the line for last seasons top three.

I hope fans from other clubs don't see you comparing Benteke to Costa! :) Edited by Mr_Dogg
  • Like 1

I don't yet see why he will be any less of a player than he was before. Is this that kind of injury? It won't be a constant niggle, the only issue he might face is confidence. Does he strike you as anything but confident? Overly at times. I'm uber confident myself that he'll get back to form quickly.

He is better than Lukaku yes.

He found his feet quick enough in this league and then took it apart. He was coming back to form again when the injury happened. How small is small?

Edit - basically, I think he's absolutely electric. He does miss the odd sitter, granted, but the unreal goals he scores from nothing make up for it in my opinion. Best forward player of my time as a villa fan (inc Yorke) and second only to McGrath overall. That's where I'm at.

How many footballers come back from achilles ruptures as good as they were before? Does anybody know any footballers who have! 

For me he would fit in Barca or Real Madrid now.

Barca lack height, and CB, for me , is better than Benzema.He might not be the finished article yet, but hes what 23?....he will be.

You could argue with FFP, Benteke allows us another £30/40m to spend.

He is world class and will improve. He scores at 1 in 2 and when fully fit its better than that. Last years numbers took a hit because he was rushed back so I hope we reintroduce him slowly as it's easy to pick up niggles when coming back from a long layoff. Just having him on th bench tomorrow will be a big boost I just hope we are still in the game at 70 min. It's then set perfectly for him!!!

World Class? Better than Costa? Jesus Christ!

We don't half love to jump to extremes on here.

I suppose it depends what you define as World Class, but to me it means a player that would walk into any side in the world. Is he going to go on and win trophies elsewhere? Probably, but there's a reason that clubs haven't made a proper bid for him IMO - he hasn't done it consistently for us. His most consistent spell came in the second half of the 2012/13 season, but last year was very patchy (I do appreciate that he was playing through injury at times), and he needs a good season this year to avoid being labeled a one-season wonder.

I don't want this to come across like I'm slating him, because I'm really not. I think he's a great player for Villa, almost definitely "too good" for us, but I think there is still a big gap between this and World Class.

• Like 3

Better than Dzeko and perhaps even Costa!  Don't think so!

If he was he wouldn't still be playing for us.

Better than Dzeko and perhaps even Costa!  Don't think so!

If he was he wouldn't still be playing for us.

While I'm not sure that he's better than Dzeko and Costa (yet) the fact that he's still playing for us is irrelevant to whether or not he's better than those two.

I'm happy it is relevant and if he was superior to Costa and Dzeko he would probably have been snapped up by a bigger club.

How is it relevant? Benteke may not be as good as those two but he's better than the vast majority of top-level strikers and certainly too good for us in our current position, yet he's still with us. Does this mean he's not a very very good striker? Of course not - he's still here because of injuries like I said.

It means he's not as good as Dzeko and Costa and the real top clubs may have doubts about him.

His first season in the premier league he was superb but last season he wasn't quite as impressive.

This will be a big season for him. If he proves he is good enough then teams like Chelsea and City could come knocking.

He's not better than Costa for me.

My word, he's about 45 times the player of Dzeko, what a waste of time he is.

Honestly, he is a passenger like no one else I've seen at a title-chasing side ever. Absolute garbage 99% of the time, but he bags a few goals so people lap it up that he's top drawer. You put Grant Holt in front of a midfield of Silva, Nasri, Toure and Fernandinho, with Aguero playing off him and Zabaleta and Kolarov banging crosses in every so often, he'll score 15 goals all comps no problem.

He's not better than Costa for me.

My word, he's about 45 times the player of Dzeko, what a waste of time he is.

Honestly, he is a passenger like no one else I've seen at a title-chasing side ever. Absolute garbage 99% of the time, but he bags a few goals so people lap it up that he's top drawer. You put Grant Holt in front of a midfield of Silva, Nasri, Toure and Fernandinho, with Aguero playing off him and Zabaleta and Kolarov banging crosses in every so often, he'll score 15 goals all comps no problem.

I'm sorry but you are a long way off. Put Dzeko in any other team and he would be their main striker. Dzeko is still one of the best strikers in the league. He has pretty much everything to his game. I love Benteke and think he has the potential to be one of the best in the world, but at this moment in time Dzeko is fair and away better than Benteke

Â