Christian Benteke

Kwan

just silly journos trying to fill in the blank spaces of the newspaper, nothing to see here

Yep

I know footballers are self centered mercenaries - but If Bentekke changed his his mind again now - it would reach a stunning new low - it may also damage his long term career prospects as he would be viewed as an anelka type

No player is abandoning their country to fight for another country in a war. Merely making decisions that benefit their career in one way or another.

What ? .......what war ? 

Exactly. So how can you have a mercenary?

Metaphor.

Actually, looked up definition of mercenary, your right it can be used that way so I'm an idiot. Sorry about that. As for outperforming contract, it just means you've been worth far more to the club than theyve paid you. Which benteke has.

On the loyalty, I'm just pointing out everyone always bemoans players leaving when their good but their fine with clubs casting off bad players. If benteke all the sudden was terrible Villa would drop him and send him to the reserves despite what he did last year and very few people would be mad at the clubs lack of loyalty.

mercenary

Adjective: Motivated by private gain.

Noun: A person employed to fight in an armed conflict who is not a member of the state or military group for which they are fighting and whose prime or sole motivation is private gain.

So a great many professional footballars are mercenary, but almost none are mercenaries.

Since the last link to Tottenham the landscape & the dynamics have changed, By signing that new contract we now firmly hold the keys to Benteke's future, not that we didn't previously, it's just now our hand is even stronger.I stated previously that Benteke is worth £35M minimum.  If Bale goes to Madrid for £100M plus then what price Benteke now?

If Spurs awash with an obscene amount of cash do come calling  again & 99% of me doesn't think that they actually will, then a £50M price tag on the head of Benteke should hopefully scare them off for good.

He's worth every penny mind. :)

The Fernando Torres situation should be a real concern for any striker.

Christian Benteke has fallen on a team that seem to instinctively know where he is, he is good for us and I believe we are good for him.

We are a young developing team, and he is developing too with us......lets not spoil it for the green eyed monster from outside called spurs.

spurs must understand that THEY have been involved in changing the whole landscape of transfer prices.....Benteke is now worth considerably more than even we initially was looking for....but hey Aston VIlla and Christian Benteke would look pretty stupid if he moved now, not to mention football itself would look to be losing any meaning too.

If sanity remains, so will CB.

It's not surprising he is loved.....he is a very, very special player.This boy will be world class when he has finished developing,it's a shame we seem to be fighting at every juncture to keep him.

I think by and large he is grossly underrated.

The thing with Benteke is that he rarely blasts the ball.  If you look at most of his goals, he carefully places/bends the ball past the keeper.  He must see things in slow motion, he's that deft.

Â