Christian Benteke

Kwan

Perhaps Lambert's negotiating tactic was advice on negotiating: don't negotiate with Tottenham until they have got the money for Bale. If you resign for us, they'll come back and offer you (and us) much better offer. 

If they sell Bale, why wouldn't they try again for Benteke?

Tottenham are set to revive their interest in Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke, once they sell Gareth Bale this summer, according to the Daily Mirror.

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2013/08/07/tottenham-to-plot-fresh-move-for-aston-villa-striker-christian-benteke/

Because they'll be told where to go?

We were only ever going to sell Benteke if he wanted to leave and we got a good price. He's signed a new contract and seems happy for the time being, so there's no reason to suggest that we'd be entertaining any more bids from Spurs this summer.

Henny Penny, also known as Chicken Licken or Chicken Little, is a folk tale with a moral in the form of a cumulative tale about a chicken who believes the world is coming to an end.

The phrase "The sky is falling!" features prominently in the story, and has passed into the English language as a common idiom indicating a hysterical or mistaken belief that disaster is imminent.

• Like 4

Henny Penny, also known as Chicken Licken or Chicken Little, is a folk tale with a moral in the form of a cumulative tale about a chicken who believes the world is coming to an end.

The phrase "The sky is falling!" features prominently in the story, and has passed into the English language as a common idiom indicating a hysterical or mistaken belief that disaster is imminent.

What's this got to do with anything?

That article is lazy, bored journalism at it's finest. There's no quotes or citations to suggest that there's still interest in Benteke, and has about as much credibility as, say, a bloke down the pub saying "well I reckon they'll go back in for him now Bale could be going". On top of the fact that this is obviously b*llocks, Lambert spoke to Benteke and convinced him that staying at Villa would be the best thing for his career, so why would he all of a sudden just change his mind just because Bale has gone and now they have a bit more cash?

The title of the article should really just be changed to "We reckon

edit: apologies, may be selling Bale

Edited by JoshVilla

just silly journos trying to fill in the blank spaces of the newspaper, nothing to see here

Yep

I know footballers are self centered mercenaries - but If Bentekke changed his his mind again now - it would reach a stunning new low - it may also damage his long term career prospects as he would be viewed as an anelka type 

just silly journos trying to fill in the blank spaces of the newspaper, nothing to see here

Yep

I know footballers are self centered mercenaries - but If Bentekke changed his his mind again now - it would reach a stunning new low - it may also damage his long term career prospects as he would be viewed as an anelka type

No player is abandoning their country to fight for another country in a war. Merely making decisions that benefit their career in one way or another.

Yep

Double post oops Edited by Rovers13

Yep

No player is abandoning their country to fight for another country in a war. Merely making decisions that benefit their career in one way or another.

What ? .......what war ? 

Yep

What ? .......what war ? 

Exactly. So how can you have a mercenary?

Edited by Rovers13

Yep

What ? .......what war ? 

Well thats a totally different topic entirely. But footballers in 2013 are often referred to as mercenaries, because many of them follow the dollar or hunt the glory - and show little if any loyalty to there club. Even though we are in an age where that is rife - I would be surprised if weeks after signing a new deal at the club - and 2 weeks before a new season starts - That Benteke would be seeking a move. I think he is fully focused on next season with us.  

Yep

What ? .......what war ?

Well thats a totally different topic entirely. But footballers in 2013 are often referred to as mercenaries, because many of them follow the dollar or hunt the glory - and show little if any loyalty to there club. Even though we are in an age where that is rife - I would be surprised if weeks after signing a new deal at the club - and 2 weeks before a new season starts - That Benteke would be seeking a move. I think he is fully focused on next season with us.

Why should players show loyalty to clubs that have no loyalty to them? As soon as their performances drop clubs try to get rid of them, same as as soon as a player starts to outperform his contract he wants to leave. It's a two way street.

Yep

What ? .......what war ?

Why should players show loyalty to clubs that have no loyalty to them? As soon as their performances drop clubs try to get rid of them, same as as soon as a player starts to outperform his contract he wants to leave. It's a two way street.

Again thats a different topic. By default the manager will (mostly) select the players he thinks most likely to win matches - at the moment I would say Benteke is one of those players. Not really sure how a player can outperform his contract - He can become that good, that it becomes obvious he can play at a higher level - but not sure any such reference would be made to that in his legal contract with the club.

Â