Christian Benteke

Kwan

If the latest 'ITK' quotes are true about spuds not valuing CB more than £18m, I suggest they move for another player who is worth £18m. No point in looking at a house for £300k if you can only get a mortgage for £200k.

Edited by brommy
  • Like 2

The guy is an idiot. He seems to think the world revolves around him.

How about wait until Spurs show they can actually afford him before burning all his bridges. 

Bigger clubs (urgh Tottenham are at the moment) can't just take players for whatever fees they want to pay. Nothing in the world works like that, except through all sorts of nasty methods of persuasion and sick morals. 

but we gave him 20k a week. a top 4 club will give him 80-150k a week and City for example have had problems clearing salaries from their wage bill in recent years. also with FFP coming in doesnt help

It's all relative though.

no big club will pay big money go for a guy with 1 year experience. Even Rooney had 2 and Euro 2004 before United bought him

Not necessarily.

you have an example of one?

Us buying Benteke for starters. £7m is a lot of money to spend on a young, completely unproven striker from Belgium.

not a great comparison

Why not? Us spending £7m on Benteke 11 months ago is arguably a bigger gamble than a top club spending £25m on him now.

The point being made was that the biggest clubs don't need to gamble on potential. They can just pay for the finished product so Benteke doesn't appeal to them right now.

Clubs like ourselves and Spurs have to take a gamble on players with limited premier league experience.

That being said the boy should have been given a new deal after that Liverpool game before Christmas, why are we always so slow to offer players deals? Had we gone down with him signing one and wasn't like he wouldn't be snapped up. 

Really??  He got offered a new contract at the end of the season like all the other players that deserved one. There is no guarantee that he will have a season like he did last year again so there is no point offering someone mega bucks until they have proved they can do it consistantly at the top for 2 or 3 seasons at least. 

Imo the way these contracts should work is if you play shit or end up like Stephen Ireland there should be a clause in the contract where your wages are reduced, I know it cant really happen for many reasons but it just sickens me that if a player plays brilliant he gets a rise and an extension deservedly but if the opposite happens and they play shit and stop caring then they still get the same wage rather than having their wage reduced and the club having an option to terminate the contract.

The point being made was that the biggest clubs don't need to gamble on potential. They can just pay for the finished product so Benteke doesn't appeal to them right now.

Clubs like ourselves and Spurs have to take a gamble on players with limited premier league experience.

The fact that he's this good and STILL got potential to improve is what would make him so attractive to the top clubs. Why pay £40m for the "finished product" when they can get Benteke for £25m?

Edited by Mantis

I imagine that Lambert, although dissapointed, has already set his sights on a replacement and how he will fit into the team.  He seems like he wont get too emotional about it or dwell on it.  He will want it done quickly so he can continue to prepare the team for the season. 

Spurs have really shown themselves to be a small time club with their actions.   Lets face it they have tapped him up, he has obvs thought that the interest is strong enough for him to put in a TR in.  They have then tried to play silly games with us on the valuation of the player.  We have not played any games.  We have set a clear price that they need to meet and they can have him.

Awful from Spurs.  Expected better.  Also from Benteke tbh.

• Like 1

The fact that he's this good and STILL got potential to improve is what would make him so attractive to the top clubs. Why pay £40m for the "finished product" when they can get Benteke for £25m?

I totally agree. He just set the Premier League alight at 22. Frankly if Spurs are quibbling over a few mil then they're mad. I believe they're a strikeforce away from a potential crack* at the league never mind the top 4 given what they have in other areas of the pitch. Benteke would be a long way towards having a strikeforce - particularly given that they often play with one up front and we've just used him on his own to great effect. I'm confident that if they don't buy him, they'll really regret it.

* That means 'in contention' before the inevitable misinterpretations...

• Like 1

I imagine that Lambert, although dissapointed, has already set his sights on a replacement and how he will fit into the team.  He seems like he wont get too emotional about it or dwell on it.  He will want it done quickly so he can continue to prepare the team for the season. 

Spurs have really shown themselves to be a small time club with their actions.   Lets face it they have tapped him up, he has obvs thought that the interest is strong enough for him to put in a TR in.  They have then tried to play silly games with us on the valuation of the player.  We have not played any games.  We have set a clear price that they need to meet and they can have him.

Awful from Spurs.  Expected better.  Also from Benteke tbh.

quite correct. Lambert is pissed off no doubt but he is a pragmatist

Evidently none of them rate him as high as we do.

The guy is an idiot. He seems to think the world revolves around him.

How about wait until Spurs show they can actually afford him before burning all his bridges. 

Bigger clubs (urgh Tottenham are at the moment) can't just take players for whatever fees they want to pay. Nothing in the world works like that, except through all sorts of nasty methods of persuasion and sick morals. 

They're not "bigger".  This term "big" is an emotive term used by the media to arouse reactions: to say one club is bigger than another is meaningless.  "Currently in a better position", "currently spending more money", "owned by a more wealthy person" are examples of more meaningful, factual ways of comparing clubs.  The media don't use these terms, though, because they are pretty neutral and don't generate the extreme reactions, passion and debate that they are after.

• Like 1

I can't see Spurs paying more than £20m for him and if its true that Villa won't sell for less than £25m then I can't see any club paying that. Its seems like the type of situation where the manager needs to sit down and talk with the lad and see how he would react to having to stay at Villa for another year. If we can convince him to stay until after the next world cup then we could get the £25m we want and Benteke might get to go to a top club rather than just going to spurs.

If we sell Benteke for big bucks I don't expect Lambert will get any more than he paid for CB to spend on a potential replacement.

And this is what will annoy the hell out of me...Lambert should get at least the profit he makes on Bentakey to re-invest

Have potential replacements already been signed?

Should there any correlation between what we receive for a player and what we spend?

As far as I can see, since O'Neill left, Randy Lerner has not refused any of his managers funding when they are targetting specific players. In certain cases we may have wished that he had done so!

To be honest if he goes to Spurs I think he will score 20+ easily with supply he will be getting and with him and Bale Spurs will be top 4 if not title contenders!

Surely that is worth the 25-30m Mr Levy? Pay up! 

Sorry but spurs need a lot more than benteke to become title contenders, they never will be without an arab with oil money.

said before if get Benteke and keep Bale id throw a sneaky tenner on them winning the title

Does Christian Benteke actually have a price? I mean, there's a lot of comments saying he's worth $25mill or whatever. However I don't think it really works like that?

As I see it, Player X isn't worth $15m, Player Y worth $6m and Player Z worth $30m. Aren't player transfer fees LITERALLY only worth what someone else is willing to pay for them? For instance, if we don't sell Benteke to Spurs for $18m, keep him for almost his full contract, then sell him back to SV Rodinghausen for $2m where he plays out the rest of his career, was he ever really a $25m player? Do you get what I'm trying to say? Like, I don't think he's a $25m player per say.

Â