Christian Benteke

Kwan

We as fans tend to over-rate the value of our own players and under-rate the value of players from other teams, if this is true there's at least a chance that there's a price at which Villa will sell and Spurs will buy which is higher than many Spurs fans think it should be, but lower than what many Villa fans think it should be, but at exactly the price the two clubs are happy for it to be. Anyway the latest rumours are Villa are asking £18m + add-ons + 25% sell-on, and the quibbling is over the size of the sell-on.

On the one-season wonder thing, we have seen Adebayor twice have a very good season, and follow it with a very poor one: 2007/08 - 24 goals, 4 assists, 2008/09 - 10 goals, 4 assists, 2011/12 - 17 goals,11 assists, 2012/13 - 5 goals, 1 assist. Personally I think it's largely a confidence issue with Ade, but most people think it's an attitude issue, and that's also the one big negative on Benteke; how will he play if his heart isn't in it? In addition to this the very fact that he'll go on strike etc. means the selling club will be unlikely to ever realise the value his talent may warrant (in this case I'm thinking of a scenario in which in the future he wants to move on from Spurs). Both these things surely must have deflationary impact on his value?

On the tapping up issue, basically I think all clubs do it, I'm certain Villa will have spoken to Kismet before speaking to Genk, and I'm sure they'd have been partially party to his strike action even if they didn't encourage it. In short, all clubs will be trying to get in their transfer targets for as little as possible, the only question-mark over these tactics and how far they should be pushed is whether they actually work, e.g. Chelsea and Modric, Berbatov and the premium Utd ended up paying to purchase him. We as fans should get our heads around this imo, and the authorities should change the law to reflect this.

James Nursey‏@JamesNursey5h

@andycarrington8 fyi source is same as tip off on CB's transfer request. V reliably told CB hopin #THFC bid this wk means no Villa return

Incredible. If true, I find it shocking that he actually doesn't even want to come back at all. He thinks he is bigger than the manager who gave him a chance in the Premier League, trusted him over a proven goalscorer in Darren Bent, alongside fans who also persisted with him when he wasn't playing as well as he did in some games. Then you've got his teammates who helped him get the goals and constantly bigged him up in the media etc.

Biggest middle finger I've seen a player give to us, which is funny as he has been backed by everybody and been treated somewhat like royalty (especially by the fans).

All this after just 10 months. Wow. Anybody would think he was in Darren Bent's situation.

I think that's a fairly normal reaction from Benteke.

Say you went on holiday and shat on the doorstep of the timeshare next door. You'd probably want to be on your way back out of there before the occupants turned up.

I agree in that perspective, as in he must feel ashamed of his actions, but I find it quite disrespectful for a player who just a few months ago said that he wouldn't 'force a move' or 'go to war' with us if we weren't happy with what a club wanted to pay, to now decide he doesn't actually want to come back to Villa at all (even for training) and hopes Spuds sort their offer before Thursday.

"Benteke is not the slightest bit like Bent and the only reason people are saying so is because they have similar names and are from the same club. That type of logic is the same type as we deride in journalism with all their lazy logic.

1) Benteke was the fourth leading scorer in the Prem last year behind only Bale, Suarez, and RVP with 19 goals in 34 league appearances, 23 goals in 39 total appearances (50% of Villa's output) and 6 goals in 10 appearances during the 12/13 season as the first choice for the Belgian national team. His success for Belgium squashes the extremely questionable argument about his success only being due to Villa's direct playing style.

2) He is 22 years old and could be a key player for years to come. Through Levy's eyes he could end up having massive sell on value.

3) He is extremely valuable in buildup play. He had 47 key passes in 34 Premier League appearances last year. In terms of true line leading strikers only Suarez, RVP, Lambert, and Tevez had more. This is also playing for a team that spent many games getting dominated in possession. That's also 9 more than Negredo (who had 2 apps than Benteke) and 19 more than Soldado's 28 in 35 appearances. But since they are Spanish they get the benefit of the doubt. Does that sound like Darren Bent to you?

4) He is an absolute beast in the air winning almost 8 aerial duels a game. Think about how awful some of our set pieces were and how many great crosses went begging because of how poor Defoe and Adebayor are in the air. Having a guy like Benteke makes Bale, Lennon, Walker, BAE, Siggy and whoever else can hit a cross that much more dangerous.

5) He is a massive and elite athlete that is tailored perfectly to being a line leading number 9.

Bottom line is that the striker market is massively inflated. You're either buying an unproven player from a lower league Bony (12m), Altidore (12m), Van Wolfswinfel (10m), the quoted 20m+ for Damaio, and there are plenty more examples. Or the alternative is spending huge on proven players like Torres, Carroll, Tevez, Aguero, Suarez, Higuan, Jovetic, etc. In addition all these guys want massive wages with the big transfer fee.

In Benteke you have an extremely well rounded center forward who is 22 years old and was a top 5 scorer in the league. His fee is high but not nearly as high as the top level guys. If he replicates his form of last season his value could double. Plus, he will want sensible wages around 60 or 70k unlike the probably 120k that David Villa wanted.

Scoop Benteke up as quick as possible IMO. He's the best possible striker out there for us and I think the combination of stats, age, and price back that up"

A spurs fan talking sense.... Shocker

• Like 1

James Nursey‏@JamesNursey5h

@andycarrington8 fyi source is same as tip off on CB's transfer request. V reliably told CB hopin #THFC bid this wk means no Villa return

Incredible. If true, I find it shocking that he actually doesn't even want to come back at all. He thinks he is bigger than the manager who gave him a chance in the Premier League, trusted him over a proven goalscorer in Darren Bent, alongside fans who also persisted with him when he wasn't playing as well as he did in some games. Then you've got his teammates who helped him get the goals and constantly bigged him up in the media etc.

Biggest middle finger I've seen a player give to us, which is funny as he has been backed by everybody and been treated somewhat like royalty (especially by the fans).

All this after just 10 months. Wow. Anybody would think he was in Darren Bent's situation.

I think that's a fairly normal reaction from Benteke.

Say you went on holiday and shat on the doorstep of the timeshare next door. You'd probably want to be on your way back out of there before the occupants turned up.

I agree in that perspective, as in he must feel ashamed of his actions, but I find it quite disrespectful for a player who just a few months ago said that he wouldn't 'force a move' or 'go to war' with us if we weren't happy with what a club wanted to pay, to now decide he doesn't actually want to come back to Villa at all (even for training) and hopes Spuds sort their offer before Thursday.

I guess we'll see how he handles the situation if he's still here at the end of the week. I can understand that he wouldn't want to be there, but if he gets his head down and causes little fuss, then I see no additional problem with this. He's allowed to want the transfer to go through, entirely understandable, let's just hope he doesn't throw his toys out of the pram should things not go his way.

Edited by Shillzz

I guess Genk fans picked up on his personality a lot quicker than we did. Training is back on from Thursday morning, so unless Mr Levy finds a few more million quid by tomorrow evening my bet is we'll see Benteke's mug alongside the development squad until further notice, or not at all if he wants to lose his wages.

Hope Lambert kicks a boot at his head.

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 1

I guess Genk fans picked up on his personality a lot quicker than we did. Training is back on from Thursday morning, so unless Mr Levy finds a few more million quid by tomorrow evening my bet is we'll see Benteke's mug alongside the development squad until further notice, or not at all if he wants to lose his wages.

'Reckon there's a chance Lambert could talk him around. Not necessarily a good one, but Benteke is easily influenced by others (i.e. his agent), so there's no reason to suggest Lambert couldn't do the same. 

Assuming that no suitable bids come in for CB, then towards the start of the season he will sack his agent (Agent falls on his sword) with CB saying that 'He's was badly advised and let down by someone he trusted and was forced into handing in a TR, and he really doesn't want to leave after all' - who have trouble believing a football player in limited intelligence shocker and that he unquestioningly did as he was told.

Goes a long way to smooth things over with the fans (who'll never know the truth) and the club/Playersand. His re-acceptance wil be completed once he starts banging in the goals again.

• Like 1

Assuming that no suitable bids come in for CB, then towards the start of the season he will sack his agent (Agent falls on his sword) with CB saying that 'He's was badly advised and let down by someone he trusted and was forced into handing in a TR, and he really doesn't want to leave after all' - who have trouble believing a football player in limited intelligence shocker and that he unquestioningly did as he was told.

Goes a long way to smooth things over with the fans (who'll never know the truth) and the club/Playersand. His re-acceptance wil be completed once he starts banging in the goals again.

He doesn't even need to do that, in my opinion. We all know he's more than a bit naive (stupid), and we all know that he's submitted a transfer request. If we get him for another year, then that's all we were ever expecting anyway.

Sure United fans weren't complaining too much when Ronaldo netted 40+ goals for them after spending an entire summer battering his eyelashes at Madrid.

Edited by Shillzz

Of course he wants the deal done quickly and of course he doesn't want to come back he's put a transfer request in, it's not rocket science is it?

There's a story if he fails to return and throws the rattle out the pram, that hasn't happened yet, lets wait and see.

'Reckon there's a chance Lambert could talk him around. Not necessarily a good one, but Benteke is easily influenced by others (i.e. his agent), so there's no reason to suggest Lambert couldn't do the same. 

maybe lock him in a room until 1 September

Benteke is a class player. You could just tell his confidence on the ball last year, for his age defenders were just bouncing off him

He is no one season wonder.

This

With him Spurs will go from a one man team to a two man team ....

That back heel v Liverpool ... Doubt we will see anything like that in a villa shirt for a few more years sadly

Thetrees you on Benteke watch tomorrow?

No

If he flies into here it will be on a schedule from Brussels or Dusseldorf I guess.

would he not be joining the rest of the squad in Germany for pre-season training

maybe lock him in a room until 1 September

Locking him in a room with Dale Stephens as punishment is beyond harsh its cruel

We as fans tend to over-rate the value of our own players and under-rate the value of players from other teams, if this is true there's at least a chance that there's a price at which Villa will sell and Spurs will buy which is higher than many Spurs fans think it should be, but lower than what many Villa fans think it should be, but at exactly the price the two clubs are happy for it to be. Anyway the latest rumours are Villa are asking £18m + add-ons + 25% sell-on, and the quibbling is over the size of the sell-on.

On the one-season wonder thing, we have seen Adebayor twice have a very good season, and follow it with a very poor one: 2007/08 - 24 goals, 4 assists, 2008/09 - 10 goals, 4 assists, 2011/12 - 17 goals,11 assists, 2012/13 - 5 goals, 1 assist. Personally I think it's largely a confidence issue with Ade, but most people think it's an attitude issue, and that's also the one big negative on Benteke; how will he play if his heart isn't in it? In addition to this the very fact that he'll go on strike etc. means the selling club will be unlikely to ever realise the value his talent may warrant (in this case I'm thinking of a scenario in which in the future he wants to move on from Spurs). Both these things surely must have deflationary impact on his value?

On the tapping up issue, basically I think all clubs do it, I'm certain Villa will have spoken to Kismet before speaking to Genk, and I'm sure they'd have been partially party to his strike action even if they didn't encourage it. In short, all clubs will be trying to get in their transfer targets for as little as possible, the only question-mark over these tactics and how far they should be pushed is whether they actually work, e.g. Chelsea and Modric, Berbatov and the premium Utd ended up paying to purchase him. We as fans should get our heads around this imo, and the authorities should change the law to reflect this.

Actually get your facts right on AVFC about tapping up, many times under Randy Lerner and PF, we have been praised about the way we do business. Donb't think the same is said about Levy. As for your latest rumours, they're changing everyday. Thought it was all wrapped up for 23million yesterday according to Spurs ITK's.

Thetrees you on Benteke watch tomorrow?

No

If he flies into here it will be on a schedule from Brussels or Dusseldorf I guess.

would he not be joining the rest of the squad in Germany for pre-season training

Thats finished bro. 

Actually get your facts right on AVFC about tapping up, many times under Randy Lerner and PF, we have been praised about the way we do business. Donb't think the same is said about Levy. As for your latest rumours, they're changing everyday. Thought it was all wrapped up for 23million yesterday according to Spurs ITK's.

On the facts straight thing, I haven't got any facts, just opinion.

On the rumour/ITK thing, I called it a rumour for a reason...

Â