Christian Benteke

Kwan

To be fair that Tancredi Palmeri is rarely spot on with news.

Seems strange that an Italian journo would have the breaking news on a deal between English & Spanish clubs.

There are other players out there. Who had even heard of beteke before he came here? I hadn't. If he stays then great but If he goes he goes, PL will find another.

• Like 1

All I've taken from the news is that another team is interested to the half dozen we already know about and more importantly a decision wont be made until after Belgium's qualifier with Serbia on June the 7th. Two weeks away.

Anything between now and then will be in the media purely to increase Benteke's bargaining position when a contract or move away is discussed.

No need to worry for a while yet.

A real shame but not a surprise. I remember when he signed he said he saw Villa as a stepping stone to a "big" club (maybe someone can dig out the quote). At least he's been honest throughout.

Its just a matter of how much and who to now.

Can't really blame the agent, I'm sure few people on here would pass up the chance to earn a couple of million quid for a few weeks work.

Think people are overreacting a bit. Let's wait and see what happens first before getting into a massive panic.

Exactly. Not sure about the credibility of the information - or the quality of the translations - but either way we'll be fine.

Either he stays, which is great....

Or we sell him for shit loads of cash... which will also be great. 

We go again. We'll get a bloody fortune for him and I fully trust Lambert to use that warchest to its fullest. I thought we'd get another season out of him but there was always the massive possibility that we wouldn't. Let's see how this pans out.

• Like 4

We go again. We'll get a bloody fortune for him and I fully trust Lambert to use that warchest to its fullest. I thought we'd get another season out of him but there was always the massive possibility that we wouldn't. Let's see how this pans out.

Pretty much this.

I'm used it to now, players leaving etc.. i'm not expecting him to be here in 2-3 years time regardless of what pans out this summer; so if he leaves all I ask is we get a very good replacement.

If it was the Mirror or the Sun reporting this it'd be debunked.

I don't think there's much in this at all, he's away on international duty and will probably sign an improved deal on his return.

If I'm wrong, we get a ton of cash but personally I think he's happy to stay with the team.

Have we even had any offers? Bit odd for somebody to come out and state they won't be forced to stay here when:

1. He is under contract for 3 years.

2. We haven't received any offers.

I smell bullshit. Belgian guy where are you!

If he does leave I can't see him going for any less than £25m. We're still in the Premier League, he's just had a fantastic season, he's one of the hottest properties in Europe and he's got 3 years left on his contract. As others have said, we hold all the aces here.

Well it looks like he won't be signing that new contract and wants to move after all.

We could hold him to his contract for another season but I suspect we will cash in to the highest bidder. If he did the same thing to us that he did to Genk we would really be in the crap.

See that's the thing with contracts - we could force him to stay if we wanted to.

My worry is that our whole system that has developed this season revolves around him, he goes and were back to square one.

I know we'll get a lot of money for him and I'm actually confident lambert will invest it wisely. Not sure we'll be able to replace what he gave us this year though.

My worry is just how much our reputation as a club seems to continue to drop. 3 relegation battles in a row and now not being able to keep top players for more than a year.

Yes it's hard and yes players have all the power but we seem to just becoming even more of a nothing club.

Think people are overreacting a bit. Let's wait and see what happens first before getting into a massive panic.

Exactly. Not sure about the credibility of the information - or the quality of the translations - but either way we'll be fine.

Either he stays, which is great....

Or we sell him for shit loads of cash... which will also be great. 

I hope so, but...

We sold Milner, Barry and Young for shit loads of cash and it wasn't great.

I don't see a huge problem with him leaving, we should be looking to get £30m for him and that could be used to spread a bit more quality around the side.

The problems are thus:

There are no guarantees that all of this money would be re-invested back into the squad. If the last couple of years have showed us anything, it's the exact opposite.

All clubs will instantly know that we have a huge warchest, against which they can hold us to ransom.

It'll destroy the notion of our team moving forward together, just like it did when Barry left. Players like Weimann will also start to question their future.

Edited by Shillzz

Â