Christian Benteke

Kwan

Isn't it Standard practice that usually half the fee is paid up front & the remaining 12 months later? I'm talking about domestic transfers here...remember seeing something on it once

That wouldn't be triggering a clause though, that'd be paying half of the clause and triggering it a year later when the rest is paid. This isn't a standard practice transfer. Depending on what's in the contract, we don't have to sell until someone gives us 32.5m (or whatever the figure is) for Benteke. 16m now and 16m next year does not equal someone giving us 32m for him now

Are you making this up on the fly?

Because I'm really not sure that's how it works.

So what's to stop pool bidding nothing up front, and the rest on the last possible day, but planning to sell him before that point at a profit so he costs them nothing apart from wages? By your logic we'd be bound to accept that deal

That's an extreme example, and one that I'm sure there would be a way for us to get around. I'm sure the payment terms need to be agreed upon by both clubs.

But I'd be very surprised if a buyout clause means we have to have every penny up front.

That's an extreme example, and one that I'm sure there would be a way for us to get around. I'm sure the payment terms need to be agreed upon by both clubs.

But I'd be very surprised if a buyout clause means we have to have every penny up front.

If a payment plan needs to be agreed by both clubs then it's not a release clause, it's an obligation to negotiate with no obligation to agree

• Like 1

If a payment plan needs to be agreed by both clubs then it's not a release clause, it's an obligation to negotiate with no obligation to agree

Whatever it is, I still very much doubt we need the whole fee up front. It's just not how transfers are done these days.

I might be wrong, I'll admit that. But I think you're just making this up. You don't know it, do you?

Edited by Stevo985

I haven't seen the clause obviously, but I've got a reasonable idea how contracts work from business dealings, and it would fly in the face of any reasonable business mentality for a release clause that obligates a club to sell to allow partial payments. That's not meeting the clause amount.

Edited by P3te

That makes a lot of sense. If there can be negotiation of any kind with us, it seems to negate the idea of a release clause.

It says everything to me about the modern game that we are about to lose our best player and best striker in about 20 years and people are talking about the structure of the payments we might receive.

Football is irretrievably broken.

That's why I don't get a season ticket anymore. Our best player leaving again, and for someone not even top 4. Pathetic. We will never be anything again in this league.

• Like 1

That makes a lot of sense. If there can be negotiation of any kind with us, it seems to negate the idea of a release clause.

Exactly. A release clause is an obligation, if there's negotiation involved then there's no obligation

It says everything to me about the modern game that we are about to lose our best player and best striker in about 20 years and people are talking about the structure of the payments we might receive.

Football is irretrievably broken.

That's why I don't get a season ticket anymore. Our best player leaving again, and for someone not even top 4. Pathetic. We will never be anything again in this league.

Southampton have been consistently losing their best players every year since they have been back up and are doing just fine. things are slowly but surely getting better ffs, chin up. We are slowly building a proper structure and have a good manager in Tim. RELAX!

• Like 1

I haven't seen the clause obviously, but I've got a reasonable idea how contracts work from business dealings, and it would fly in the face of any reasonable business mentality for a release clause that obligates a club to sell to allow partial payments. That's not meeting the clause amount.

Pretty sure serious business is conducted with a healthy dose of common sense rather than having every tiny detail put in paper. If Pool meet the price then team executives sit and negotiate in good faith, come up with a plan and move on. 

I don't know what kind of business "dealings" you have been involved in but that's absolutely nothing like my experience. As an actual business owner.

Payment terms don't have to be "all up front or whenever you like". In fact they never are. The terms will be stated in the clause.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

I don't know what kind of business "dealings" you have been involved in but that's absolutely nothing like my experience. As an actual business owner.

Payment terms don't have to be "all up front or whenever you like". In fact they never are. The terms will be stated in the clause.

I've run a couple of businesses, so I'm in much the same position as you. You're failing to realise that this isn't a regular transaction, this is a transaction arising from contractual obligation. If there's negotiation there's not obligation. The two aren't compatible. You can't negotiate something you're obliged to accept. We MIGHT accept what Liverpool are offering in terms of payment plan, but there's no way we HAVE to. If they bid the full amount up front, we will HAVE to

Although the release clause is very different to normal business dealings.

I've run a couple of businesses, so I'm in much the same position as you. You're failing to realise that this isn't a regular transaction, this is a transaction arising from contractual obligation. If there's negotiation there's not obligation. The two aren't compatible. You can't negotiate something you're obliged to accept. We MIGHT accept what Liverpool are offering in terms of payment plan, but there's no way we HAVE to. If they bid the full amount up front, we will HAVE to

If that's in the clause. The clause might say "a promise to pay £32.5m within X days of completion". See what I'm saying?

• Like 1

Although the release clause is very different to normal business dealings.

I'm not arguing any different. I'm actually arguing that without access to the clause we've no idea, at all, how it is worded.

• Like 1

If that's in the clause. The clause might say "a promise to pay £32.5m within X days of completion". See what I'm saying?

Absolutely, but do you think there's a high chance we've put that into the release clause of our most valuable asset? Also, if that WAS the case, then there would be no negotiation with Liverpool, as the reports are suggesting. We'd have been obligated to accept the bid

I wouldn't know about the first part. It's not just about us, there is another party involved. I mean who would have thought we'd put an £8m release clause into Delph's contract?

Agree on the second. I think that is where we disconnected.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

Â