Christian Benteke

Kwan

If we get £32 million for him I'd be happy to sell. He's a fantastic player but the transfer saga will just continue every summer as long as he's with us any way. Brilliant player but we can do a hell of a lot with £32m.

The only way we'll avoid transfer sagas every summer is by having a squad full of players no one else wants.

I'd rather keep our best players and have the sagas.

• Like 2

Benteke is a an all-time Villa hero even if he dirty protests Sherwoods car and sleeps with Randy's daughter to get his move (does Randy have a daughter?  I'm praying she's not twelve.)  Hell, he's welcome at my gaff for some fine Belgian ale anytime he wants.  Why, he can even have his elegant way with my ex, who incidentally was weirldy into him...

What I don't understand is the attitude of other teams' fans towards Our Beast.  Particularly from our dear Liverpool friends seeing as he tore them new orifices on more than one occasion.  What don't they see in him?  Why the antipathy?  How many PL-proven, young goalscorers are there out there?

Where the hell did ``hero'' come from. Do you mean ``legend''?

No matter really, he is not close to being either.

I want more from my ``exalted ones'' than someone who professed a desire to move on as he joined us, and has been persuing that goal ever since.

• Like 2

Anyone have any knowledge/theory about what happens if Liverpool offer 32.5 million with three (or so) hours left in the transfer window?

My guess is we'd have to accept. Not good.

By that time I think you start ignoring all contact from clubs....

• Like 1

Absolutely one of the best we've ever had, but not close to being a villa hero

I see. What would a quintessential best versus hero comparison be? Say, Yorke versus Taylor?

I hate Dwight Yorke.

And yet, in my eyes, closer to any exalted status than Benteke.

Good, I hope they bloody well sign Llorente and just let us get on with our preparations for next season. They're like a particularly irritating mosquito. 

I doubt if our preparations are being effected at all.

Anyone have any knowledge/theory about what happens if Liverpool offer 32.5 million with three (or so) hours left in the transfer window?

From everything I have read, we would have to accept the bid. However I can't imagine that the staff members at Villa park will be rushing and running to make sure paper work goes through on time. I imagine the fax machine might be on the blink too ;)

• Like 2

Sherwood was asked if there was a cut off time and he said nothing they can do if the clause was met

From everything I have read, we would have to accept the bid. However I can't imagine that the staff members at Villa park will be rushing and running to make sure paper work goes through on time. I imagine the fax machine might be on the blink too ;)

"Aww damn, someone shot our only homing pigeon".

Yeah I s'pose they could argue that their time was necessarily taken up finding a replacement, so sorry it couldn't be done in time and good day to you.

Just to clarify, I do not have heroes, just players I respect or like.

It is only football, not war.

Yep, this. Plus I'm not 12 years old anymore.

With all due respect fellas do you so sternly sport the halo of maturity when roaring like Godzilla as an overpaid manchild does a funny little dance after kicking a ball really, really hard and really, really accurately.  It's a beautiful game.  It makes us feel silly emotions.  I love that I can engage with something so inherently meaningless with such seriousness.  Hero is just a fun term.  Conversely, it's when people unthinking use the term 'hero' in the real world that I get squeamish.

In short, Christian, if you're out there friend, you, me some Leffe, how about it?  You'll get all the fruity words your heart desires.

• Like 2

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3162117/Manchester-United-eye-trump-rivals-Liverpool-Christian-Benteke.html

Manchester United are monitoring Christian Benteke’s position at Aston Villa as they consider rivalling Liverpool in the race for the Belgium international.

Louis van Gaal has re-shaped his squad with the arrivals of Matteo Darmin, Memphis Depay, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Morgan Schneiderlin, but he also wants a forward following the sale of Robin van Persie to Fenerbahce.

Liverpool, though unwilling to meet the £32.5million buyout clause in Benteke's contract, remain favourites to sign the 24-year-old, who has made clear his determination to leave Villa Park this summer.

United have not made any firm contact with Villa over Benteke but he is a player they are considering ahead of the new season.

Villa boss Tim Sherwood, however, is confident Benteke will play a ‘huge part’ for Aston Villa next season, despite the links with United and Liverpool.

Benteke, 24, wants to leave to play European football but is not expected to employ Raheem Sterling-style tactics and is out with Villa on their pre-season tour to the Algarve, Portugal

‘I don’t think Christian would pull a sulk or anything like that,’ said Sherwood. ‘He knows there’s too much at stake. He respects the club too much.

‘I’m confident that in my mind he’s a huge part of next season. He’s going to be very important for us.

‘A lot of teams have sold their one player, Gareth Bale, Luis Suarez, and then tried to get the same results by bringing in six or seven. It doesn’t happen, does it?

‘You can take your £32.5m but try and spend it! It’s a tough market out there. Other chairmen would be happy wouldn’t they? If Christian was to go the prices go up, clubs would hold us to ransom.

‘I think Liverpool have shown an interest but there’s not been a bid worth considering. They’ve got six or seven strikers themselves at the moment - they’ ve just taken two new ones in as well.

‘They’ve got Divock Origi back, they’ve got Danny Ings, the Brazilian boy Roberto Firmino for £29m – they’ve got a few options there.’

Sherwood has put together a list of possible Benteke replacements in any case, adding: ‘You need a plan just in case that bid does come in but £32.5m is nothing if you lose your Premier League status for next season.

Edited by Nabby
  • Like 1

Spurs have cleared the way for Liverpool to prepare a bid while Man United are monitoring the situation.

Villa have slapped a high price on the want-away striker who had his heart set on a move away.

So have I covered all the day's "news" ahead of time?

Haha good work, Man United do indeed seem to be "monitoring the situation".

Benteke is the best Villa striker i've seen since Yorke. And i do consider him a bit of a legend already. However, players come and go and that's football

You move on. I still love Yorke and can't believe anyone would say they hate him. What ever for ?

benteke is the best player we've had for a while but he's playing in a time where the cynic in me doesnt let me have favourite players

3/4 good years constantly surrounded by rumours that he doesnt want to be here, at least 1 very genuine attempt to leave and now the fact that as soon as someone activates his release clause he'll be gone, i find it hard to see him as a club legend

for me its a bit like carew, people are confusing "legend" with him having a great chant that always got the holte end going

• Like 1

Â