Christian Benteke

Kwan

How can you be involved in football and not know the difference between Brendan Rodgers' voice and what sounds like Alan Shearer trying to impersonate Colin Farrell?

Extremely fishy or extremely stupid. Either way, it doesn't change much.

Foreigners struggle big time with native English speaking accents.

Also the guy who made the video can likely look forward to being sued to absolute bits in the near future for impersonating someone and recording a call without permission, plus the damage caused by posting it after doing both the aforementioned

Some of the comments on here make me laugh. Liverpool are a bigger club than Villa, whether we like it or not. Their owners have ambitions of playing Champions League football, whether they get it or not is a different subject altogether but the fact remains that they at least have those ambitions. Our owner doesn't even want to be here and is happy just to stay in the Premier League.

The current ambitions of the two clubs are miles apart and I wouldn't blame Benteke for going somewhere where their sights are set a lot higher than ours.

People also need to remind themselves that pre-Sherwood there was a lot of fans moaning about Benteke and how he was lazy and offering us nothing, saying we should have cashed in for £20m or however much it was that Spurs were offering us.

I like the guy and wish we had a team of players around him to get the best out of him but, unfortunately for us, we have a lot of crap around him. If we can afford to fund those better players then keep him but, if we can't, we might as well cash in - if a club is willing to pay the right price - and use the money to rebuild.

• Like 3

We seem to be in the middle of a very big battle with Liverpool over money. They want to pay around £20m and we want the full £32.5m. That's a lot of money - it matters. There are people who will do anything and everything to ensure that they win that £10m battle. 

I'd keep that in mind with whatever you read over the next month or so concerning Benteke. If you see him in a Liverpool scarf, keep £10m in mind, if you hear he's said bad things about Villa, or good things about Liverpool, think about that £10m if his agent is stirring the pot, ask yourself why. 

He has a release clause, we don't want to sell him for less, why would we? What leverage could Liverpool apply? 

The answer is me and you and we have to be very careful as fans this summer that we remain calm enough not to allow Liverpool to rip us off.

• Like 3

Also, on rebuilding, it's worth keeping in mind that Benteke isn't particularly well paid in Premier league terms - I've seen people saying "Sell him for £30m and get three £10m players in to improve the squad." 

Benteke sold for £32.5m plus the last two remaining years of his contract not spent would bring in about £37.5m. 

if we buy a player like Townsend from Spurs for say £10m, he's going to want the going rate for a four year contract  - say £60k a week. That's £22m of that £37.5m spent on one £10m player.

At a push, if we got lucky with wages we could go out and buy a couple of players worth about £8m with the money selling Benteke at full price would bring in.

What's good news is that works both ways - the money we could be bringing into the club on wages we'll release from the 8-12 players who won't be involved next year could mean we've got more to play with than we think - the Bent, Tonev, Helenius, Sylla, Luna, Herd money should all be coming back before we even look at selling players from this years squad.

I figure one way or the other, the manager has a chance at two things - either keeping Benteke, which I'm not ruling out, or having enough money available from a good clear out which unfortunately includes him to make an impact.

• Like 3

but if say Plop offerd the value of the buy out clause stated payments over 2 years we could refuse the deal on the basis of disagreeing with the payment method?

If Football Manager is anything to go by, them no, they have to pay the full amount. Which makes sense, otherwise a team could offer £1m and the rest in instalments over the next 5 years.

How can you be involved in football and not know the difference between Brendan Rodgers' voice and what sounds like Alan Shearer trying to impersonate Colin Farrell?

Extremely fishy or extremely stupid. Either way, it doesn't change much.

Foreigners struggle big time with native English speaking accents.

Also the guy who made the video can likely look forward to being sued to absolute bits in the near future for impersonating someone and recording a call without permission, plus the damage caused by posting it after doing both the aforementioned

you might not quite recognise the accent, but surely you'd recognise a voice. Someone could call me up speaking German but I'd never once think it was Jurgen Klopp because I know what he sounds like.

So Benteke himself has said that Kismet will handle the situation, and that he did his season with Villa and isn't thinking about us now.

I admire his ambition but the way he goes about getting transfers is awful, he could have had legendary status here if not for the transfer request and general vibe of us being nothing more than a stepping stone. It'd be nice if he left on a positive note, but as things stand I think this move will cut his ties with the Villa faithful.

Shame really, incredible talent with a prick of an agent who he puts his utmost trust into - I'd be fuming if I saw that video come out of my agent.

What's to stop Liverpool from meeting his release clause on the last day of the transfer window, thereby leaving us in the shit in terms of finding a replacement?

We seem to be in the middle of a very big battle with Liverpool over money. They want to pay around £20m and we want the full £32.5m. That's a lot of money - it matters. There are people who will do anything and everything to ensure that they win that £10m battle. 

I'd keep that in mind with whatever you read over the next month or so concerning Benteke. If you see him in a Liverpool scarf, keep £10m in mind, if you hear he's said bad things about Villa, or good things about Liverpool, think about that £10m if his agent is stirring the pot, ask yourself why. 

He has a release clause, we don't want to sell him for less, why would we? What leverage could Liverpool apply? 

The answer is me and you and we have to be very careful as fans this summer that we remain calm enough not to allow Liverpool to rip us off.

I would just add to this that however low Liverpools offer will eventually be, Benteke and his agent will do everything to force Villa to accept. They have no loyalty to us, they want to drive this move through at any cost.

That is what the agent meant by "insisting" When the offer comes in, Benteke will insist it is accepted.

We really need to play hardball on this. If people on here are claiming we'll loose £10mil by not selling, they need to bear in mind that we could loose that and still sell if Liverpool were to get their own way.

• Like 1

What's to stop Liverpool from meeting his release clause on the last day of the transfer window, thereby leaving us in the shit in terms of finding a replacement?

Nothing but if they did, I'm sure that Villa would do everything in their power to stall the issue.

The ideal scenario is for us to get the replacement in before he moves but this will not happen.

There is no chance we should do anything other than laugh at Liverpool if indeed they have offered a paltry 20m for Benteke, although according to that spoof call his agent said he had had no offers at all so 20m may just be media BS. How on Earth they can ask 50m for Sterling and then in the next breath offer 20m for Benteke truly shows what that club is all about.

• Like 1

£10 mil for us going by the last few seasons is 2/3 players so yes it matters ..but more than that Bony and Lukaku set the bar on prices for Strikers of that age group and goal record s we are right to stand our ground.As for Benteke .he signed a contract with the clause in it for 4 years with 2 remaining so we have every right to hold him to it.

Liverpool are trying to get him on the cheap meanwhile they have a player in Sterling who is in same position as Benteke yet they are playing hardball so they can't expect us to just give in to them.

• Like 2

£10 mil for us going by the last few seasons is 2/3 players so yes it matters ..but more than that Bony and Lukaku set the bar on prices for Strikers of that age group and goal record s we are right to stand our ground.As for Benteke .he signed a contract with the clause in it for 4 years with 2 remaining so we have every right to hold him to it.

Liverpool are trying to get him on the cheap meanwhile they have a player in Sterling who is in same position as Benteke yet they are playing hardball so they can't expect us to just give in to them.

And they value him at £50 million even though he hasn't accomplished a fraction of what Benteke has in the PL.

Â