Christian Benteke

Kwan

He's off. You don't just let information like that slip. Deliberate and clever way of preparing fans for his exit. It's possible that a club already has (or is about to) meet Benteke's clause. So Sherwood has decided to speak first. No surprise anyway but it'd have been preferable if it could've happened after the final.

• Like 2

32.5 million what an absolute joke, now all the stories make sense. Why is Sherwood mentioning a buy out clause in public though? Seems daft.

Anyone but Liverpool please.

If that's true whoever was daft enough to put that clause in needs a check up from the neck up, Daft idiots.. I though a buy out clause was supposed to be higher than the players actual value? If Sterling is worth 50m then Benteke can't be far off that and a buy out clause should have been set way higher than 32.5m, Goodness me this club does itself no favours! Also why is our manager releasing this kind of info on the eve of an FA cup final?

To be fair it was probably that clause or no contract and he would have been gone two season ago. And Villa would be fighting relegation in the Championship.

• Like 3

32.5 million what an absolute joke, now all the stories make sense. Why is Sherwood mentioning a buy out clause in public though? Seems daft.

Anyone but Liverpool please.

Do you not think any interested clubs already knew?

Benteke was always going to leave, he's far too good for a team that's finished near the bottom for 4 consecutive seasons.

Let's get as much as we can and make ourselves stronger.

If that's true whoever was daft enough to put that clause in needs a check up from the neck up, Daft idiots.. I though a buy out clause was supposed to be higher than the players actual value? If Sterling is worth 50m then Benteke can't be far off that and a buy out clause should have been set way higher than 32.5m, Goodness me this club does itself no favours! Also why is our manager releasing this kind of info on the eve of an FA cup final?

To be fair it was probably that clause or no contract and he would have been gone two season ago. And Villa would be fighting relegation in the Championship.

Well maybe, but goodness me!

This.

Its not like Lambert or whoever it is that sorted contracts at the time just went "**** it, let's stick a release clause in there for shits and giggles"

If that clause exists then it was almost certainly a demand from Benteke's camp.

And I'd wager their initial suggestion was a lot lower than £32.5 million.

Let's be honest with ourselves here.

£32.5 million is a lot of **** money. Maybe we could have squeezed a bit more out of somebody but I doubt it would have been a considerable increase on that.

If he was going to leave this summer, then £32.5 million is a fairly decent return.

Obviously I'd rather keep him than have the money!

One thing I am annoyed about is that Faulkner (I think it was, or maybe Lambert) said that his new deal didn't have a release clause around the time it was signed if I remember correctly. Obviously that was rubbish.

One thing I am annoyed about is that Faulkner (I think it was, or maybe Lambert) said that his new deal didn't have a release clause around the time it was signed if I remember correctly. Obviously that was rubbish.

Yup I remember that too.

We kept him for a further 2 years when it looked like Spurs were about to poach him. Hopefully bigger teams than Liverpool will come in.

The kiss of death for me was his agent saying that the only thing they were interested in was keeping Villa in the division. It was the surest sign for me that he was thinking further ahead than that.

Bear in mind that wherever he ends up, he will have to produce. If, for example, he doesn't hit the ground running at somewhere like Liverpool, it won't take long for their clueless fans to turn on him. Sherwood really has got the best out of him-Not sure a side higher up the table would give him the same sort of attention. We could put Charlie Austin in there and instruct the team to hit him every time-The goal ratio would be somewhere similar.

I'd say LFC have tapped him up like they did with Barry and now won't pay the fee! Sherwood specifically said why go to a team that doesn't cross?!it wasn't a general he's got a buyout will he be off. It's nice of the press to try to unsettle us running into our biggest game in years. Where's all the Walcott speculation? He's got one year left.

• Like 1

I cant see Liverpool bidding 30m+

Neither can I but think the plan is they'll sell Sterling for 50m (yes I know but someone daft like Man. City will pay that), sign people like Ings and Milner as freebies to baulk up the squad and then Benteke would be their blockbuster summer signing and is needed as Sturridge won't even make the start of next season now.

I think now the price of the buy out clause has bizarrely been made public Saturday will be his last game for the club, he'll probably look at it as scoring the cup final winner will be the natural ending for him here.

I agree Liverpool look on the way down again but look at it from Benteke's P.O.V:

1. He'll look at Luis Suarez and you know how highly footballers rate themselves, will think he can have the same impact Suarez had on lifting that team. If that happens Liverpool could challenge for the league again although to me they're a long way off that. Footballers don't deeply analyise things as much as fans do.

2. He'll use Liverpool as a stepping stone. Suarez left Ajax for Liverpool for Barcelona. Mascherano left West Ham for Liverpool for Barcelona. Torres left Atletico for Liverpool for Chelsea. Career progression. Playing for Liverpool wouldn't be the height of his career, he's got the potential to play for one of the very best teams in the world.

I've always said I would rather he went abroad and play for any number of very good teams on the continent but he likes the premier league so staying in that seems to be his number 1 choice.

It would be sickening to see him play for Liverpool but I'll forgive him if he scores the cup final winner.

We kept him for a further 2 years when it looked like Spurs were about to poach him. Hopefully bigger teams than Liverpool will come in.

The kiss of death for me was his agent saying that the only thing they were interested in was keeping Villa in the division. It was the surest sign for me that he was thinking further ahead than that.

Bear in mind that wherever he ends up, he will have to produce. If, for example, he doesn't hit the ground running at somewhere like Liverpool, it won't take long for their clueless fans to turn on him. Sherwood really has got the best out of him-Not sure a side higher up the table would give him the same sort of attention. We could put Charlie Austin in there and instruct the team to hit him every time-The goal ratio would be somewhere similar.

That's exactly what I'd do tbh... 

Â