Christian Benteke

Kwan

I don't think he'll get THAT much more to be honest. £55-60k a week, maybe £65k. I'm sure we offered parity with Gabby, so probably in the ballpark of £55k. That's what's surprising me most about the fact that it looks like he'll be off to Spurs - they're neither a CL side nor big payers. I suspect the reason they're top of his list is because he sees them as another intermediary club. He'll go there for a year, then look to one of the big boys where he'll more than double his wages again. In a way it's probably a relatively sensible move when you take off the claret and blue tinted glasses. He's not going all out to a major club where he'll warm the bench for a season, instead he's probably going to the biggest club he'd be guaranteed a game at. If he does end up there, it's little more than another springboard.

The worst thing about that, if it's the case, is that he could've just stayed here for another year and taken his £55k a week or whatever. In the bigger picture the difference is pocket money for a pro footballer when taxes are taken into consideration

I don't think he'll get THAT much more to be honest. £55-60k a week, maybe £65k. I'm sure we offered parity with Gabby, so probably in the ballpark of £55k. That's what's surprising me most about the fact that it looks like he'll be off to Spurs - they're neither a CL side nor big payers. I suspect the reason they're top of his list is because he sees them as another intermediary club. He'll go there for a year, then look to one of the big boys where he'll more than double his wages again. In a way it's probably a relatively sensible move when you take off the claret and blue tinted glasses. He's not going all out to a major club where he'll warm the bench for a season, instead he's probably going to the biggest club he'd be guaranteed a game at. If he does end up there, it's little more than another springboard.

The worst thing about that, if it's the case, is that he could've just stayed here for another year and taken his £55k a week or whatever. In the bigger picture the difference is pocket money for a pro footballer when taxes are taken into consideration

I think this is it, but would add that he figures he can be the difference that sees them qualify for CL instead of just missing out, particularly since it appears Bale is staying.  Then he won't "have to" switch clubs again in a year.  It's not just about money.  But if he does well again he'll either be offered a new contract at higher wages or have a chance to move for the big payday in a couple of years.  He'll get a good wage, be a starter and star and quite possibly have CL football and will still be young enough to be very attractive to a big payer after the contract runs out.

He won't have to switch clubs, but he'll almost definitely want to IMO. CL is all well and good, but he'll want to play for a club that has a chance of winning it, and Spurs will be the platform towards that

im worried were going to back down and Levy will get his way again. I dont care if he goes i just want to make sure the club get he is worth to US. Not them.

Nursey said Spurs first contacted us about him in February. His head will have been turned then.

I'm not buying into  all this "tapping up" people are going on about. Our players will do it as well so we can hardly get on our high horses about it.  It happens all the time on international duty, like when Xavi and Puyol put a Barca shirt on Cesc when he was at Arsenal. Of course he wants to go and play with his mates from Belgium - them being in his ear about joining them is moot. 

I've also seen people say Benteke is going to Spurs for the money. If he was moving for the money, he'd join Chelsea. Choosing Spurs shows that he values regular playing time ahead of money.

I actually think his agent has played this well for him. If there is interest from Spurs after one season, and they offer to triple his wages, why wouldn't you advise your client to leave? There's the clear risk that second season syndrome affects him and he may never get another chance like this. Cynical way of looking at it, but still. The public transfer request is certainly extremely risky, but carries great reward for both of them.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have much time for Kismet and his slimey antics. But I'd just thought I'd pose a different view.

Yeah thats pretty much as I see it. Higher salary, pushing for CL or stay at the villa on less money and fight for mid table (at best)

Benteke obviously want's to get to the top as quickly as he can and Spurs sadly are very much 'on the up'. Not to mention the exta cash for player and agent...You can't knock him at all for fancying the Spurs move when you look at their squad. He could very plausibly out do last seasons 23 goals.

What is sad is that we can't really sell a future vision to him ala the Tottenham model because Paul Lambert is heading a much more organic operation and Randy rightly wants to make the club self sustainable.

I just hope that we do play hard ball over the fee and that we draw it out slightly so that Benteke has to have the embarrassment of returning to training.

On one hand it's impressive to make such a big profit on a player giving Lambert the chance to strengthen again but on the other Benteke isn't a one season wonder. He'll be one the top scorers in the League for a long time to come imo and it's sad to lose him and so soon.

Edited by piav_k4

Screw this guy. I don't even want him to stay anymore. As long as we get top dollar for him then give him what he wants asap. Why should we try to keep a player that doesn't even want to be here when we have players like Weimann busting a gut for the shirt.

• Like 1

The papers really are jacking off over this 20 mill figure

I will be dissapointed if he goes for that price

Absolute steal

Me too.

There does seem to be an increasing amount of 'just get it done' people on VT. I wonder if they realise haste is likely to equal less money?

Absolute steal

To be fair to Paul Faulkner, who hitherto hasn't fulfilled that mythical 'football administrator' aura that some on here are so desperate for the club to hire, he has been doing a decent job.

Both Faulkner and Lambert are backed 100% by the owner, so I can only see Benteke leaving on the Villa's terms, not his own, and certainly not Tottenham's.

Absolute steal

it's just the media trying to help spurts and contribute to the pressure attempting to be put on villa to sell him quickly. I hope we don't back down
  • Like 1

Absolute steal

it's just the media trying to help spurts and contribute to the pressure attempting to be put on villa to sell him quickly. I hope we don't back down

I agree its BS

Considering we got 20 mill for downing who had less time left on his contract

Absolute steal

I agree its BS

Considering we got 20 mill for downing who had less time left on his contract

And, more importantly, was half the player. If that.

• Like 1

What an orrible example of a modern footballer, get him out and get him out now the more this drags on the more i feel that we are getting dragged through the mud, i mean the likes of that little shyte Hazard saying that Bentakey needs and deserves a big move stuff like that gets my back up..i accept we are not a big club atm but comments like that really get my back up and in all fairness

• Like 1

benteke1.jpg

What an orrible example of a modern footballer, get him out and get him out now the more this drags on the more i feel that we are getting dragged through the mud, i mean the likes of that little shyte Hazard saying that Bentakey needs and deserves a big move stuff like that gets my back up..i accept we are not a big club atm but comments like that really get my back up and in all fairness

Screw this guy. I don't even want him to stay anymore. As long as we get top dollar for him then give him what he wants asap. Why should we try to keep a player that doesn't even want to be here when we have players like Weimann busting a gut for the shirt.

:thumb: agreed.   Just get rid - I'm fed up of this whole saga now.  No-one is bigger than this club.  We should have realised what he was like when he went on strike at Genk.   He will probably do the same to Spurs too when a potential move to a bigger club comes along.  Put a sell on clause in the deal though.   See ya. Benteke.   I don't wish you well I'm afraid.

Â