Leandro Bacuna

Jordanderve

26 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I feel like that argument is a bit straw man. Bacuna put a cross into the space where Gestede's head was. It was a good bit of anticipation from Gestede, they both their job well in that moment. The cross lacked a bit of pace, but it created a decent opportunity. 

I'm not a big fan of Bacuna's by any stretch, but by the same token I can't abide taking the good things he does away from him. It's unnecessary. 

We played well in the second half. He played his part in that. I'd probably let him retain his place. 

I'm not taking it away from him. It was a very average cross that was only a half chance thanks to Gestede. It wasn't a dangerous whipped in ball. It wasn't pin point accuracy. It was just average 

And that was his main contribution. 

4 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

We haven’t got time though mate. We start off the season booing players, any player, and that is starting off on completely the wrong foot and that negative atmosphere could well ingrain itself.

In an ideal world all the players that let us down last season would be sold but for those that do remain the slate has to be wiped clean. We have a new owner, new manager, new coaching staff and by the end of this month I expect we will have seen about 8 new players come in. We as supporters have to buy into that fresh start and to do that we have to give all the players a chance regardless of what we feel about them off the back of last season. If the new manager deems them worthy of being picked we owe it to him to see what he can get out of them. We don’t see these guys train and if they are breaking their balls in training, outshining others we want to see picked, then the manager should pick them and we should trust his judgement and back them.

We have a duty as supporters to back what the new owner and manager are trying to do and at least give it a few months before jumping on anyone’s back. Let’s embrace this fresh start. A positive, vibrant and rocking Villa Park could play a huge part in seeing us mount a promotion challenge.

No one disagrees with this. But it's not going to happen. If we pick Richards and he has a poor game the fans will get on his back, likewise if lescott was given a new chance. 

Saying we should all be together is absolutely the right approach but it's not a realistic outcome. Playing these players who were so hated last year is just asking for trouble IMO, it allows that negative divide between fans and players to come back in. And all for a player that isn't very good. 

I have a feeling RDM will realise that soon in that bacuna will be replaced by better or fans will turn on him again. Either way I don't see him being a regular for the promotion push. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DCJonah said:

No one disagrees with this. But it's not going to happen.

These two sentences are literally mutually exclusive. If 'no one disagreed', then there wouldn't be a problem, because there would be no-one booing. The issue is precisely that very many people do disagree with @markavfc40's post, and with the manager as well, and prefer booing Bacuna to not booing him. The fact that people are disagreeing should tell you that there is a disagreement. 

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

These two sentences are literally mutually exclusive. If 'no one disagreed', then there wouldn't be a problem, because there would be no-one booing. The issue is precisely that very many people do disagree with @markavfc40's post, and with the manager as well, and prefer booing Bacuna to not booing him. The fact that people are disagreeing should tell you that there is a disagreement. 

Well obviously. But no one is going to come on here and say bacuna should be booed every game. That's what I mean by no one will disagree with that. 

He really is just a wing back. Kick and chase to beat the man, good crossing, average defending, contribute the odd goal etc - these are his attributes. If he stopped dicking about with delusions of grandeur and just focused on one position and putting in hard work in the mould of some of the great wing backs like Cafu, Zanetti and Roberto Carlos then he could actually be a decent player. **** if he even got to the level of Elmohamady I would be happy.

(Note I said decent, not good or amazing)

Edited by mwj

Anyone at the match today, how was he at right back?

I remember him having some really good showings at right back for us years ago, but was inconsistent. I thought he'd make that spot his own so I was glad he was finally put back there. 

Just now, Czechlad said:

Anyone at the match today, how was he at right back?

I remember him having some really good showings at right back for us years ago, but was inconsistent. I thought he'd make that spot his own so I was glad he was finally put back there. 

Some stupid fouls early on but had a good game and started to link well with Ayew. Looked steady which can't be said for Richards and Hutton so if we don't sign a right back I'd be happy to have him there.

Thought I heard some boos when his name was called, definitely a subdued reception.

I've always thought he was best at RB, although he got found out by better sides at Prem level. 

He has more quality going forward than Hutton and is a bit less rash so I'd play him there for now - at least until we sign someone else and possibly beyond if he performs well .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

More than happy to have him in at RB. Had a very good game today. 

RB is the only position he could excel at. Good to hear he had a good game. He needs to work on his concentration and the overall defensive side of the game but the positive parts of his game work best at RB than anywhere else on the pitch.

TBH if he was a new player we would be praising him to the heavens tonight; Good shout for motm!

First half he was pretty disciplined but in the second (probably because of a mixture of realising they were crap, and a bit of confidence) he became a real offensive outlet.

It was only one game (and an easy one at that) but more games like this and all will be forgiven from me!

• Like 1