Xbox One or PS4?

Genie

XBox One or PS4  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Now that we know a bit about what each console is going to offer, which are you most likely to buy?

• Microsoft Xbox One
    • Sony PS4

Personally Im going to be waiting till middle of next year, wait too see if any bugs or hardware faults are fixed etc... Then wait for proper reviews to be released and then I'll choose which one is more suited for me..... Most games are getting good released in the 360 anyway so not going to miss much

I think the long term goal is to charge for pay per view TV by user. Say you have five people around for the big fight or a new film then Kinect would be able to detect that she charge more than if you were watching it alone.

I don't think that's practical or a likely use of Kinect.

I think the long term goal is to charge for pay per view TV by user. Say you have five people around for the big fight or a new film then Kinect would be able to detect that she charge more than if you were watching it alone.

This is Microsoft we are talking about... :)

Edited by AVFCforever1991

This is Microsoft we are talking about... :)

That's laughable.

• Like 2

Patent suggests kinect could charge per person when watching a movie....

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/05/24/patent-suggest-kinect-could-charge-per-person-when-playing-a-movie/

That would just never happen. 

It will. The Kinect is already capable of identifying people (amongst other things the new one can do...) - it's not much of a leap to get it to recognise how may there are watching and then connect that to license limits.

The move in media is towards to monetising it at every turn - that is simply an extension to the idea. Microsoft already attempted to sell a more profitable (for them, and developers) future with this console at the consumers expense. That patent is them spotting another avenue and getting in early. It will happen. The gaming industry already considers every gamer that lends his mate his copy of the game a thief, you really think they and other industries are happy about getting 1 sale and letting in theory a whole family and their friends sit down to watch a movie or tv show or whatever?

It's a natural progression that digital media is headed towards. It's the kind of endgame to the path that stuff like in app purchases and free to play microtransactions are currently treading. Bleed every penny, control the product in favour of that goal of every last drop of money from it.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 1

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/05/24/patent-suggest-kinect-could-charge-per-person-when-playing-a-movie/

Just like at the Cinema, pay for each person that watches, why not?

Edited by AVFCforever1991

If it doesn't affect them, why should they care? The pre owned games and Kinect were the main problems for me. They changed their mind with the pre owned games and they allowed me to use the console without the Kinect plugged in.

For me online gameplay is 85% of my console use. Most of my mates are all going for the One and i've only just re-newed my Xbox Live. It would've cost me more to get a pS4 + Fifa 14 and a PSN+.

Must admit I do find it interesting how the XBONE voters are a lot more vocal in this thread, considering that the poll result hasn't changed much at all, despite Microsoft's changes.

It will. The Kinect is already capable of identifying people (amongst other things the new one can do...) - it's not much of a leap to get it to recognise how may there are watching and then connect that to license limits.

The move in media is towards to monetising it at every turn - that is simply an extension to the idea. Microsoft already attempted to sell a more profitable (for them, and developers) future with this console at the consumers expense. That patent is them spotting another avenue and getting in early. It will happen. The gaming industry already considers every gamer that lends his mate his copy of the game a thief, you really think they and other industries are happy about getting 1 sale and letting in theory a whole family and their friends sit down to watch a movie or tv show or whatever?

It's a natural progression that digital media is headed towards. It's the kind of endgame to the path that stuff like in app purchases and free to play microtransactions are currently treading. Bleed every penny, control the product in favour of that goal of every last drop of money from it.

Is it like the self scanning tills in M&S when it detects an extra bottle of wine?  Will you have to have people hiding behind a sofa, in a cardboard box or sitting on each other's laps?  I can't see anybody in their right mind signing up for that.  What if you're watching a film, and somebody else walks into the room for a minute, do you get charged for that?  Sounds like bollocks to me.

I was just going to make all those points Risso. What if you're watching a film and your in-laws make an unwanted appearance, will it stop the film until they've left/paid up?

It simply won't happen, especially after all that has gone on with the launch

Â