Xbox One or PS4?

Genie

XBox One or PS4  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Now that we know a bit about what each console is going to offer, which are you most likely to buy?

• Microsoft Xbox One
    • Sony PS4

(Somewhat O/T- but following on from the PS3 woes)

That sucks, man. Sounds like you have got the dodgy update on your system. Here's some info I found that might help

After the update my ps3 would turn on but wouldn't load anything on the screen, just blank screen. I normally use HDMi output, but I also stream games so I keep my composite cables plugged in as well since I have a crappy capture card. I removed the hdmi cable from the back and did a reset of the display settings, then booted the system back up using the composite cables which worked fine. However I still couldn't switch it to HDMi without it displaying nothing again, so I restarted the system in safe mode and ran had the system automatically repair broken system files. When that was done I unplugged the HDMi cable from the TV, plugged it back in, and plugged the other end back into the PS3. When I restarted it the HDMi worked, the PS3 found some broken system files and repaired them, and everything was aces from there.

From a GameFAQs thread

PlayStation Europe just posted this on twitter to reticfy the "loading into a black screen" issue that's been reported.

Plus, if you ever fancy booting your PS3 into safe mode again, that's the way to do it.

Edited by CardiffGreens

(Somewhat O/T- but following on from the PS3 woes)

That sucks, man. Sounds like you have got the dodgy update on your system. Here's some info I found that might help

After the update my ps3 would turn on but wouldn't load anything on the screen, just blank screen. I normally use HDMi output, but I also stream games so I keep my composite cables plugged in as well since I have a crappy capture card. I removed the hdmi cable from the back and did a reset of the display settings, then booted the system back up using the composite cables which worked fine. However I still couldn't switch it to HDMi without it displaying nothing again, so I restarted the system in safe mode and ran had the system automatically repair broken system files. When that was done I unplugged the HDMi cable from the TV, plugged it back in, and plugged the other end back into the PS3. When I restarted it the HDMi worked, the PS3 found some broken system files and repaired them, and everything was aces from there.

From a GameFAQs thread

PlayStation Europe just posted this on twitter to reticfy the "loading into a black screen" issue that's been reported.

Plus, if you ever fancy booting your PS3 into safe mode again, that's the way to do it.

Thanks for the link but it's not worked. The bleeps go as they should, but the "no signal" remains as if nothing's been fixed. I've tried using the HDMI and the yellow/white/red things whatever they're called. Oh well.

Phoned them up and they said they don't know why it's still not working and since I'm out of warranty I'll have to pay £110 for a new one. Yeah, that's gonna happen. Not another penny from me Sony.

Edited by kurtsimonw

Sounds like something more with your connectors than your PS3. Did you try plugging it into different inputs on your TV/other cables?

All you should have to do is hold it down so it beeps twice and it should pop up on your screen.

Sounds like something more with your connectors than your PS3. Did you try plugging it into different inputs on your TV/other cables?

All you should have to do is hold it down so it beeps twice and it should pop up on your screen.

It's definitely the PS3. I have 2 HDMI cables, both of which work on the Xbox, Virgin box and Blu-ray player in all 4 of my HDMI slots. Yet the PS3 says no signal. It was fine before the update, yet upon reset of the update finishing is when the problem started - and they're trying to bullshit me that the update has nothing to do with it.

Very disappointed in the service I got. The impression I've been left with is that they are not at all interested in helping. They're convinced it's not the updates fault and basically seem to be fine with not helping me because of that. Shocking support.

Edited by kurtsimonw

Isn't the "no signal" issue a common problem with ps3's? I have a couple of friends who had PlayStations which failed this way. I think there's a way to reset the video interface. Apologies if you already know this.

It's definitely the PS3. I have 2 HDMI cables, both of which work on the Xbox, Virgin box and Blu-ray player in all 4 of my HDMI slots. Yet the PS3 says no signal. It was fine before the update, yet upon reset of the update finishing is when the problem started - and they're trying to bullshit me that the update has nothing to do with it.

Very disappointed in the service I got. The impression I've been left with is that they are not at all interested in helping. They're convinced it's not the updates fault and basically seem to be fine with not helping me because of that. Shocking support.

If it really is a problem with the update, they've released a fix where you just download it online via USB and it should work

Isn't the "no signal" issue a common problem with ps3's? I have a couple of friends who had PlayStations which failed this way. I think there's a way to reset the video interface. Apologies if you already know this.

When I phoned them the bloke said "we've never heard of this problem" so apparently it's not very common. That or he was just being unhelpful.

If anyone is a little like me and you've always struggled using Playstation controllers and prefer Xbox ones, but you're thinking about getting a PS4 then this photo may help you make that decision.

z14169122Q.jpg

The PS4 controller is pretty fecking big now... looks good!

Thing with the PS controller is the thumb sticks. I much prefer the left thumb stick to be further up. Maybe i just need to get used to it again. I really struggled with the PS3 controller.

Nooooooo the dualshock was perfect for my little girly hands, that monster looks unwieldy :(

The Xbox controller is smaller than the Xbox 360 one afaik, so that pic isn't a very good guide

Nooooooo the dualshock was perfect for my little girly hands, that monster looks unwieldy :(

The Xbox controller is smaller than the Xbox 360 one afaik, so that pic isn't a very good guide

Really? I'm shocked at that. I think the 360 controller is almost perfection in terms of size and how it feels. I'm surprised they would change the size of it. You never really see anyone moan about them.

Edited by PieFacE

I quite liked the original Xbox controllers, although it seemed I was the only one.  Haven't used one in a while so they would probably seem big now though; I do like the current model.

I've never owned a Playstation but, as others have said, always found the analog sticks to be very uncomfortable, particularly the left one.

Â