Younès Belhanda (Montpellier)

Wes

Are we still discussing this? I read 6 days ago that we are no longer interested in Belhanda because they want €15 million for him. Plus Arsenal and Spurs are apparently interested so no way he chooses us over them. 

Are we still discussing this? I read 6 days ago that we are no longer interested in Belhanda because they want €15 million for him. Plus Arsenal and Spurs are apparently interested so no way he chooses us over them. 

might have his head screwed on like Okore and decline them and choose us for regular football

I'd so like to be wrong, but I very much doubt Gary Gardner is the answer to our AM question. So far he's shown nothing at all for the first team. Certainly not enough to suggest that he can do such an important job for us. It's been as though the step up to the PL is too much for him.

Saying that, I'd be the happiest man in the world if he turned out to be the AM star that we desperately need.

People go on about his injuries but whenever he has had a run of games he has looked nothing at all like the player he was hyped up to be.

The next Gerrard my arse, your right he will never be the answer. Another championship at best player along with Bannan and Allbrighton.

We need another Merson type player but they are few and far between. Not so sure we are going to get one

When did he have all these runs of games? He's had literally 5 starts for the first team and a bunch of substitute appearances, nearly all under McLeish. Certainly too early to say he'll be 'the answer', but equally way too soon to write him off. Think a loan to a championship team would be good for him this season, as he needs games after all his injuries.

• Like 1

I'd so like to be wrong, but I very much doubt Gary Gardner is the answer to our AM question. So far he's shown nothing at all for the first team. Certainly not enough to suggest that he can do such an important job for us. It's been as though the step up to the PL is too much for him.

Saying that, I'd be the happiest man in the world if he turned out to be the AM star that we desperately need.

People go on about his injuries but whenever he has had a run of games he has looked nothing at all like the player he was hyped up to be.

The next Gerrard my arse, your right he will never be the answer. Another championship at best player along with Bannan and Allbrighton.

We need another Merson type player but they are few and far between. Not so sure we are going to get one

When did he have all these runs of games? He's had literally 5 starts for the first team and a bunch of substitute appearances, nearly all under McLeish. Certainly too early to say he'll be 'the answer', but equally way too soon to write him off. Think a loan to a championship team would be good for him this season, as he needs games after all his injuries.

He's never had a decent run of starts, and getting a run out under Mcleish isn't going to help. Just typical negativity again from the usual crowd. Too early to tell if he isn't going to make it and lambert will no doubt give him a run to see if he is all he is cracked up to be.

Chelsea was interested in Okore and look what happened...

In January though. Not a comparable too.

Young unproven --//-- Proven, class

Anyway, I think if we go for him actually, we stand a chance, but who knows at this point.

IF we are getting him though, the deal wont happen in june, but usually at the end of transfer window imo.

Edited by Alakagom

I do. Arsenal and tottenham seem to have other priorities right now. For Tottenham keeping Bale and signing a top striker.  For Arsenal a striker and central midfield destroyer. Although both clubs maybe interested as Arsenal released Arshavin (plus Gervinho's inconsistency) so have room (and need) for another AM and Tottenham may need to replace Bale.  Also both of those clubs probably have other options as well, and in Tottenham's case they will have somewhere close to 80million to spend if Bale does leave so will probably look to a more established player and see Belhanda as a squad player if they target him!

Because of this I honestly believe that it will probably be August before Belhanda moves anywhere.  At the moment if we are interested (which seems more likely than not) we definitely have a chance of landing him!

Why do I believe we are interested, because not just the Montpellier president, but the player himself have mentioned our club, yet the only source saying otherwise is the BMail's Kendrick who only gets what the club want him to! Throw in the fact that this is the type of player we are in desperate need of then it makes sense that we would at least make an enquiry. It also seems to me though that we have other options we are looking at too, as well as the fact we probably need to at least shift Bent (and preferably Ireland too) to afford the 40k plus wages Belhanda's representatives would no doubt be demanding (as well as a 8-10m fee). Also with Holman seemingly gone there should be space. Holman being a free was probably on around 40k in wages.

• Like 2

^ I agree.

I also think that because Montpelliers chairman has come out and quoted a transfer fee and then since reduced the asking price, any club interested in him will be in a strong position to negotiate as the chairman has stated he has to sell him because of his wages.

I think there is interest from our side ( I hope so ) but I genuinely think any transfer for him will be done quite late in the window as clubs try and get a bargain

bale leaving tottenham wouldnt add up for me, dont get me wrong, im not bothered about tottenham, or bale for that matter, but wheres he going to go? theres no room at manure, man  city, liverpool, chelsea or arsenal for him, anywhere else would be backwards

as for belhanda, na his isnt happening, if it does, therell be no room this season for nzogbia or gardner for that matter

bale leaving tottenham wouldnt add up for me, dont get me wrong, im not bothered about tottenham, or bale for that matter, but wheres he going to go? theres no room at manure, man  city, liverpool, chelsea or arsenal for him, anywhere else would be backwards

as for belhanda, na his isnt happening, if it does, therell be no room this season for nzogbia or gardner for that matter

Madrid.

And Liverpool would be a step backwards.

We have almost offloaded Holman who plays in the same psitions as belhanda, and if we Sell bent then their will probably be a 40k difference in wages and 5m in transfer fee to his replacement Helenius. I reckon that would give us plenty of room financially.  Also Ireland has no future at Villa so that means we only have 3 attacking mids including a raw and unproven Tonev and an injury prone Albrighton (and they are mostly likely backups for gabby and andi).  Plus none of them, with the exception of Zoggy is a natural no 10 which is what we really need and what Belhanda is. Also the theme of this windows seems to be to increasing competition and so for me there so no way Lambert will go into the season with only one CAM who hasn't even proven himself at Villa yet in two season with us.  Not buying a no 10 in this window would be a mistake, as such a player would offer the team an entirely new dimension.

it would be better to buy players first, sell after, otherwise we could miss out on our main targets

We have brought in 4 new players, if we buy now and find ourselfs stuck with Bent, Given, Ireland, Bannan and a few others that don't fit in with Lamberts plans we could be stuck paying out big wages for bench warmers. Sell them first and then play with the money to get a few more players on resonable wages.

• Like 1

Oh gardner is more of a central midfield playmaker / Box to box player rather than a proper attacking midfielder so I reckon he is probably competing more with Delph and Bacuna.  I Think Lambert wants to be able to play with a CAM in our midfield 3, with the option to sacrifice the CAM against the top teams in the league in antiscipation of no having much of the ball. 

• Like 1

We will buy a decent AM this summer. As soon as we off load some wages and put some more money in the kitty I reckon we could spend another £30m, maybe more - lets face it we need to.

The players we have brought in are kids and I reckon PL knows he will need a couple of "experienced" heads (maybe 24/25 y.o.). I am certain the big guns are yet to arrive, for me Belhanda fits the bill. I reckon they are waiting for the dust to settle as the headline £12m will more likely be £8m.

Yes but as mentioned that was months ago. Plus we are not willing to pay what Montpellier are asking.