Younès Belhanda (Montpellier)

Wes

I do. Arsenal and tottenham seem to have other priorities right now. For Tottenham keeping Bale and signing a top striker.  For Arsenal a striker and central midfield destroyer. Although both clubs maybe interested as Arsenal released Arshavin (plus Gervinho's inconsistency) so have room (and need) for another AM and Tottenham may need to replace Bale.  Also both of those clubs probably have other options as well, and in Tottenham's case they will have somewhere close to 80million to spend if Bale does leave so will probably look to a more established player and see Belhanda as a squad player if they target him!

Because of this I honestly believe that it will probably be August before Belhanda moves anywhere.  At the moment if we are interested (which seems more likely than not) we definitely have a chance of landing him!

Why do I believe we are interested, because not just the Montpellier president, but the player himself have mentioned our club, yet the only source saying otherwise is the BMail's Kendrick who only gets what the club want him to! Throw in the fact that this is the type of player we are in desperate need of then it makes sense that we would at least make an enquiry. It also seems to me though that we have other options we are looking at too, as well as the fact we probably need to at least shift Bent (and preferably Ireland too) to afford the 40k plus wages Belhanda's representatives would no doubt be demanding (as well as a 8-10m fee). Also with Holman seemingly gone there should be space. Holman being a free was probably on around 40k in wages.

I agree with all of this, except with the obligatory "What? Holman on 40k a week? I'd be surprised if he was getting half that."-type remark.

• Like 1

You could be right (in regards to holmans wages), but generally free transfers get a generous wage as a result of no transfer fee so I think 40k is a fair estimate. After all he is an international and an important player for his team at the time of signing him.

No way we will be getting this guy. I mean I have heard of him unlike the 5 Lambert have brought in. I reckon this could be the end of our signings already.

Maybe your right, but if he was after a higher profile target it is unlikely that he would be able to get it done be any major moves in the transfer market have happened as is the case at the moment. Generally in order to make a significant signing you have to wait for the big clubs to make their business clear first. Thats just the way the transfer market works. Being as Belhanda is probably on the radar of at least 5 other clubs its not surprising not move has been confirmed.  Usually when links are as strong as this Villa release a statement denying it if there is no interest, but that hasn't happenned. This doesn't mean anything will happen, but for me it confirms that there is an interest.

No way we will be getting this guy. I mean I have heard of him unlike the 5 Lambert have brought in. I reckon this could be the end of our signings already.

Ban this person for making such absurd allegations!

We want more, we want more!

You're a proper fun factory!

It will not be the end of our signings. If we ship players out we shall get players in. Its as simple as that. 

• Like 1

If so I could live with it. Of course if Shay goes then we need a keeper and boy we sure could use a creative attacking mid, but beyond that we have pretty decent cover across the squad particularly if Gardner returns fully fit.

Weve only just started. There will be further incomings, but it will be balanced on how much we receive and free up in wages. Lamberts not a fool, he sees what we see.

gave up on us going for someone this good and well-known a couple of weeks back. i am happy to believe that we were genuinely interested in this player, but didn't carry through with it for whatever reason. he's a cracking player but will probably end up at some top-half spanish/italian club in august. was fun whilst it lasted

gave up on us going for someone this good and well-known a couple of weeks back. i am happy to believe that we were genuinely interested in this player, but didn't carry through with it for whatever reason. he's a cracking player but will probably end up at some top-half spanish/italian club in august. was fun whilst it lasted

I don't know why you've given up. Nothing's changed yet. He hasn't signed for anyone else afaik.

Not saying we'll be chasing this guy specifically, but he's probably one of our potential targets, and when we've shifted Bent and/or Ireland (or, heaven forbid, Benteke), I'm sure things will change pretty quickly.

Edited by CrackpotForeigner

I don't know why you've given up. Nothing's changed yet. He hasn't signed for anyone else afaik.

Not saying we'll be chasing this guy specifically, but he's probably one of our potential targets, and when we've shifted Bent and/or Ireland (or, heaven forbid, Benteke), I'm sure things will change pretty quickly.

Sounds Good.

if we've heard of the player and our interest is widely reported before anything concrete happens, then it tends to fizzle out and this is what is currently happening. i cannot forsee any player being signed for 10+mil this transfer window, especially one with less than a year on their contract. it isn't a lambert signing, it isn't a lerner signing and it isn't a villa signing

if we've heard of the player and our interest is widely reported before anything concrete happens, then it tends to fizzle out and this is what is currently happening. i cannot forsee any player being signed for 10+mil this transfer window, especially one with less than a year on their contract. it isn't a lambert signing, it isn't a lerner signing and it isn't a villa signing

We've spent peanuts so far. We expect to move on at least one of our 10+million (Villa and Lerner!) signings. When that's happened I'll bet that we spend good money on an AM.

It's simply a case of having to move out the expensive players we don't want before we buy an expensive player we do want. I don't think you can really say that it's currently fizzling out. I think what's actually happening is that, if anything, our selling of Bent or Ireland is fizzling out. Temporarily.

We've spent peanuts so far. We expect to move on at least one of our 10+million (Villa and Lerner!) signings. When that's happened I'll bet that we spend good money on an AM.

It's simply a case of having to move out the expensive players we don't want before we buy an expensive player we do want. I don't think you can really say that it's currently fizzling out. I think what's actually happening is that, if anything, our selling of Bent or Ireland is fizzling out. Temporarily.

i don't think we're currently in negotiations for Bent or Ireland, but whether they stay or not is rather irrelevant for this transfer i believe. Lerner has never sanctioned a +10mil move for a foreign player and wouldn't be in the business of doing it for a player with 1 year left on their contract.

Are you at all ITK because talking about making a move on AT LEAST ONE of our big signings suggests you are deluded or genuinely believe/know that this will happen

What makes you say it isnt a lambert signing? belhanda is young, hungry, and has champions league experience. Out of the clubs he has manged id say Villa has the biggest budget (spending money and wages), and also the most valuable players. This could easily be a factor towards what kind of player he signs when regarding expense, age, ability, status (well known or not) etc. lets not forget that lerner and oniell signed darren bent for twice the money montpellier are asking for belhanda. I know Lambert said not to expect signings over 10 million but if that money has come from players that have been sold then technically you havent spent anything, youve just fund raised so to speak. On the other hand the clubs above us (especily arsenal and spurs who have already been linked) have a lot more spending power and are obviously a threat to this signing, and will most likely draw lot more interest from players than us. Also, lambert is starting from scratch and sticking to the philosophy of bringing in using young players with room to grow and develop that he has scouted from under the radar - we all know he is a fan of dortmund who adopted this approach in their rise from relegation. in conclusion, regardless as to whether belhanda is signed or not i think lambert will spend most on a CAM which is badly needed. Unfortunately the media, clubs and agents have gone quiet and Lambert seems determined to keep everything secret. To be honest i dont think were going to get anything but rumours and speculation until we offload the big earners. Maybe around august things will become clear. Lambert will surely tell us when the last signing has been made.

What makes you say it isnt a lambert signing? belhanda is young, hungry, and has champions league experience. Out of the clubs he has manged id say Villa has the biggest budget (spending money and wages), and also the most valuable players. This could easily be a factor towards what kind of player he signs when regarding expense, age, ability, status (well known or not) etc. lets not forget that lerner and oniell signed darren bent for twice the money montpellier are asking for belhanda. I know Lambert said not to expect signings over 10 million but if that money has come from players that have been sold then technically you havent spent anything, youve just fund raised so to speak. On the other hand the clubs above us (especily arsenal and spurs who have already been linked) have a lot more spending power and are obviously a threat to this signing, and will most likely draw lot more interest from players than us. Also, lambert is starting from scratch and sticking to the philosophy of bringing in using young players with room to grow and develop that he has scouted from under the radar - we all know he is a fan of dortmund who adopted this approach in their rise from relegation. in conclusion, regardless as to whether belhanda is signed or not i think lambert will spend most on a CAM which is badly needed. Unfortunately the media, clubs and agents have gone quiet and Lambert seems determined to keep everything secret. To be honest i dont think were going to get anything but rumours and speculation until we offload the big earners. Maybe around august things will become clear. Lambert will surely tell us when the last signing has been made.

in bold that is why. He is also quoted as saying he felt uncomfortable spending as much as 7mil on Benteke so to expect him to easily go into double-figures on a player is not realistic

Also, Houllier signed Bent, and whether the funds for a signing have been raised or given is irrelevant, a 10mil signing is a 10mil signing. "bought him for 10mil but sold Bent and Ireland so technically it was free" makes no sense

Edited by skarroki

in bold that is why. He is also quoted as saying he felt uncomfortable spending as much as 7mil on Benteke so to expect him to easily go into double-figures on a player is not realistic

Also, Houllier signed Bent, and whether the funds for a signing have been raised or given is irrelevant, a 10mil signing is a 10mil signing. "bought him for 10mil but sold Bent and Ireland so technically it was free" makes no sense

Ah yes sorry, was just thinking about oniell at the time. No i agree with you, and now is definitely the time to be realistic. And what i meant by that was along the lines of; spending money you dont have - or havent made. I was trying to say its almost like a trade. Youre the same as where you started if you sell a player and buy another... making sense?

Ah yes sorry, was just thinking about oniell at the time. No i agree with you, and now is definitely the time to be realistic. And what i meant by that was along the lines of; spending money you dont have - or havent made. I was trying to say its almost like a trade. Youre the same as where you started if you sell a player and buy another... making sense?

Also i was just giving perspective, my personal opinion is that lambert wont sign anyone over 10 mil full stop, but will spend most on a CAM

Are you at all ITK because talking about making a move on AT LEAST ONE of our big signings suggests you are deluded or genuinely believe/know that this will happen

No I'm not ITK, but it's no secret that Darren Bent and Stephen Ireland are up for sale. Chances are nobody will want to take Ireland off our hands, but DB is a goal machine who happens to be a square peg in a round hole. He will be sold, no question at all in my mind.

• Like 1

I doubt Belhanda will cost £10m anyway, probably closer to £8m if he only has a year left on his contract.  Montpellier will have to make a decision at some stage during the window of whether to take what's on offer or lose him for free next season.  If we're interested then the ball is in our court, unless there is some sort of auction going to take place, but it seems a bit quiet for that.

• Like 2