Younès Belhanda (Montpellier)

Wes

What did Paul actually say about big money signings?

What is the actual evidence that Villa will sign this player? Or for that matter, Villa are interested?

Because both his club and the player have been quoted saying so. Doesn't mean I think this will happen, i'm dubious, but i'm convinced we're in for him.

What's the evidence we aren't in for him? A piece from the Express & Star with no quotes?

That's not evidence, that's you saying there are quotes out there!

If you do get them, I think you'll find he said Villa was a great club. Nothing about Villa bidding.

Chairman said we made an offer, along with approx. 5 other clubs. And since then nothing has happened...?

Kendrick reckons Villa aren't in for him now, so that would suggest we can't rely on the chairmans quotes.

So right now, there's no great evidence to suggest Villa want him. Perhaps they enquired and the chairman got a rush of blood to the head.

Why would Kendrick reckoning were not in for him mean we can't trust the Montpellier Chairmans quotes?

Also if the chairman was trying to start a bidding war, why chose Villa? It is generally regarded in the media we are cash strapped (which I don't believe), surely he would choose Man City, or Tottenham or Arsenal? (not particularly directed at you, just a general comment as this seems to be the consensus on here) 

What did Paul actually say about big money signings?

What is the actual evidence that Villa will sign this player? Or for that matter, Villa are interested?

Because both his club and the player have been quoted saying so. Doesn't mean I think this will happen, i'm dubious, but i'm convinced we're in for him.

What's the evidence we aren't in for him? A piece from the Express & Star with no quotes?

That's not evidence, that's you saying there are quotes out there!

If you do get them, I think you'll find he said Villa was a great club. Nothing about Villa bidding.

Chairman said we made an offer, along with approx. 5 other clubs. And since then nothing has happened...?

Kendrick reckons Villa aren't in for him now, so that would suggest we can't rely on the chairmans quotes.

So right now, there's no great evidence to suggest Villa want him. Perhaps they enquired and the chairman got a rush of blood to the head.

Why would Kendrick reckoning were not in for him mean we can't trust the Montpellier Chairmans quotes?

Also if the chairman was trying to start a bidding war, why chose Villa? It is generally regarded in the media we are cash strapped (which I don't believe), surely he would choose Man City, or Tottenham or Arsenal? (not particularly directed at you, just a general comment as this seems to be the consensus on here)

I'm guessing he mentioned us because we did give him a call but when he told us the price we quickly moved to other targets.

• Like 1

I'm guessing he mentioned us because we did give him a call but when he told us the price we quickly moved to other targets.

But the chairman said it was a concrete offer.

"Asked if the offers were concrete, he replied: "Yes. From AC Milan, Inter Milan, Atletico Madrid, Galatasaray and Aston Villa.""

That's from the story that was on the Sky Sports News website, but as I said before, I'm dubious whether we'll get him as I think he wouldn't choose to come to us if he had other options, but I don't see why people are so ready to believe that this is link is BS.

My current take on it: Montpellier are trying to sell him. All 5 clubs the chairman mentioned put in bids, but the player doesn't want to move to any of them. Maybe he's waiting for Arsenal to come along, idk, we all know how well their last Moroccan worked out though. Price has now been lowered in order to attract more suitors.

Take 2: Montpellier are trying to sell him. We enquired, but screwed off when we heard the asking price. Player really wants to come here and won't go to any of the other suitors, so the chairman is forced to lower the asking price so that we'll be willing to sign him. Villa's management released the rumours about us having "never been in for him" in order to cover their arses just in case the gamble didn't pay off.

I hope it's the second one.

Edited by legov

It's obvious the Chairman is trying to generate some competition. I'm sure the clubs he mentioned have contacted Montpellier enquiring about the player, maybe one or two offers went in. He's of course gonna take liberties with the exact truth and say 5 clubs have bid. He wants the best deal for his club. 

But the chairman said it was a concrete offer.

"Asked if the offers were concrete, he replied: "Yes. From AC Milan, Inter Milan, Atletico Madrid, Galatasaray and Aston Villa.""

That's from the story that was on the Sky Sports News website, but as I said before, I'm dubious whether we'll get him as I think he wouldn't choose to come to us if he had other options, but I don't see why people are so ready to believe that this is link is BS.

He may well be stretching the truth to further his own clubs interests?

Not wanting to do my beloved club a disservice but do you not think its odd that our name is mentioned alongside 4 of the bigger clubs in Europe ?

If he was trying to blag it, would he not use Spurs or Arsenal etc as they have similar profiles to the other clubs he talks about

Not wanting to do my beloved club a disservice but do you not think its odd that our name is mentioned alongside 4 of the bigger clubs in Europe ?

If he was trying to blag it, would he not use Spurs or Arsenal etc as they have similar profiles to the other clubs he talks about

Like I said, I recon he used our name because we did actually give him a call but I'd say we were turned off by his price and his attempts to start a bidding war.

There could be any number of situations, and only a handful of people at either club know the truth, and it appears they're releasing selective information to improve their position.

for example, we could have offered €8m, and their chairman is trying to drive up the price or,

we could have offer Belhanda £30k p/w and he wants more, hence trying to drum up a bidding war.

Both offers may still be on the table, and it's just a waiting game to see how blinks first. Or it all could be complete BS.

i think we're in a great position to be in terms of negotiating this one.... we've already got three (or four) signings under our belts in a very short time and for a very small amount of money.... if the price is right for this one, then we'll consider it - if not, PL and RL are already smelling of roses and none of the fans are going to be outraged...

if he really wants to come to the PL, we may yet see belhanda in claret and blue next season, but i suspect that villa are in the strongest position that we have been in the transfer market for a few seasons now... which in itself is phenomenal work by the club bearing in mind the facts of where we actually ended the season last year...

I think we are still in for him but will not go above 8m and 50k a week would be out of our new pay structure.

If PL doesn't want him he would of publicly said, using our club as an excuse to raise some competition for a player is wrong and our club would of put a stop to that.

He's probably worth 50k a week, but whether the club can pay that is another matter

I'd imagine he's on little more than £15k-20k at Montpellier. Even if we were to double his wages to £30k-40k, that's a wage we could afford and one that he should be happy with.

If he isn't, and appears to be after big bucks, them I'm certain Lambert will say no.

(That's IF we're in for him at all, obviously!)

I think we are still in for him but will not go above 8m and 50k a week would be out of our new pay structure.

You could be right 'Kenye' but there might be room to pay the right player higher wages with several players having already left the club?

Edited by Morpheus