Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

I think Lambert is trying to add goals from midfield. Every team with ambitions of pushing for Europe places needs the midfield to chip in and take pressure off the forwards.

I think its very probable he will play him as one of the wide forwards.

He definitely looks like he could be a replacement for CNZ, but hopefully more direct....willing and able to have a crack from distance, instead of trying to take on one defender too many every time.

Is he a selfish kind of player?

I too trust in Lambert to do is own thing in the transfer market.

I'm not sure how much you can read in to a manager playing a specific way in his first season, when he can only select players from a limited squad. He has to play to suit the players we had.

It will take a few season and a bit of metamorphose to see what his true intentions are.

His association with the Dortmund thing, is a kinda reassurance that we are on the right track.

If true then no more sell to buy unless someone else is out the door to pay for it?

Isn't that what sell to buy is?

Yes mate but i'm intrigued as to whether there is an existing transfer budget without having to sell any of our better players such as Benteke or Bent or indeed both?

If true then no more sell to buy unless someone else is out the door to pay for it?

With Dunne, Lichaj and Petrov off the players wages (so far) maybe RL has allowed some spending?

Also don't think the amount of players leaving is over (Bent, Bannan, Ireland, Given and possibly Holman and N'Zogbia) and surely their transfers out will be being progressed already, hence the ability to bring players in.

It's still very early doors in the transfer window - a lot of players are on their hols and some playing stupid International friendlies!!!

The difficulty is though we're not getting any fees for those players and with the exception of Bent will we get much back in for those other players you mention if anyone will take them.

So are we reliant on sales to fund replacements or will Randy give Lambert a war chest to fund the purchase of more players while the likes of Given, Bannan, Holman, N'Zogbia and Ireland are still at the club?

Who did we sell in January to fund the move for Sylla?

Yes good point but we didn't spend a lot on him if reports are correct?

I've stated it many times so I won't go into details over and over but:

Lambert said he paid £1m for Westwood, and that Lowton and Sylla were both cheaper than him. The media reported fees are false.

Maybe we need a stickied fee thread? Not media reported fees but the ones actually coming from the club.

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 2

Lambert said he paid £1m for Westwood, and that Lowton and Sylla were both cheaper than him. The media reported fees are false.

Maybe we need a stickied fee thread? Not media reported fees but the ones actually coming from the club.

that would be ace, if they can all be backed up with some solid references it would save a LOT of idle speculation and people bickering over what they reckon.

same woudl be good for wages but i imagine that sort of info is near impossible to get.

on the subject of tonev, i think IF he signs PL is looking to plug the hole he has tried zog, KEA, sylla, ireland etc. in, and not one of the 3 forwards. essentially that'll make it 4 forwards. awesome. bring it on.

That report quoted Lambert as you say. However the bulk of the reporting suggested lowton was around £3m - it could be that Lambert was misquoted, or maybe he was being crafty and saying what we have paid so far (as most transfers aren't paid in full up front) 

I would be staggered if we got Lowton for under £1m - I think somewhere between £2-3m is more realistic.

Isn't that what sell to buy is?

Yes mate but i'm intrigued as to whether there is an existing transfer budget without having to sell any of our better players such as Benteke or Bent or indeed both?

With Dunne, Lichaj and Petrov off the players wages (so far) maybe RL has allowed some spending?

Also don't think the amount of players leaving is over (Bent, Bannan, Ireland, Given and possibly Holman and N'Zogbia) and surely their transfers out will be being progressed already, hence the ability to bring players in.

It's still very early doors in the transfer window - a lot of players are on their hols and some playing stupid International friendlies!!!

The difficulty is though we're not getting any fees for those players and with the exception of Bent will we get much back in for those other players you mention if anyone will take them.

So are we reliant on sales to fund replacements or will Randy give Lambert a war chest to fund the purchase of more players while the likes of Given, Bannan, Holman, N'Zogbia and Ireland are still at the club?

Who did we sell in January to fund the move for Sylla?

Yes good point but we didn't spend a lot on him if reports are correct?

The whole sell to buy thing has always been an inaccurate assumption, it wasn't a case of needing to sell to buy but a case of needing to free up wages.

That is why we stalled on signing Vlaar because we needed to get Collins (or someone else) off the wage bill before we did so. As soon as Collins went the Vlaar deal went through.

In January there wasn't a transfer budget as such despite Lambert wanting to add to the squad, in the end Lerner made a very small amount available which enabled us to land Sylla for far less than the media reported. I think it was reported in the region of £2m but in reality was closer to the £800k figure. But still we needed to clear some wages off the wage bill before doing this deal.

We didn't sell anyone in January but we did confirm the permanent departure of Warnock which reduced the wage bill while Hutton was sent out on loan again. So no transfer money came in but it was freed up.

In terms of the budget this summer, I believe there is a budget to spend. Not much there is money available as there was last summer and that budget doesn't depend on player sales. If we do sell people that budget will be increased but it will also be affected if we have to pay people off.

The wage bill though still needs to be reduced from what it was this season, so that will be a factor in terms of those coming in and in terms of decisions on those currently at the club.

That report quoted Lambert as you say. However the bulk of the reporting suggested lowton was around £3m - it could be that Lambert was misquoted, or maybe he was being crafty and saying what we have paid so far (as most transfers aren't paid in full up front) 

I would be staggered if we got Lowton for under £1m - I think somewhere between £2-3m is more realistic.

I had it on good authority at the time and again before Lambert's comment it was around £900k.

To me it matters not whether we can't sign players because we need to raise cash by selling a player first, or we need to sell a player to free up wages - the end result is pretty much the same - as is the cause (not enough money in the pot).

It seems unlikely that Lambert would have a substantial budget for player fee's - but then next to nothing when it comes to the wage bill - Given that ultimately the money is coming from the same place. Its a fair bet that if Lambert hasn't got money for wages, then he ain't sitting on a goldmine for fee's either.

If Lowton was only £900k - why was it widely reported as £3m ? - Likewiswise westwood £2.2m  - indeed why would sheffield Utd release such a player for that fee ?  

To me it matters not whether we can't sign players because we need to raise cash by selling a player first, or we need to sell a player to free up wages - the end result is pretty much the same - as is the cause (not enough money in the pot).

It seems unlikely that Lambert would have a substantial budget for player fee's - but then next to nothing when it comes to the wage bill - Given that ultimately the money is coming from the same place. Its a fair bet that if Lambert hasn't got money for wages, then he ain't sitting on a goldmine for fee's either.

If Lowton was only £900k - why was it widely reported as £3m ? - Likewiswise westwood £2.2m  - indeed why would sheffield Utd release such a player for that fee ?  

You know this for a fact?  :detect:

You know this for a fact?  :detect:

Not quite sure what you mean ? - as it starts 'To Me' ie IMO.

It responds to a previous post on 'Sell to buy'  - But IMO - if you have big bucks to spend on fee's - you can generally back it up with wages.

Again IMO - Lambert will be in the market mostly for players up to about £4m - Probably paying a max wage of £30k. I could be totally wrong but that where I feel we will do the trading.

Aye sorry - I hadn't spotted the quotes from Lambert. I saw BBC and thought "real!"

A thread would definitely sort out confusion, but where can we find the information? Lambert quotes? 

Do we need a work permit for this lad? Will that be an issue?

European Union - no work permit needed. 

I think?

Edited by KjParton

Fees aren't much of an issue.   The type of players that we can get on the wages that Lerner/Lambert want to pay will never go for huge fees because they don't have the track record to demand them.  Replacing underperforming high earners with low earners with potential is the name of the game.   Not quite sell to buy, because it doesn't matter how they leave (sell, contract expires, allowed to go for free).

Â