Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

Hate to say it, but it calls Petrov's scouting abilities into question. He should've known the kid was a lightweight and not ready to make the step up to the English top flight. Unless he was just trying to help a fellow countryman get paid...

I think he has pace, touch, power. What he lacks is decision making, which can be coached.

I was hoping it was a problem with the coaches that left as not many seemed to be getting much coaching. Still hopeful for him, but unless his decision making (and restraint, and AIM) improve, he's lost. Can Roy or someone else coach him effectively?

Not yet they haven't and that becomes his fault. You have to be coachable.

• Like 1

Hate to say it, but it calls Petrov's scouting abilities into question. He should've known the kid was a lightweight and not ready to make the step up to the English top flight. Unless he was just trying to help a fellow countryman get paid...

He was probably asked who was young, had potential and cheap and went with tonev. Easy enough to see why too, given his two footedness and goal scoring record over there.

Not sure he really qualifies as a major flop though given that he cost sod all

to be fair to Tonev.. He has pace.. he normally has a shot.. (doesn't matter what division you score in.. if you can shoot like that.. you can shoot)..

To me he just looked like he was trying way too hard to impress and his shoot on sight policy isn't usually in his game plan. He lost confidence and just plain sucked.

I was hoping a good off season would help him but he just doesn't seem to have the mental edge to cut it in the premier league. His decisions are poor and that just comes down to panic and lacking awareness.

A slower league he would probably excel in.

• Like 1

to be fair to Tonev.. He has pace.. he normally has a shot.. (doesn't matter what division you score in.. if you can shoot like that.. you can shoot)..

To me he just looked like he was trying way too hard to impress and his shoot on sight policy isn't usually in his game plan. He lost confidence and just plain sucked.

I was hoping a good off season would help him but he just doesn't seem to have the mental edge to cut it in the premier league. His decisions are poor and that just comes down to panic and lacking awareness.

A slower league he would probably excel in.

I agree that it's mentally that Tonev is failing. He has a good first touch, good at dribbling, two footed (he even takes set pieces with both feet) and has seemingly scored some absolute scorchers before he joined. Despite all that though, he seems to be a terrible decision maker. Whether it's self inflicted pressure to impress or a loss of confidence is difficult to tell but he needs to work with a psychologist IMO.

• Like 1

Never mind a slower league, he might do alright in a premier league team that didn't stand around like statues making closing him down simple

That Premier League team would need to have players running in the stands though, and I'm not sure that's allowed.

He just doesn't look to have any football intelligence and he doesn't have the physical abilities to make up for that.

He's pretty quick but he's not a great dribbler and his shooting is consistently poor.

The only times he's looked half decent is when he plays wide left, hugs the touchline, runs to the baseline and puts a cross in.

I suppose signing players and getting it right every single time happens at all clubs other than Villa.

Can you name another club who have recently bought four players (eg Sylla, Tonev, Luna and Helenius) then moved them all on a year later?

Interesting use of 'another club' when Villa haven't done it.

Sylla was bought more than a year ago, Tonev hasn't been sold and Helenius/Luna are inexperienced young players who won't get a look-in going on loan for a season.

I don't think that anything that's happened on the footballing side this transfer window has been bad, or embarrassing or unjustified. Especially when coupled with the restrictions and position of the club at the moment.

If Tonev is loaned, hopefully he'll gain more experience and learn not to shoot constantly from impossible angles with poor technique. If he is sold, sensible option, cheap young signing that didn't work out, everyone moves on

• 2 weeks later...
Â