Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

I'm guessing around £7-8m for Kone

Can't see us paying £7-8m for Kone, 29 and going to be 30 in November.

Will Hughes would be a good signing, got great potential..

Also should have a look at Bridcutt (Brighton) and Luke Murphy from Crewe

Like Wes said, Kjaer would also be a good choice for CB, was saying we should have signed him in the summer when he wanted out at Wolfsburg..

Edited by AVFCforever1991

I think there will be a similar budget to last season which was aprox £20 million net. What Lambert got with that £20 million is now a £10 million right back, a midfielder who's on par with Joe Allen's first premier league season who went for £15 million a decent centre half and a striker I wouldn't sell for less than £30 million. Not forgetting he resigned Guzan that's and Sylla looks decent towards the end of the season that's not a bad strike rate. I still think KEA and Bennett could come good also. Only Holman looks totally average and McLeish signed him.

So a couple of £7-8 million signings and a few £2-3 million signings by the looks. Totally going forward with the Borussia Dortmund model.

I think you're exactly right with the values of players we're going to go for.

• A good centre back can be had for £5m. I like Kjaer (Wolfsburg), de Vrij (Feyenoord), Ecule (Lorient), Okore (Nordsjaelland)
  • There's some left backs out there who could compete with Bennett for £2m. - We're absolutely not going to spend a lot of money in this position. N'Sakala from Troyes who just got relegated from Ligue 1 I think could be good.
  • An attacking midfielder I think will be our biggest outlay and most important signing. Like I've said before I really really like Van Ginkel (Vitesse) if Ajax don't take him. Will Hughes (Derby) I personally think is a better prospect than the often talked about Zaha but he'll cost probably too much than we're willing to pay. Praet (Anderlecht) is a gifted, nimble passer. And one probably not on anyone's radar,
    has 6 goals and 12 assists in his first season in Austria and has been playing first team football for 3 years - he's only 20.
  • A versatile winger/striker is what I feel is our last need. Someone to spell Gabby and Weimann if they're not in form and what not. Thievy Bifouma (Las Palmas), Nacer Chadli (Twente) and MArius Alexe (dinamo bucharest) are all guys I see moving this summer.

Do you happen to have a 12ft satellite dish on your roof? How many sports channels do you have?

Thanks for this - would imagine these are the types of names Lambert's looking at. (As in I've never heard of even one of them, except Kjaer)

I remember watching Clark in his first game, which I believe was a 2-0 win over Fulham at home. He did everything simple. He left the passing responsibility to the more experienced players, he held his position, he took instruction from the senior defenders and put in a good, though not outstanding, performance.

It's only since he's become one of the senior members of the team that he's really started making mistake after mistake.

EDIT: This was in response to hippo's post on last page.

I think with a better, more settled team around him, he can still be a useful asset. Even if he's kept as injury cover.

Edited by Rob182

I think Lambert will identify a big vocal experienced centre half and captain in his early 20's as priority number 1 - he will spend a big chunk of the available cash on this.

Similar to how he identified a need for the Benteke type forward last season and kept his cash for him until the last day.

Also think this could allow Baker to compete with Bennett at LB where he gives us a lot more solidity.

Edited by El-Reacho

I'm gonna throw a name out there now. A player that I've seen play once, but that time he made a really good impression on me: Luke Shaw (I think that's his name) from southampton. He looked like a very talented lb and very fast. Now I guess there are two alternatives about him: Either he's not that good but just had a good game against us, or he's very good and will be signed by one of the top teams like arsenal and that will be for a lot of money. And then of course southampton will be very reluctant to sell one of their promising players to what they probably consider one of their main rivals. But what do you who's seen a lot more of him think?

I'm gonna throw a name out there now. A player that I've seen play once, but that time he made a really good impression on me: Luke Shaw (I think that's his name) from southampton. He looked like a very talented lb and very fast. Now I guess there are two alternatives about him: Either he's not that good but just had a good game against us, or he's very good and will be signed by one of the top teams like arsenal and that will be for a lot of money. And then of course southampton will be very reluctant to sell one of their promising players to what they probably consider one of their main rivals. But what do you who's seen a lot more of him think?

You're right that he is good. His next move will be to a Champions League club. If we can get into the Champions League next season we  might be in with a shout.

Think it would be like Southampton bidding for Weimann or Grealish - they'd tell us where to go. They're in better financial shape than we are. They're wrapping him in cotton wool until they can cash in big time to City or Utd.

Luke Shaw is a very good player already and is only 17. Can see him going to Chelsea or Man U as Cole or Evra's replacements in a year or 2, he's that good

Edited by Biskitt

Yeah Luke Shaw looks one hell of a player, got such a strong build for a 17 year old as well! he will stay with them for a few seasons i reckon then get a huge move, if he was a CF rather than a LB he would be getting Rooney type attention (when he burst on the scene) in my opinion. 

Luke Shaw is a future England left back. I don't see him moving anytime soon but when he does it'll be for big money. I can see Baines going to United and then Shaw taking over from him in a couple of years. It would be silly for him to move from Southampton currently as he's making rapid progress there.

And you can remove the centre back de Vrij from Feyernoord from my list. He's just signed a one year contract extention at Feyenoord.

By the way the kid Arsenal are signing from Auxerre in Ligue 2, the striker Yaya Sanogo, is one heck of a player. He's had some long layoffs with injury so there's a bit of risk there but Arsenal can afford to try such risks. There is as much talent in Ligue 2 as there is in the Championship - the difference is the French kids are likely to be about 3 or 4 times cheaper.

Edited by Wes

I remember watching Clark in his first game, which I believe was a 2-0 win over Fulham at home. He did everything simple. He left the passing responsibility to the more experienced players, he held his position, he took instruction from the senior defenders and put in a good, though not outstanding, performance.

It's only since he's become one of the senior members of the team that he's really started making mistake after mistake.

EDIT: This was in response to hippo's post on last page.

I think with a better, more settled team around him, he can still be a useful asset. Even if he's kept as injury cover.

I kind of agree. His first few games I was impressed with how calm he was and also heard reports of very big clubs being interested in him. However he hasn't built on that, and I now I just can't see what he brings to the party + the high profile costly clangers have crept into his game. He's OK as Injury cover, but other than that, No thanks

With the attacking fullbacks Lambert like to use the centre backs have to have a strong partnership and a DM breaking up play infront of them.

Even with a better left back they will still be attack-minded and worse defensively than going forward. Its just what Lambert wants. If he finds another Lowton then hes a **** hero.

With that in mind. I dont think any mixture of Vlaar, Clark and Baker have looked like building a solid partnership. Although I agree it would be a shame to drop both Baker and Clark.

Maybe a new DM will help out. As much as I love Westy hes not really the brute we need infront of the cbs