Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

i think we need to get this idea that "lambert always brings in unknown foreign talent" out of our heads. Benteke might not have been known to a lot of forumers but he had just scored for the belgian full team against holland, and had an impressive record in Belgium. Vlaar and El Ahmadi weren't gems they were seasoned pro's, and Sylla was the only real surprise to come out of his transfers, he wasn't a prolific foreign buyer for norwich, he used much the same technique there, looking at the "best of the rest" as it were, in lower divisions. I think if we want to aim higher we should at least be looking at trying to bring in Ince, think Cresswell could do a good job too. Don't know if anyone has heard of a guy called Matt Lecointe but he's a great prospect from Plymouth, rumours were the top dogs were looking at him a year or 2 ago, he's continued to progess

So you don't rate Lowton or Westwood? I think they've been very good, especially in the end. And both are full of potential. Having said that I wouldn't mind a little more experience in the squad. A leader or two. But there are few available in the PL.

Yeah i rate them all right.

Bennet, Bowery, Stewens... not so much

The biggest reason that i didn't have Lambert near the top of my list of candidates for the managerial job at Villa was where he came from and where he'd worked.

Managers tend to like working with and signing players from the places they've been and are from, in Lamberts case scotland and the lower leagues in england. 

I don't think thats an approach that will lead to any kind of success other than avoiding relegation, but that's just my opinion as i don't like the type of football played in those leagues. But there are no right or wrong approaches. For all we know he might be the next Sir Alex...

So you don't rate Lowton or Westwood? I think they've been very good, especially in the end. And both are full of potential. Having said that I wouldn't mind a little more experience in the squad. A leader or two. But there are few available in the PL.

Yeah i rate them all right.

Bennet, Bowery, Stewens... not so much

The biggest reason that i didn't have Lambert near the top of my list of candidates for the managerial job at Villa was where he came from and where he'd worked.

Managers tend to like working with and signing players from the places they've been and are from, in Lamberts case scotland and the lower leagues in england. 

I don't think thats an approach that will lead to any kind of success other than avoiding relegation, but that's just my opinion as i don't like the type of football played in those leagues. But there are no right or wrong approaches. For all we know he might be the next Sir Alex...

Don't forget his time in Germany as a player though.  When at Norwich and Colchester he had very little chance of bringing players in from Europe.  Sylla is the interesting signing, he was just so obscure that it suggests that Lambert has some really in-depth knowledge of players from Europe, either that or Henke managed to some decent work in the short time he was here. I'm looking forward to seeing who comes in, that Dwight Gayle looks an interesting player and he's the strongest link so far (though links tend to be bollocks with us as we are so tight with the media).

We need quality depth, especially on attacking front as Weimann has been running on empty tank for last 3-4 games but we don't have anyone to give him rest since N'Zogbia isn't that kind of hard-working player and Holman seems to have lost his plot after promising first 3-4 months where he was very good at 'dirty work'.

As many have said, we need LB, RB if we get rid of Lichaj, central defender, midfielder, attacking mid and probably striker since Bent is leaving.

Some completely random suggestions on "who the f**k?" players I boldly predict we may or may not possibly be looking at any given time in the coming months; Jeffrey Monakana, James Baxendale, Joe Mason.

My selection criteria is a highly advanced system of closing my eyes and scrolling through a list of names until I decide to stop my mouse.  You heard it here first (or didn't).

• Like 2

Do people think we're going to have to wait until the likes of Bent and Ireland have gone before bringing players in, or will Dunne, Petrov and Makoun leaving straight away free up enough room for Lambert to bring the players he wants?  That's the only thing that worries me with having so many players we are desperate to get rid of.

We need quality depth, especially on attacking front as Weimann has been running on empty tank for last 3-4 games but we don't have anyone to give him rest since N'Zogbia isn't that kind of hard-working player and Holman seems to have lost his plot after promising first 3-4 months where he was very good at 'dirty work'.

As many have said, we need LB, RB if we get rid of Lichaj, central defender, midfielder, attacking mid and probably striker since Bent is leaving.

Yeah agree about Weiman - If only we had a 1 goal in every 2 games striker, sitting on the Bench.

Yeah agree about Weiman - If only we had a 1 goal in every 2 games striker, sitting on the Bench.

Bent is a very good poacher but do you think he would work half as much in the wing and track back as he does? Lambert probably would've rested Weimann and played Dawkins but it would've been too big gamble when we were in danger of relegation.

Bent is a very good poacher but do you think he would work half as much in the wing and track back as he does? Lambert probably would've rested Weimann and played Dawkins but it would've been too big gamble when we were in danger of relegation.

Yes - I agree - I think Weiman has been poor over the few games - but with the team overall doing well in an attacking sense, it would have been a big risk to swap him out for Bent or Nzogbia. I do have concerns that weiman is all workrate - and he won't be able to sustain it.

, in Lamberts case scotland and the lower leagues in england. 

Have we signed a single player from Scotland under Lambert?  <_<

Wow. I think you'll be generalising a lot here. Besides, hasn't Scotland had an obscene number of successful managers, very few of whom buy lots of Scottish players? 

Haha in sweeps the Lambert defence league, calm down.

Of course im generalising, it's the only way to make a post that isn't 1000000 words long.

Yes scotland has had some very successfull players and managers but in the last 10 years or so there has been a decline in quality of the league and national team, scotland is not the place to look imo.

No we havn't signed any scottish players yet under Lambert nor have signed any german players despite his 1 year in Dortmund

i think we need to get this idea that "lambert always brings in unknown foreign talent" out of our heads. Benteke might not have been known to a lot of forumers but he had just scored for the belgian full team against holland, and had an impressive record in Belgium. Vlaar and El Ahmadi weren't gems they were seasoned pro's, and Sylla was the only real surprise to come out of his transfers, he wasn't a prolific foreign buyer for norwich, he used much the same technique there, looking at the "best of the rest" as it were, in lower divisions. I think if we want to aim higher we should at least be looking at trying to bring in Ince, think Cresswell could do a good job too. Don't know if anyone has heard of a guy called Matt Lecointe but he's a great prospect from Plymouth, rumours were the top dogs were looking at him a year or 2 ago, he's continued to progess

Lambert had three years at Norwich in his first season there it's very unlikely that you can go out and entice players from Europe to come and play in League One. A similar story with the Championship but not as severe, however you could argue that Lambert wanted to maintain the British & Irish core he had built and any influx of foreign players could start cliques and be detrimental to what he was trying to achieve. Again in the premiership, many would have seen Norwich as almost certain relegation candidates, although he failed to bring anyone in, we are led to believe he had a lot of players from abroad lined up for Norwich including El Ahmadi who he had seen numerous times, same could probably be said for Vlaar who he would have seen first hand, Norwich have stated they had Benteke lined up (probably bollox) but we never know, when the Crewe manager said that Lambert had a 30 game dossier done on Ashley Westwood when he signed him, you know Lambert's research is very thorough. This is why I suspect the majority of players he has signed have been successes.

Edited by Folski

Of course im generalising, it's the only way to make a post that isn't 1000000 words long.

Yes scotland has had some very successfull players and managers but in the last 10 years or so there has been a decline in quality of the league and national team, scotland is not the place to look imo.

No we havn't signed any scottish players yet under Lambert nor have signed any german players despite his 1 year in Dortmund

Then forgive me for saying this but WTF are you talking about??

I'm confused.

Scotland is exactly the place to look right now, just like Belgium has just been the place to look two years ago, and Germany was the place to two years before that.

I'm confused.

Well we have been linked to a few scottish players have we not? Bridcutt, McArthur, think i've seen Hanley too and im sure there's more. As i said managers tend to sign players from where they've been, not that they exclusivelly will. This is the transfer speculation thread, not the players we've already signed thread

Im not out to bash scotland, im sure it's a lovely country, but we seen the same decline in Sweden and the swedish league and national team. The talent in players and managers is getting less and less. Without Ibra we're a grey mass and no swedish team will ever challenge for an honour in the european cups again

Scotland is exactly the place to look right now, just like Belgium has just been the place to look two years ago, and Germany was the place to two years before that.

Why?

Edited by sne

I'm confused.

Well we have been linked to a few scottish players have we not? Bridcutt, McArthur, think i've seen Hanley too and im sure there's more. As i said managers tend to sign players from where they've been, not that they exclusivelly will

Im not out to bash scotland, im sure it's a lovely country, but we seen the same decline in Sweden and the swedish league and national team. The talent in players and managers is getting less and less. Without Ibra we're a grey mass and no swedish team will ever challenge for an honour in the european cups again

Why?

Because that's where Bannan is from of course.....

• Like 1

Got to be joking, surely?