Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

On the BBC transfer rumour thing we're linked with Aiden McGeady again.  Hopefully just lazy journalism as we've been linked with him ever since O'Neill's days, though I assume Lambert would have played with him at Celtic.

Luke Shaw is a future England left back. I don't see him moving anytime soon but when he does it'll be for big money. I can see Baines going to United and then Shaw taking over from him in a couple of years. It would be silly for him to move from Southampton currently as he's making rapid progress there.

And you can remove the centre back de Vrij from Feyernoord from my list. He's just signed a one year contract extention at Feyenoord.

By the way the kid Arsenal are signing from Auxerre in Ligue 2, the striker Yaya Sanogo, is one heck of a player. He's had some long layoffs with injury so there's a bit of risk there but Arsenal can afford to try such risks. There is as much talent in Ligue 2 as there is in the Championship - the difference is the French kids are likely to be about 3 or 4 times cheaper.

Are you basing Sanogo on FM? lol

He was up front in with dzeko in my champions league winning swansea team back on FM 2010!

• Like 1

Lambert has set out the guidelines for this transfer window very clearly. He will be looking for promising young players with potential at a reasonable price who will be happy to sign for comparatively low wages, he will then look to add value to them while they are at Villa. If there is speculation about older players or proven younger players already on good wages, then I think we can dismiss those rumours. 

Lambert has set out the guidelines for this transfer window very clearly. He will be looking for promising young players with potential at a reasonable price who will be happy to sign for comparatively low wages, he will then look to add value to them while they are at Villa. If there is speculation about older players or proven younger players already on good wages, then I think we can dismiss those rumours. 

True.  I think they see this as at least another 3 transfer windows before we have anything like the team he wants to challenge for the top 6-8.  We aren't going to blow a huge wedge this summer and let the wage bill go through the roof again.  I hope we get some more players who really want to play for the Villa and the fans want to get behind.

Luke Shaw supports Chelsea, that will give them the edge over ManU. I would still like us to try sign him, even though he's recently signed a contract extension. 

Why would he move to us? Southampton looks very decent, similar to Villa at the moment ( if not better throughout season ). If they sell him, it will be to Chelsea or United of this world's.

Edited by Alakagom

Luke Shaw, Walcott, Bale, Oxlade-Chamberlain... Our graduates pale in comparison. Lallana and Dyer too. Imagine if Southampton had been playing at a level where they could have retained these guys...

I've seen Kjaer being mentioned a bit over the last couple of pages. How has he been performing at Wolfsburg this season?  I saw plenty of him when he was at Roma a couple of years ago and he was really struggling, made a lot of mistakes which ultimately cost him a permanent move. Personally I think we’ll need someone steadier at centre back given how error prone the rest of the defence is. 

I've seen Kjaer being mentioned a bit over the last couple of pages. How has he been performing at Wolfsburg this season?  I saw plenty of him when he was at Roma a couple of years ago and he was really struggling, made a lot of mistakes which ultimately cost him a permanent move. Personally I think we’ll need someone steadier at centre back given how error prone the rest of the defence is. 

From what i've seen this season he's been pretty good(ish), not like at Palermo but better than the last few seasons. I'd happily have him here.

Wolfsburgs season has been up and down and so has their defence. 

If we're looking at players at Wolfsburg i hope we scout Max Arnold as one for the future.

I know the comparison to try and emulate Dortmund is easy as Lambert been there but it's so far off it makes me cringe in embarresment. We should look more towards Freiburg and what they are doing and maybee then aim for Dortmund

From what i've seen this season he's been pretty good(ish), not like at Palermo but better than the last few seasons. I'd happily have him here.

If we're looking at players at Wolfsburg i hope we scout Max Arnold as one for the future.

I know the comparison to try and emulate Dortmund is easy as Lambert been there but it's so far off it makes me cringe in embarresment. We should look more towards Freiburg and what they are doing and maybee then aim for Dortmund

What are Freiburg doing?

Edited by Con

On the subject of German football, what do people make of Pierre Michel Lassonga at Hertha Berlin. He’s been out with an injury for much of the last year, but prior to that had impressed with 13 goals in Hertha’s 2010-11 promotion season and then 8 during their brief stay in the Bundesliga. I’ve only actually seen him play a couple of times, but he’s a German U-21 international, hardworking, strong aerially and a decent finisher both in the air and with the ball at his feet.

I’m not sure how likely it is that we will be in for a striker during the summer, but if Lambert is looking for someone other than Bowery to provide cover for Benteke then Lassonga could be worth a look. It’s likely that he will move on this summer, with a €5-6m price being mentioned. I think that would offer decent value given his age.

What are Freiburg doing?

Well in short they have realised that they can't compete with the best teams in germany but through consistency they can compete with the teams just below. They sign young talented players and have a great academy and they know that they'll always have to sell their best players if a big team comes in. But as they know this they plan for it.

They play the same type of football throughout their club and recriut managers in house (is that the right frase) from inside the club. In the last 7 years they've won reserve cup 4 times and the reserve league once. This year they are close to the CL-play off spot

It's pretty much what i think Lambert is trying to do here and that's why i think it's a better likness to us then Dortmund

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

What are Freiburg doing?

Well in short they have realised that they can't compete with the best teams in germany but through consistency they can compete with the teams just below. They sign young talented players and have a great academy and they know that they'll always have to sell their best players if a big team comes in. But as they know this they plan for it.

They play the same type of football throughout their club and recriut managers in house (is that the right frase) from inside the club. In the last 7 years they've won reserve cup 4 times and the reserve league once. This year they are close to the CL-play off spot

It's pretty much what i think Lambert is trying to do here and that's why i think it's a better likness to us then Dortmund

Thanks for the explanation :)

Freiberg do sound interesting and I agree, it is a better likeness to us than Dortmund right now. We have been beating the clubs we should beat, and losing to the better teams. It is very likely we'll sell our best player - Benteke - next year. 

How would you describe Villa's style of football, and is it implemented at all levels?

Villa do differ from Freiberg in an important way, which is we are a much bigger club, from a bigger city, with a bigger stadium, which gives us bigger revenues. Our ceiling of achievement ought to be higher than Freiberg's.

I find it a convincing argument that Lambert is taking ideas from German football and applying it to running of Aston Villa. That would be cool, if that were true. 

Freiberg/Dormund model would be gradualist approach to pushing toward the Champions League, rather than Man City/Chelsea top down, astroturfing model. Small steps of improvement at a time, not bankrupting the club, making the foundations the best possible.

What are Freiburg doing?

Thanks for the explanation :)

Freiberg do sound interesting and I agree, it is a better likeness to us than Dortmund right now. We have been beating the clubs we should beat, and losing to the better teams. It is very likely we'll sell our best player - Benteke - next year. 

How would you describe Villa's style of football, and is it implemented at all levels?

Villa do differ from Freiberg in an important way, which is we are a much bigger club, from a bigger city, with a bigger stadium, which gives us bigger revenues. Our ceiling of achievement ought to be higher than Freiberg's.

I find it a convincing argument that Lambert is taking ideas from German football and applying it to running of Aston Villa. That would be cool, if that were true. 

Freiberg/Dormund model would be gradualist approach to pushing toward the Champions League, rather than Man City/Chelsea top down, astroturfing model. Small steps of improvement at a time, not bankrupting the club, making the foundations the best possible.

Very much agree with the parts in bold, our starting pre-conditions are far better then those of Freiburg, sadly the glass ceiling in the PL is harder to break throu i think.

Edit: Not sure about our style of football yet and i don't think Lamberts been here long enough to affect it on all levels. Freiburg had the same president for something like 35 years and the same manager for almost 20 i think so they had time to build up a good foundation. We have to find other ways but you have to start sometime...

Edited by sne

Sne, i understand your point but i think some of the players we are buying are probably a mix between Freiberg and Dortmund. We are clearly MILES off Dortmund but it would be interesting to see whether players like Lowton, Westwood and Sylla would get into their club and whether they would see potential in them for their own team? Benteke obviously would.

I just keep thinking, if we sign 4 players each year who will have the same success rate of those mentioned, how good could we be?

It's all Dortmund have done they're just 5 years further down the line than us! For example they brought Gündogan 2 years ago for €4million, absolutely ridiculous fee! I don't know much about Freiberg's team tbh, but do they have players of the same quality of some of ours??

Sne, i understand your point but i think some of the players we are buying are probably a mix between Freiberg and Dortmund. We are clearly MILES off Dortmund but it would be interesting to see whether players like Lowton, Westwood and Sylla would get into their club and whether they would see potential in them for their own team? Benteke obviously would.

I just keep thinking, if we sign 4 players each year who will have the same success rate of those mentioned, how good could we be?

It's all Dortmund have done they're just 5 years further down the line than us! For example they brought Gündogan 2 years ago for €4million, absolutely ridiculous fee! I don't know much about Freiberg's team tbh, but do they have players of the same quality of some of ours??

I don't think anyone except Benteke from our team would get a look in at Dortmund and i don't yet see the potential in any of them to ever be that good. That doesn't mean they won't become good player in their own right thou.

Just to be clear im no expert on Freiburg or german football, i watch it a lot and read what i find but im in no way an expert so take from it what you will

Fair enough mate, it really is fascinating how they have manager to get so many players from Bundesliga.2 and lower Bundesliga teams and turn them into such a great team!!

Most of the young great german players in Dortmund and other teams were part of the golden generations that dominated in  the U17,U19 and U21 arond 2007-2009.

Dortmund signed them young but they where already very good and talented players 

I don't think anyone except Benteke from our team would get a look in at Dortmund and i don't yet see the potential in any of them to ever be that good. That doesn't mean they won't become good player in their own right thou.

Just to be clear im no expert on Freiburg or german football, i watch it a lot and read what i find but im in no way an expert so take from it what you will

It is the most difficult thing to forecast .... a young players rate of improvement. some plateau out early some just keep going.

This is why it's a tough call do we stick or twist on a player...Bennet is a case in question ...one for the " defence and the prosecution"

I guess thats why Managers get so well paid.