Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

I think there will be a similar budget to last season which was aprox £20 million net. What Lambert got with that £20 million is now a £10 million right back, a midfielder who's on par with Joe Allen's first premier league season who went for £15 million a decent centre half and a striker I wouldn't sell for less than £30 million. Not forgetting he resigned Guzan that's and Sylla looks decent towards the end of the season that's not a bad strike rate. I still think KEA and Bennett could come good also. Only Holman looks totally average and McLeish signed him.

So a couple of £7-8 million signings and a few £2-3 million signings by the looks. Totally going forward with the Borussia Dortmund model.

Come on mate - Set the bar higher than Joe Allen FFS !

I think there will be a similar budget to last season which was aprox £20 million net. What Lambert got with that £20 million is now a £10 million right back, a midfielder who's on par with Joe Allen's first premier league season who went for £15 million a decent centre half and a striker I wouldn't sell for less than £30 million. Not forgetting he resigned Guzan that's and Sylla looks decent towards the end of the season that's not a bad strike rate. I still think KEA and Bennett could come good also. Only Holman looks totally average and McLeish signed him.

So a couple of £7-8 million signings and a few £2-3 million signings by the looks. Totally going forward with the Borussia Dortmund model.

He was excellent in his first season for Swansea in the PL.

He was excellent in his first season for Swansea in the PL.

Totally different position to Benteke and not in the same league, however he was very good last year and if he had stayed at swansea i imagine he would have been very good again and continued to progress further! Now at liverpool his chances will be limited and i don't imagine his career will hit the heights it could have done, certainly delayed him for 2-3 years. Also will always have a 'flop' stigma attached to him now which always seems to weigh players down!! (unless he has a great season next year, unlikely however)

my point was meant to be this is why Benteke should stay! lol

I was comparing Westwood to Allen.

Yeah I was thinking this too. And IMO Westwood has more to his game than Allen. I mean, some fans criticised Westwood for sideways passing, but Allen has it down to a tee!

I think another French player maybe on the books, they have a strong youth policy over there and he must have his scouts looking very closely there for us to have found Sylla.

I would like to see another LB, 2 midfielders, can't see Delph in our long term plans, a CB and maybe another striker if Bent goes, or Wieman.

Why would we get rid of Delph - a good offer aside, he's been fantastic the final third of the season and shown his worth and future worth if he carries forth into next season. 

What knoppy said. He's 23 and imo I think he's been awesome for the last third or so of the season, getting the form back as to why Villa bought him in the first place!

• Like 2

It's a great approach to have for a club like ours. If it works sufficiently to get us up and around the Champions League places then you might have to think about changing it but we're miles off that at the moment. Needs a great scouting team and a quality manager to do. I still think the scouting network is probably under construction to an extent but we'll be much better for taking this approach in the long run.

Did anybody else realise that Alex Mcleish managed Lambert at Motherwell???

And he was absolutely dire then. Made the same mistakes tactically and in transfer dealings back in those days. He is a woeful manager.

Back on topic...

I am more than happy Lambert is continuing buying players with potential, hunger and desire. He has already shown that he has an eye for a player. I have absolutely no idea who we will go for but shoring up that defence would be a good start. This Summer will be interesting.

Paul Lambert says Aston Villa will not make any big summer signings

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert has warned the club's fans not to expect any major signings in the summer.

"Those days have gone."

He added: "We have stripped it right back. We want players who are hungry. I look at players with character, not those who just want money."

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/22556883

= summer transfer window:

1LiyK1e.gif

Well if were going down the cheap road again i think we will be in for another long difficult season

We just need a few quality players with a bit of experience especially in defence

Yes because a transfer window without any big money signing is a window with poor signing, Con. Not quite.

I dread it if Lambert will sign another Westwood or Lowton or god forbid Benteke.

• Like 2

Well if were going down the cheap road again i think we will be in for another long difficult season

We just need a few quality players with a bit of experience especially in defence

Didn't we say this last year? And wasn't it the experienced players that let us down?

I have no problems with wanting players who are hungry and looking at players with character, not those who just want money. But I do want to see Lambert backed with enough money to buy the players he will want that will make us safe before the 37th game next season and it would not seem unreasonable to give him up to £30m to spend in this window on say a couple of £7 - 8m signings and 2 or 3 @ around £3 - £4m. I also think we will need to offer Benteke something on a par with what Gabby is getting and show some ambition with our signings if we are to seriously try to keep him and show we are not a selling or feeder club.

• Like 1