Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Luke Murphy seems to be talked about as being certain to come here.  I cant see Chester coming here now he is in the prem with Hull, especially as his price will increase.  

Someone playing in league 1 shouldn't need convincing to sign for Aston Villa.

Gonna go ahead and agree with this.

Think he means convincing to come here rather than another club, wouldn't surprise me if a few Prem teams have their eyes on him.

Luke Murphy seems to be talked about as being certain to come here.  I cant see Chester coming here now he is in the prem with Hull, especially as his price will increase.  

Think there are a few reasons for it:

• He's been quoted as saying that he feels he is ready to play at a higher level,
  • He's very good friends with Westwood, they've played together since they were 9. It's clear to see how highly he thinks of him.
  • We've been linked
  • He was in the Football League Team of The Year
  • Right age, and plays a position we need players for
  • Lambert has definitely been to see Crewe play, likely to watch Murphy (I'd also take Max Clayton!)

I dont think its 100% nailed on. But it just has a lot to back it up. From reading that interview with him on our OS it's clear to see he has the mentality that Lambert would want, he isnt going to cost the earth. Probably £2-3m if Crewe hold out on us. We'll see but I'd like it to happen.

Edited by HalfTimePost

I'd like it to happen. I've rated player scouting tips since Gabby told us to get Ashley Young from Watford, after his loan spell there.

Am I right to imagine Murphy as a similar style player to Gardner? Athletic attacking midfielder in the Gerrard mould. Although it's possible they could play in the same XI it is likely Gardner will be Murphy's main competition, if Gardner is not loaned out.

That could concern him. He will know Gardner, although injury prone, has been highly-rated as an England youth player. But he not first choice yet or even proven.

With Westwood here, Murphy would know he will be first choice and have an advantage settling-in. If he wanted to demonstrate he can play in the Premier League Aston Villa has to be the best club for him. At 24 now is the time for him to make that move.

Defence is key

I'm happy for us not to sign an other midfielder or attacker all summer as long as he brings in some better defenders

Clark and Baker will never be consistent enough to be relied upon week in week out, CB is a key position and they are simply not good enough to take us up the table

Bennett has the fortune of being a left back and less in the firing line, after a shocking start he has slowly improved, his delivery is superb, i think we need a new one to give him some serious competition though

so a decent CB and LB is a must for me, maybe even 2 CBs

we've proved we can score goals with the attackers/midfielders we have

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/400697/Aston-Villa-s-Austin-powers

^ Would not mind taking a gamble on him, goalscorer at every level

Is he quick? Would we play him?

Aren't many counter-attack goals on these clips. Lots of headers and goals from good crosses. That's not the way we've been scoring this year. 

Like the fact he's English, although I think Vydra would better fit our counter-attack style.

On that 4 mins clip you would have to say he's worth a shout but I'd want to know more about his work rate and what he does off the ball.

He does look a very good finisher but would he come to Villa with our forward line is the question. Our forwards have done well this season and would be difficult to imagine PL would want to break them up.

Defence is key

I'm happy for us not to sign an other midfielder or attacker all summer as long as he brings in some better defenders

Clark and Baker will never be consistent enough to be relied upon week in week out, CB is a key position and they are simply not good enough to take us up the table

Bennett has the fortune of being a left back and less in the firing line, after a shocking start he has slowly improved, his delivery is superb, i think we need a new one to give him some serious competition though

Definitely have to sort out the defence but I'd go further and say we must strengthen nearly everywhere. Our first team is good, but as soon as people like Gabby were getting injured, and we missed Westwood in the League Cup, and the reserve players came in, we became massively compromised as a team. A lot of players need moving out and the squad needs building full of hard-working talented young players, to replace the hard-working not so talented young players already there. That's how we'll improve. 

I read apost a few pages back about getting Steven Defour from porto as norwich are after him. This could be a decent shout. It's a player with a lot of experience. He's not always starting, but still a good player. With the world cup coming up, he would be looking to be a regular starter, which he could be for us. He used to be an ACM, now he's a holding midfielder. Could be usefull to keep a playmaker out of the game.

Only problem is that hè could cost a few million.

I read apost a few pages back about getting Steven Defour from porto as norwich are after him. This could be a decent shout. It's a player with a lot of experience. He's not always starting, but still a good player. With the world cup coming up, he would be looking to be a regular starter, which he could be for us. He used to be an ACM, now he's a holding midfielder. Could be usefull to keep a playmaker out of the game.

Only problem is that hè could cost a few million.

I'd say his wages are more likely to be the main problem.

Defence is key

A lot of players need moving out and the squad needs building full of hard-working talented young players, to replace the hard-working not so talented young players already there. That's how we'll improve. 

This is key to us improving IMO

some of our academy players simply aren't good enough and players like Lowton and Westwood have totally eclipsed the likes of Bannan, Baker and Clark

we need to rid ourselves of any sentimentality and get young players that are actually going to contribute

Calm down. Lowton and Westwood have a lot of first team experience in lower leagues. Our academy players have been thrown straight in at the deep end. That's a big difference.

Calm down. Lowton and Westwood have a lot of first team experience in lower leagues. Our academy players have been thrown straight in at the deep end. That's a big difference.

Really? Clark and Bannan have something like 120 first team games between them. Hardly being thrown in.

• Like 1