Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Sne, i understand your point but i think some of the players we are buying are probably a mix between Freiberg and Dortmund. We are clearly MILES off Dortmund but it would be interesting to see whether players like Lowton, Westwood and Sylla would get into their club and whether they would see potential in them for their own team? Benteke obviously would.

I just keep thinking, if we sign 4 players each year who will have the same success rate of those mentioned, how good could we be?

It's all Dortmund have done they're just 5 years further down the line than us! For example they brought Gündogan 2 years ago for €4million, absolutely ridiculous fee! I don't know much about Freiberg's team tbh, but do they have players of the same quality of some of ours??

I don't think anyone except Benteke from our team would get a look in at Dortmund and i don't yet see the potential in any of them to ever be that good. That doesn't mean they won't become good player in their own right thou.

Just to be clear im no expert on Freiburg or german football, i watch it a lot and read what i find but im in no way an expert so take from it what you will

It is the most difficult thing to forecast .... a young players rate of improvement. some plateau out early some just keep going.

This is why it's a tough call do we stick or twist on a player...Bennet is a case in question ...one for the " defence and the prosecution"

I guess thats why Managers get so well paid.

True that!

And even the best get's it wrong sometimes like with Pique, Reus, Hummels and so on...

I think a lot depends on who leaves.

Basic requirements will be a CB once Dunne's contract expires. Cover in the Full back position if Lichaj doesn't get a new contract. A goalscoring midfielder.

If players leave then we may see more additons.

I just hope that the "young" players we sign are young and talented like let's say Will Hughes or Luke Shaw at 17-19 and not the Aston Villa version of "young" at 22-23 unless they are already playing at a high level like Benteke did

I just hope that the "young" players we sign are young and talented like let's say Will Hughes or Luke Shaw at 17-19 and not the Aston Villa version of "young" at 22-23 unless they are already playing at a high level like Benteke did

Not a fan of Westwood and Lowton then?

Not a fan of Westwood and Lowton then?

Sure i am, i just think that the way forward is to sign even younger talented players and develop them at the club, while at the same time sign the odd more expensive player who is expected to perform from day one. Hoping that players in their mid 20's playing in league 2 will work as a strategy is a risky one imo

Benteke hardly played at a high level

Thought he was breaking into the Belgium national team ?

How would you describe Villa's style of football, and is it implemented at all levels?

I've always been under the impression that the youth and reserve teams play better football than our first team, in terms of philosophy atleast.

Absolutely no chance of signing Shaw, wish we would stop talking about him. If we wanted to sign him we should have made a move before he made an appearance for Southampton. I know a couple of posters on here had mentioned him before he broke through, was always destined for the top and we've missed the bus on him now

Still think we need Sneijder. Save him from Turkey. Could be fairly cheap now too.

What? The only reason he went to Turkey is because they were the only ones willing to cough up his massive salary.

Did anybody know that in 1893 Villa broke the transfer record by paying £100 for Willie Groves from West Bromwich Albion. Since then we have broke the transfer record 3 times as a selling team. Trevor Ford in 1950 for 30k, then Andy Gray and David Platt. I think we were ripped off with Willie Groves. He was only worth £95.

Did anybody know that in 1893 Villa broke the transfer record by paying £100 for Willie Groves from West Bromwich Albion. Since then we have broke the transfer record 3 times as a selling team. Trevor Ford in 1950 for 30k, then Andy Gray and David Platt. I think we were ripped off with Willie Groves. He was only worth £95.

I heard Willie Groves got a £4.75 signing on fee as well thanks to having a top class Agent in his corner

Quite a leap. By my estimations £100 would be the equivalent of £10,000 today

I heard Willie Groves got a £4.75 signing on fee as well thanks to having a top class Agent in his corner

Yes that would have been a years wages for most players

Why would he move to us? Southampton looks very decent, similar to Villa at the moment ( if not better throughout season ). If they sell him, it will be to Chelsea or United of this world's.

If Lerner wanted to get him then he could. If you didn't know already then "Football is run by money, not loyalty". 

Bale wasn't half the player Shaw is at 17. Splashing 15-20m to sign him now would pay off in the long-term.

If you dont count the Belgian national side that is...