Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

i dont think well see an AM either... if we get someone in id rather see a dm or maybe a defender who can play a bit everywhere? lb cover if luna gets injured maybe, bennet is alright but I dont want too rely on him for too long.

we should get some deadwoob-b-gone and get some more space in our wage budget!

Personally I think we will switch between a defensive looking midfield with Sylla in front of the defense and an attacking midfield with a man behind Benteke.

Maybe Helenius will be the attacking option.

Personally I think our inward business is now done and its a case of shifting the deadwood. It looks like Bent is on his way which is good from a wages perspective but we really need to move Ireland and Given and there are no apparent takers. Stevens, Bannan and the Fonz are less of a problem and I suspect could be loaned out if necessary.

I could just about see a bid for an AM at the end of the window if they have shifted most of the above and Lambert maybe feels we lack something in the side but I'm very doubtful. As for the Twitter stuff its mainly tweeted between a small group of people who all reckon they are ITK so it should be treated with extreme caution. Monkeys and Shakespeare spring to mind.

Edited by Harry

Gotta say I was disappointed with a lot of the lads playing on Sunday. The 2nd half team were poor

I think we could be in for the same season as last, in that the new lads will take the guts of 6 months to get up to speed and post Christmas we may start to look better (I don't expect we will be fighting relegation again though)

In any case, the point I'm getting to, is that we could use one more class player and I think it would be better suited to the wing.

Gabby is good when he is good but that's not consistent enough

Tonev looks like he will be part of the lads who take 6 months

Weimann is a better complete forward than attacking winger

Zog I don't rate at all

Caruthers and Grealish I rate but they need a ham sandwich to bulk up

I think the reason most of us are thinking we're after an attacking/creative midfielder is simply because it's glaringly obvious that we need one

Of our main central midfield pool of players, Delph, Westwood, Sylla, Ahmadi ... none of them look like they have a goal or a creative spark in them. They're all fine in other ways but basically they're all a bit of a muchness to my eyes at least. Where's the threat through the middle going to come from ?

Pundits have already said we don't look like we have a midfielder that'll break though and get in the box ahead of the strikers and they aren't wrong. In fact if those 4 managed more than 5 goals between them all season i'd be amazed

• Like 2

I think we have enough numbers and quality for the job in hand. Signing another player at this late stage is not necessary (imo) and could demotivate those players who are currently battling their arses off to get their names on the team sheet. 

I think we have enough numbers and quality for the job in hand. Signing another player at this late stage is not necessary (imo) and could demotivate those players who are currently battling their arses off to get their names on the team sheet. 

Or Motivate them a bit harder when they see there is another bit of quality looking their place

I don't think we're solid enough in midfield and defense to support playing 3 forwards AND a number 10. Our form towards the end of last season also supports this; we were much better when we played 3 solid central midfielders together.

If we played a team containing Weimann, Agbolnahor, Benteke and a number 10, then Weimann and Agbonlahor would have to do more work defensively, which would limit their impact on the game.

I think we're fine as we are.

A fully Prem blooded Tonev and a fit Nzogbia might give us the attacking options we need in midfield, plus Helenius can do that role.

Also Gardener and Albrighton when fit can add attacking options to midfield - although both are long shots right now.

Surely this must also be the break through season for Carruthers or else we would just be loaning or selling him, maybe Grealish will get a look in at some point.

I get that the links to Belhanda and Kiyoakte indicate we want an AM but we don't know if those are true, most of the time we enquire about players and then agents and clubs use that understated interest to ramp up transfer fees etc. We might have a scout who discovers someone they like, but the club may have no interest in that player at that point in time. We're a big club allegedly so I imagine 'interest' can be registered at many different levels.

Anyway i agree we need some more attacking threat in midfield but also agree that we are not set up to play like that. But I always thought we play three forwards because we DON'T have the attacking talent in midfield and not the other way round. So maybe Lambert would play differently if he felt we had the talent available.

I also think Delph has goals in him.

Tonev didn't look like he can play attacking midfield. Fair enough it was his first game back but when he got on the wings a couple times he looked way better.  

Thats a few games now that Lambert has played a system with an attacking midfielder so its gonna be a formation that we will use this season especially when we need to go all out for a goal I reckon or maybe it is the formation that Lambert wants to start most games with giving the we'll score more than you approach that he seems to take.. Unfortunately we don't have a player in the current squad to fill that position so I'd be very surprised if a player wasn't bought to play there. We have been linked by clubs owners to players that play attacking midfield but it looks we have to get some dead wood off the wage bill before we make a move happen.

I think the reason most of us are thinking we're after an attacking/creative midfielder is simply because it's glaringly obvious that we need one

Of our main central midfield pool of players, Delph, Westwood, Sylla, Ahmadi ... none of them look like they have a goal or a creative spark in them. They're all fine in other ways but basically they're all a bit of a muchness to my eyes at least. Where's the threat through the middle going to come from ?

Pundits have already said we don't look like we have a midfielder that'll break though and get in the box ahead of the strikers and they aren't wrong. In fact if those 4 managed more than 5 goals between them all season i'd be amazed

Sort of agree with you. They're all good players and collectively they are almost there, but is there a winner amongst them yet? Someone who can turn the game in an instant?

The right AM could turn a decent looking Villa side into a bloody dangerous one that can frighten teams.

Alfred Finnbogason got 2 at weekend in Eredivisie, Celtic couldn't afford the 5million!! if Bent goes would love to see him brought in, he is a lethal goalscorer and watched a lot of him last season, he would fit the Lambert philosophy!! i know been linked with him past, but would love see him in C&B!! he can also play the hole behind the front 3 as well!!