Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

I think our biggest weakness last season was in midfield even thou our defence leaked goals.

Don't get me wrong, our defence was abysmal but for most of the season the midfield offered very little or no help in defending and keeping possession while at the same time offering very few assists or goals going forward.

It no doubt looked better with the Sylla, Delph, Westwood pairing but im afriaid we'll see more of the same this season with the defence having to do all the defending and the forwards having to create their own chances and do almost all of the scoring.

Im sure we'll see an improved midfield this season but i still feel they are unbalanced, in the best of worlds we'd get a new DCM and a AM and thou i'd love us to sign someone like Kiyotake i'd rather we signed a solid DCM like... No, no names because then all responses will be about our chances of signing said player.

• Like 1

Sylla looks a lot more like an anchoring defensive midfielder now, or at least has done in pre-season. He has been sat just in front of the defence and moves forward to mop up any trouble or any stray balls that come his way. He's still pushed forward a bit on the counter attack but primarily he has been set out pretty deep.

When he was first brought in he was pushing high quite regularly, he definitely looks more defensive now from what we have seen.

Sylla looks a lot more like an anchoring defensive midfielder now, or at least has done in pre-season. He has been sat just in front of the defence and moves forward to mop up any trouble or any stray balls that come his way. He's still pushed forward a bit on the counter attack but primarily he has been set out pretty deep.

When he was first brought in he was pushing high quite regularly, he definitely looks more defensive now from what we have seen.

Well that's great, we really need that, let's hope he can do it against PL teams too as pre season against Walsall and so on is not a true test.

Here's hoping!

I would be surprised if we made any more signings this transfer window. When you have a squad of hungry young talented players then the focus switches to the manager. It's all about inspiration and motivation, PL has to convince these lads that he has total trust in their collective ability to get the job done.

Imo making a more expensive late "sexy" signing would be a big demotivator for our aspiring young players.

Yes I noticed that myself. It is better that way, notice that he usually is very calm on the ball and takes a safe pass. Always good to have players like that if they managed to do that without several mistakes. Westwood could also be for that role, but Sylla is much more physical to his game. IMO, he seems like a great talent, and I am still gonna stand by the fact that he will be the most noteworthy midfielder this season. 

I do want to see Tonev play more, I literally got nothing on him... 

I am getting more resigned to the fact that this window is probably over, and I guess I am okay with it. Still wish there would be more, but getting the team to play together and learn is the most vital aspect. But I honestly have no idea on what to expect, for all I know we could end up winning against arsenal 2-1 or something or get smashed 4-0.  

I could see us adding 1-2 players in Jan like last time, we found Sylla fairly quickly from his interview a while ago, even before this window shuts we maybe get a relative unknown Attacking mid from some far flung league.... There's a lot of talent out there and Lambert seems to be looking in all the right places so far!

He did seem to play that way against Walsall. His timing has vastly improved, but I'm especially impressed with his accurate, incisive passing. Theres a lot more to come from this lad.

Whatever next season, the midfield do need to offer more protection to the defence I agree, but they also need to make sure they protect the left as well as the right. Someone pointed out earlier last season that Bennett was getting far more pressure on him than Lowton for that reason and the same will happen to Luna if we're not careful. There's a definite right side bias there.

I'm thinking we're going to look abroad, Eredivisie? Bundesliga? 

But I suppose my real question is, is this going to be a marquee signing for 7m+  or another under the radar for 1-2m? I secretly hope its the first one.