Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

Our transfer policy has to change next year. If we continue to flood the team with league 1 players again we will go down if we dont go this season. every other club seems like they will spend in the summer with the extra tv money and we seem like we will be left way behind.

Lowton and Westwood could hardly be described as a flood ...

But sensationalist posting is a staple of VT!

Lowton over Kyle Walker,Glen Johnson,Micah Richards(All full backs) and Phil jones (centre back but can do a decent job there) at right back for England ? Come off it.

I think Lowton could get an england cap or two as he matures but never ever ready atm. I'd like to see more experience. A left back is needed despite joey bennett improving slightly aswell as a centre back to partner Baker when Vlaar gets injured(because no doubt that will happen).

Well whoever we sign, I'll get behind. IMO, on the whole, PL's signings have been pretty good.

If he can continue getting in the players he wants and can jettison the deadwood or overpaid (Bent, Makoun, Ireland, Given, Dunne et al) to free up the wages then we'll be alright.

When we secure Premiership status, will be the time to speculate properly!!!

well it looks like most of the high earners and those we no longer want as  general opinion, will be gone in the summer, so that should free up quite alot of money...

the likes of given, hutton, dunne, makoun, ireland, petrov and bent (and hopefully delfouneso) will most likely leave one way or another

in which case, huge investment is clearly needed all over the pitch...

gk - a back up to push guzan and a cheaper rate

lb - someone more solid and reliable

x2 cbs - baker needs not to have so much pressure on his shoulders and vlaar will most likely be injured most of the season

af - to replace bent

think Lowton could get an england cap or two as he matures but never ever ready atm. I'd like to see more experience

Thats exactly what i think B)

I agree too.

Kyle Walker is by far the best right back in England, possibly the world, so Lowton won't get many opportunities. He will need a back-up though, so I expect Lowton to be capped. Similar to the Ashley Cole vs Leighton Baines question, though Kyle Walker is better going forward than Cole.

"Might be a bit harsh on Lerner and Faulkner...Things had to change, and they have... My view is that the changes have saved the club from a fate worse than a few seasons struggling, and although Randy and Faulkner should never have let it happen in the first place (or did they not 'interfere'?), they have at least had the sense to make sure it didn't continue like it did at Leeds and Portsmouth, and is doing at QPR (who spent big on experience in January, and are now screwed)."

I see where you are coming from Pez1974 but I think we have took the cost cutting too far too soon. A gradual spending reduction could have been managed but to have cut back so hard and then have spent so little in the last window was too great a risk to take. If we get out of it Lambo will have done more than could have reasonably been expected and we really do need to back him with some of the extra money we would make from staying up in the next window.     

I think, although currently he's inexperienced, Lowton is seeming to be one of the most balanced right backs, in the sense of attacking and defending, around in my opinion.

He could attack the flank and take the ball down the line a bit more but with experience and the confidence that develops from it, I think he'll start doing this.

If we stay up, it could be a really exciting summer with the deadwood leaving (Dunne Hutton Warnock Ireland etc) and some more promising youngsters joining. Please just stay up Villa .

If we stay up, it could be a really exciting summer with the deadwood leaving (Dunne Hutton Warnock Ireland etc) and some more promising youngsters joining. Please just stay up Villa .

Maybe what Weimann meant the other day when talking about the future?

think Lowton could get an england cap or two as he matures but never ever ready atm. I'd like to see more experience

I agree too.

Kyle Walker is by far the best right back in England, possibly the world, so Lowton won't get many opportunities. He will need a back-up though, so I expect Lowton to be capped. Similar to the Ashley Cole vs Leighton Baines question, though Kyle Walker is better going forward than Cole.

:blink:

• Like 4

"Might be a bit harsh on Lerner and Faulkner...Things had to change, and they have... My view is that the changes have saved the club from a fate worse than a few seasons struggling, and although Randy and Faulkner should never have let it happen in the first place (or did they not 'interfere'?), they have at least had the sense to make sure it didn't continue like it did at Leeds and Portsmouth, and is doing at QPR (who spent big on experience in January, and are now screwed)."

I see where you are coming from Pez1974 but I think we have took the cost cutting too far too soon. A gradual spending reduction could have been managed but to have cut back so hard and then have spent so little in the last window was too great a risk to take. If we get out of it Lambo will have done more than could have reasonably been expected and we really do need to back him with some of the extra money we would make from staying up in the next window.     

I think most people can agree the principles here; it just the degrees of cutting that were required and the speed that causes debate, and who's to blame. Certainly having so many managers over recent seasons has resulted in any change process being stuttering at best as Lambert is not only getting rid of MON's, Houllier's and MacLeish's shite, but 1 bloke we signed between managers as well!

I 100% agree with your last point. So many 'overpaid' players will have gone by the end of the season that the wage bill must have come down to managable levels now.

We will need to give payrises to the deserving - Benteke, Weiman, and maybe one or two others, but those costs will be covered by the loss of Stan, Dunne and Warnock who added nothing this year (although I promise never to mention Stan in the same breath as the other 2 again!). Shifting on just a few of Hutton, Bent, Ireland, Given, Makoun, plus a couple of the squad players who won't make it (Stevens? Lichaj? Delfouneso? Bannan (easy Con)?  Albrighton? KEA? Herd? etc) will free up another load of salaries.

In fact, looking at the 15 players I have mentioned in the last 2 sentances, there must be over £25m a year in salaries, for a very limited return this season. If we can peform the mircale of shifting that lot and only reinvest £10m of that in salaries we can add £200k per week in salaries on new players next season - 10 Benteke's according to reports! ;) Also, we have the best youth team in Europe, so some of them must come through starting next season to take the place of the fringe players in the squad from the previous generation.

As I have said before, I don't think transfer fees are the problem, it's the wages; if things don't change this summer - we've all been had!

Edited by Pez1974
  • Like 2

I agree too.

:blink:

i knew it wasnt me seeing things. he isnt even best right back in Premier League. this is as bad as your Bannan rubbish

If we stay up it will be an astonishing turnaround in terms of the squad and wage bill to have taken place in one season.  Lerner must look at how Benteke, Lowton, Westwood and Guzan's value have increased since coming to the club and have total trust in Lambert in the transfer market.  With massive savings on the wage bill likely and the big TV money increase we will surely have sorted out most of our financial problems in one big sweep.  It was a gamble not to buy short-term fixes in January but if we stay up then I'll have huge respect for the decisions Lerner has made this season in learning from his mistakes of the past.  I take pride in the fact that we've given opportunities to lower league and lesser known players and seen them succeed and hope we continue with this policy, I don't see why people should fear us building a team on this premise. 

I'll have huge respect for the decisions Lerner has made this season

He's gambled with our premiership status and potentially the future of the club.

You respect that?

Absolutely, I think spending another £15-£20m on players for their short-term impact in January, most likely having to pay them in excess of £40k a week for 3 or 4 years would have been as big a gamble, if not bigger when it comes to future of the club.  If we stay up then we will be in a position of decent health within one hard season's work.  I think it deserves some respect even if not everyone agrees with the way it's been done, but the future does look a bit rosier now (again, assuming we stay up!).

I think once we get the high earners out the door... we can then concentrate on bringing in the "Benteke-esc" younger players from abroad and a few lower league players who we think can step up like Lowts, Westwood and to an extent Bowery and Bennett (Looking a lot better recently)....

Hoping we can pull an exciting attacking mid/winger from Europe... Someone who can unlock a defense and cause chaos! But obviously the defense is top of the priority list!