Transfer Speculation (Summer 2013)

samjp26

So speculation, how about Jozy Altidore as a compliment/reserve for Benteke IF we stay up?

I doubt Jozy Altidore would do it if you consider the hype he has on him. Fair enough, a lot of players has that but I don`t see him joining as a backup striker for benteke. 

So speculation, how about Jozy Altidore as a compliment/reserve for Benteke IF we stay up?

I've always thought Jozy would be a good replacement were we to lose Benteke, but I'm not sure he'd be a great complement. Not to mention he's hardly a player we'd be able to snag without some heavy competition from other clubs. He's at 28 goals for the season in all competitions and there's quite a queue for his services. But hey, I'd still love to have him.

The same Altidore that bagged one goal over an entire Premiership campaign?  Granted it was Hull so he was surrounded by guff, but was still outscored by the likes o' Craig Fagan and Caleb Folan.  Anyways, regardless of his Eredivisie goal-haul (brief nod to the cautionary tale of Afonso Alves) for me not only would Altidore be highly "gettable" were we interested, but I don't think I'd even want him.  Certainly not to replace Benteke, at any rate.

Edited by GarethRDR

Never rated Altidore, don't see what all the hype is/was about.

I think he's unfortunate in the sense that there is a capable player in there, but has suffered due to the ridiculous level of expectation much in the same way as Freddy Adu.  I certainly recall him garnering some credit for his general play and the creative side of his game during his stint over here, but for me he's very much more your Emile Heskey type striker, muscling his way into space and providing a target then your complete package that Benteke is (hopefully) shaping up to be.  These two seasons with AZ are the first he's broken double figures in a league campaign, and he's been surrounded by some very talented players for that level.  He's still young though, so who knows?  He could develop and kick on to have a succesful career and will look back at his early days as having simply been too big a step-up too soon, or he could have found his level in one of the "lesser" leagues (no disrespect to the Eredivisie intended).  Either way, as I said; not a replacement for Benteke in my books.

Edited by GarethRDR

The same Altidore that bagged one goal over an entire Premiership campaign?  Granted it was Hull so he was surrounded by guff, but was still outscored by the likes o' Craig Fagan and Caleb Folan.  Anyways, regardless of his Eredivisie goal-haul (brief nod to the cautionary tale of Afonso Alves) for me not only would Altidore be highly "gettable" were we interested, but I don't think I'd even want him.  Certainly not to replace Benteke, at any rate.

You do realize he was just a kid, right? He was what, 19 at the time, walking into a team in disarray in the middle of a campaign? He's improved considerably in the four years since his loan at Hull.

He also had 7 assists in 16 starts + 12 sub appearances. Not that bad for a teenager in a new league, an awful team, and who had only played something like 10 games over the previous season.

• Like 1

I'm not saying that he hasn't got some ability or potential or hasn't improved, but when you're talking about replacing our main goal threat, for me I'd prefer someone with more than just a couple of decent seasons in the Dutch league under their belt.  But hey, 'wildcards' is the market we're shopping in at the moment.

Arsenal are sniffing around Lowton i believe. 

Even taking Benteke into consideration, i think Lowton is going to be the hardest player to keep hold of this summer.  Hes english and hasnt missed a league game in 3 or something years.  Not to mention his age and performances this year.