Margaret Thatcher dies of a stroke.

Milfner

I don't usually comment in the RIP threads , I didn't know her so I'm not going to come out with any out pouring of grief etc

I think it's well known I  was a big admirer of Thatcher , I appreciate a lot weren't

I did meet her at a few years back at Graeme Hicks testimonial , she looked unwell but wouldn't let Hick down by cancelling , she still looked sharpe and she told my son "Shhhhhhhhh" with a finger to her lips and a little smile  for making too much noise during Hick's speech :-)

It's too be expected that we will get a few "ding Dong the witch is dead  etc"   I just hope people don't deliberate wind up other posters   ...

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

The celebration that seems to be going on on the back of this news makes me really uneasy.

Dunno how old you are but those of us who saw her destroy whole communities have been waiting a long time for this

I know you are a moderator, so technically it should be you telling me what to do. But that is out of order, a human being has just died. She is not some evil murderer like Mugabe, Hitler or Saddam Hussein.

am sure a lot of people in Northern Ireland will disagree with you on that 

I think it's pretty disgusting that people can't separate politics from this. Regardless of your own political views it's disgraceful to be celebrating her death. I feel really sorry for her family and the shit they're going to have to put up with.

but you have no problem calling Alex McLeish a prick when he did nothing wrong compared to her

What a ridiculous comparison.

The celebration that seems to be going on on the back of this news makes me really uneasy.

Dunno how old you are but those of us who saw her destroy whole communities have been waiting a long time for this

I know you are a moderator, so technically it should be you telling me what to do. But that is out of order, a human being has just died. She is not some evil murderer like Mugabe, Hitler or Saddam Hussein.

am sure a lot of people in Northern Ireland will disagree with you on that 

Are you seriously placing her on the same level as those 3. I'm going to do some more research on that situation in northern ireland and come back to you. I know quite alot about it but from you have implied maybe I have missed something.

Many of her "opponents" died during things like the Miners strike, Falklands, Hillsborough etc. She had her hands certainly mixing the pot on a lot of those and many other things. Maybe you could spend a few hours talking to some of the people in mining communities and see what they think of her and her regime. The woman and the beliefs that still taint her followers in the Tory and UKIp parties are not good for any civilised society. Her passing as a 87 year old unwell woman was inevitable, asking people to be mournful for her passing after what she did and her beliefs continue to do, is not something you can realistically expect 

• Like 1

I think it's pretty disgusting that people can't separate politics from this. Regardless of your own political views it's disgraceful to be celebrating her death. I feel really sorry for her family and the shit they're going to have to put up with.

but you have no problem calling Alex McLeish a prick when he did nothing wrong compared to her

How is it? McLeish hasnt harmed a fly in life yet you abused him as a prick. but yet people should respect Thatcher who hindered not help Northern Ireland, supported the Khmer Rouge and caused chaos to workers in North of England

• Like 1

A LOT of political naivety going on in this thread, and in the main it looks like it's coming from the young and those without a good knowledge of what she did turing her tenure. 

Destroyer of lives. Destroyer of communities. Destroyer of Industry. Destroyer of Society.

For those that say some reaction are OTT, just read up in some depth about what she did, especially oop north.

She basically gave birth to the London-centric, me first, greed based economy and society. For shame. The wealthy got wealther, the poor got poorer.

I don't deny she did any or all of those things.

I'm still not sure that justifies such an open celebration of the end of someone's life.

Each to their own.

How is it? McLeish hasnt harmed a fly in life yet you abused him as a prick. but yet people should respect Thatcher who hindered not help Northern Ireland, supported the Khmer Rouge and caused chaos to workers in North of England

I never once said I'd celebrate when McLeish dies. I celebrated like mad when he left Villa and I can completely understand why some people celebrated when she left office (even if I disagree with their political views) but it would be deplorable to celebrate McLeish's death just like I think it's deplorable to celebrate Thatcher's death.

As I said, nonsensical comparison.

• Like 1

Didn't she win three general elections? She must have been somewhat popular in order to do that.

Tony Blair did likewise. :-)

Thatcher was the first exponent of popularity politics, using people like Satchi and Satchi at a time when advertising was nowhere near politics. Also you have to remember that pre Falklands her popularity was so bad that there was much talk about her being replaced as Tory leader - surprising what a war can do when you need a boost. The opposition at the time consisted of the Liberals (not Dem's yet) and Labour both of which were run by people who had admirable views but little in the way of public appeal - remember outrage re Donkey jacket and Michael Foote etc.

Thatcher's regime and especially the odious Bernard Ingham and Norman Tebbit  were masters at manipulation of the media at a time when it was very much in a evolution state for the UK

Oh and I'm going to make an early prediction that this thread will eventually reach 50 pages. The issue of Maggie T is something that everyone has an opinion on.

Once it doesnt turn out like the NextGen thread then it wont be so bad 

I was too young to directly see the shit that she caused at the time (I think I was 4 or 5 when she finished as primeminister) but from what I have learnt about her as I have grown up I have to say I am not going to be mourning her

No State funeral by the way.

Near as dammit.

Downing Street says Lady Thatcher will be accorded the same status of funeral as the Queen Mother and Princess Diana, but will not lie in state, in accordance with her own wishes.

Lady Thatcher's funeral will begin at Westminster at the Chapel of St Mary Undercroft, known as "the crypt". Her coffin will be taken by a hearse to the RAF Chapel, the church of St Clement Danes in the Strand. There her coffin will be transferred to a gun carriage drawn by the King's Troop Royal Artillery.

The coffin will then process down the Strand, through the Aldwych, then along Fleet Street before rising up Ludgate Hill to St Paul's Cathedral. The route will be lined with members of all three armed forces. At St Paul's, there will be Chelsea Pensioners lining the steps.

Â