Failed to build housing as promised

Currency crises

Widespread food shortages

Gave jet engine technology to Russia

New Colonialism of Africa

Charges for dentistry and eye tests

Just saying like :)

69081_10151676622638465_1638698232_n.jpg

Without doubt the greatest Prime Minister ever. Such an unassuming man in stature, but a true giant. When you think of the time he came to power, just after a World War, with the country virtually bankrupted by that great conflict, his and that great Labour governments achievements were quite staggeringly wonderful. Just saying like. 

• Like 1

With this talk of Attlee, just wondering, as I wasn't around at the time  ;)

How did the Churchill fronted tories get hammered in an election so soon after the end of what would have been viewed at the time as a triumphant war?

People wanted social change. It was a great chance to build a fairer society and Atlee's Labour were more likely to deliver. Tories are still Tories, after all.

Churchill was an anomaly rather than the rule in many aspects, so I'm not keen on people referring back to him, and using him as a sort of marker to hold Prime Ministers against.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

With this talk of Attlee, just wondering, as I wasn't around at the time  ;)

How did the Churchill fronted tories get hammered in an election so soon after the end of what would have been viewed at the time as a triumphant war?

Perhaps people viewed the war as showing the value of collective effort, not every man for himself.

Probably they were convinced by the programme of national rebuilding offered by Labour (and unimpressed with Churchill's stupid slur that it would need a "Gestapo" to implement).  The 1945 manifesto remains the high water mark of the Labour Party.

And probably because they didn't view success in the war as the achievement of one man who should be rewarded with a further stretch in power, but took a more realistic view of who and what had won the war.

Â