Sunderland

Richard

I don't think that's quite right either though.

At the time there was no rules about 3rd party ownership on players. There is now, but west ham's offence was not disclosing that they were 3rd party owned, not the fact that they were played.

I think... Happy to be corrected

in fairly sure there gave always been rules against third party ownership in the premier league, i remember the Juan Pablo angel deal nearly fell through because he wasn't owned by river plate

I don't think that's quite right either though.

At the time there was no rules about 3rd party ownership on players. There is now, but west ham's offence was not disclosing that they were 3rd party owned, not the fact that they were played.

I think... Happy to be corrected

in fairly sure there gave always been rules against third party ownership in the premier league, i remember the Juan Pablo angel deal nearly fell through because he wasn't owned by river plate

It was complicated, having googled it.

3rd Party Ownership wasn't against the Premier League Rules. But it's rules stated that "third parties were not permitted to "materially influence" a club's "policies or the performances of its teams""

But Tevez had a clause in his contract that said West Ham couldn't veto any transfers or influence how much they were for.

That of course does not mean that every third party arrangement has the same clauses. If no such clause existed in the Tevez issue, there may not have been a problem. A common misconception was that any third party agreement would have been in breach of the Premier League rules. In fact it was the clause giving the owners of Tevez influence over West Ham's transfer policy (plus the non disclosure of the agreement itself) which incurred the Premier League's wrath. It was for this reason that West Ham were judged to have breached the old Premier League rule Rule U18 and fined £5.5 million by the Premier League.

Link

So West Ham were fined for irregularities in Tevez' contract, i.e. concealing the fact that this 3rd Party had influence over the player and the club.

It was not the fielding of an illegible player.

This is an article from when the Premier League outlawed all 3rd Party Owned players. After "Tevez-gate"

Obviously the argument is that if West Ham HAD disclosed that a 3rd party had influence over them, then Tevez wouldn't have signed so wouldn't have played for West Ham etc etc

But that's sort of a different argument. The actual rule they broke was different. If they had signed Tevez without that one clause then it would have been fine.

Were a player to now be signed and have 3rd party ownership then the sanctions would be way harsher, because the rules have changed (see Faurlin at QPR. The FA adopted a similar policy to the Premier League in 2009)

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

How atrocious are they. I feel sort of sorry for Poyet because players like O'Shea, Brown,Larsson. Cattermole etc have been awful for 4 managers now since Bruce was there. Surely the fans need to realise the players are entirely at fault for how crap they are

Edited by Zatman

I always think with Sunderland those two terrible prem seasons they had in 2003 and 2006 when they went down both times with firstly 22 points and then 16 points or something ridiculous totally killed them off as a prem force as I remember them finishing top 7 when Phillips was banging them in.

Since then there's been a losing culture at the club that unendless managers and untold millions spent on admitedly mediocre players just can't shake off.

Big problem if they go down imo.....look at the amount of players they have 30 +....O'Shea, Brown, Revillere. Don't think Defoe on a 2 and a half year deal was the wisest decision either, him coming in and them having to go 4-4-2 as a result makes them easier to score against as they were at least keeping clean sheets 1st half of the season.

Like us they've been very fortunate to stay up the last few seasons. Eventually it gets you and on today's evidence it looks like this time it will get Sunderland.

They absolutely hate us on RTG but we are more alike than they think, both have American owners who invested heavily at the start, now neither owner are to be seen, both have lurched from one managerial disaster to another, both have been involved in relegation battles for years

It all started to go downhill for them when we had bent off em, at the time they were in the top 10 with bent, gyan and welbeck up front

Now they have Danny graham.

And I said when they signed him, but a 70k a week deal for a 32 year old Defoe was madness.

They absolutely hate us on RTG but we are more alike than they think, both have American owners who invested heavily at the start, now neither owner are to be seen, both have lurched from one managerial disaster to another, both have been involved in relegation battles for years

It all started to go downhill for them when we had bent off em, at the time they were in the top 10 with bent, gyan and welbeck up front

Now they have Danny graham.

And I said when they signed him, but a 70k a week deal for a 32 year old Defoe was madness.

Yes they absolutely hate us.

I believe it started when they signed O'Neill and they were mocking us for pinching our manager.

I then, politely informed them he was a dinosaur and to be careful about giving him money to spend.

They then impolitely said we were all **** jealous, they were going to win the league, Villa were finished and **** off.

O'Neill then dished out his 'retirement package' contracts to AJ, Fletcher, Cuellar, Graham and Saha. All on north of £35k a week by all accounts.

We then mocked, and they didn't like that.

It really confused me as to why Poyet kept Larsson on for the 2nd half. He wasn't even on the pitch for kickoff. Surely you should just make a sub at that point? 

He said he was having his leg stitched up and they couldn't get it finished in time for the second half. 

Sunderland's hate for us started when we signed Bent and got N'Zogbia, despite RTG being certain that he'd sign for them because of  Bruce and what their 'ITKs' had been saying.

We very nearly scored when he was off the pitch. Twice.   If it had gone to 5-0 when they were playing with a self imposed ten men then it wouldn't have surprised me if the chairman had sacked Poyet on the spot and given Mauricio Taricco the job for the last 35 minutes or so. :lol: 

Sunderland's hate for us started when we signed Bent and got N'Zogbia, despite RTG being certain that he'd sign for them because of  Bruce and what their 'ITKs' had been saying.

That didn't help but seems to have gone up ten fold since then.

That RTG is a scary, lawless state, reminisicent of the wastelands of Mad Max.

• Like 4

It does seem like a throwback to a different age on there sometimes. I remeber the whole 'party with Marty' thing as well. I suppose there's a series of things that have happened and I don't suppose today will have helped either.

Edited by useless

Their hatred for us is one of those strange things you'd struggle to explain to anyone else

I thought it came from their belief that they're a huge football club, there's more than a few on that RTG site that swear blind we're a nothing club because we have lower attendances (must be a north east thing) and I thought bent had motioned we were a much bigger team, which they didn't like, which we of course revelled in, which they also didn't like...

They are a huge club.   They have spent most of their history in the top flight, they have more league titles than Chelsea or Manchester City and they get massive gates but the local media is based in Newcastle so they are often perceived as being in the shadow of their less illustrious neighbours.  They are entitled to much better than they are getting at the moment.  

The rivalry thing is weird.  Aston Villa vs Sunderland was the first big rivalry in English football, we were locked in title battles with each other for almost twenty years a decade either side of the turn of the last century. I doubt many fans around today care about that, but the history books do say we were the Barcelona and Real Madrid of the pre war years. 

• Like 1

Â